Request for debt for a 16 year old

Hello. My son has just received a debt letter dated November 8th 2017, which I am very concerned about. I left a voicemail message asking the company for an explanation. He has no way of running up this debt. No previous letters have been received.

The letter reads:
Outstanding balance of £112 due to Evans & Dad Limited relating to services: 06/11/17.
We have been instructed by Evans & Dad Limited to recover the above outstanding debt. All further correspondence concerning this account should be sent to this office.
You should send immediate payment for the full amount by return. Payment instructions are on the reverse of this letter. If payment is received we will have no option but to advise our client of their option to issue legal proceedings against you. A claim would include costs and interest in addition to the amount you already owe.
You should also be aware that an adverse court judgment could seriously affect your credit rating, making it extremely difficult for you to obtain credit from anyone in the future. It is therefore in your own interest to act now and settle this account.
If there is a valid reason for non payment of this account DO NOT IGNORE THIS LETTER. Disputed should be notified to me in writing supported by clear evidence.
Finally if are in genuine financial distress and unable to settle in full you must contact this office to discuss.
Company details: P & J Debt Collection Services.
Halifax CC £1029/£2490, Tesco CC [STRIKE]£0/£3203[/STRIKE], Tesco loan £15431/£15808, Carloan1 £6743/£8241, Carloan2[STRIKE] £0/£3813[/STRIKE]

Pay all your debt off by Xmas 18 =22% £6661/£29865

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    edited 10 November 2017 at 7:42PM
    It could be a fishing exercise, they're writing to everyone with similar details until they catch the right one.

I can't work out what Evans & Dad do. The only result I can find is their Companies House registration which lists them as other sports activities.

Their address brings up more details, Mr Evans and his dad are bankrupts! I'd be contacting the Insolvency Service to report they're still operating their business.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/company/10525217/people
  • Flee_2
    Flee_2 Posts: 770 Forumite
    My son is 16 years old so I do not know where his details have been found. He also has a different surname to adults in the home.
    Halifax CC £1029/£2490, Tesco CC [STRIKE]£0/£3203[/STRIKE], Tesco loan £15431/£15808, Carloan1 £6743/£8241, Carloan2[STRIKE] £0/£3813[/STRIKE]

• Flee_2
    Thank you IAmWales

• IAmWales wrote: »
    It could be a fishing exercise, they're writing to everyone with similar details until they catch the right one.

I can't work out what Evans & Dad do. The only result I can find is their Companies House registration which lists them as other sports activities.

Their address brings up more details, Mr Evans and his dad are bankrupts! I'd be contacting the Insolvency Service to report they're still operating their business.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/company/10525217/people

Umm a notice in the Gazette doesn’t automatically mean bankruptcy. The gazette link you showed showed the company as active.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Flee_2
    After searching on the internet it turns out to be a football league that my son joined. They have his details and because he stopped going they have charged him. Not sure how they can do it without my signature because of his age.

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Flee wrote: »
    My son is 16 years old so I do not know where his details have been found. He also has a different surname to adults in the home.

A fishing exercise as in the person they are after has a similar name but could be unrelated. For instance a John Smith moves away so they send letters to all John Smith, J.Smith, Fred J Smith, etc in surrounding areas.
  • They can’t. He’s a minor and therefore cannot have debt.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Flee wrote: »
    After searching on the internet it turns out to be a football league that my son joined. They have his details and because he stopped going they have charged him. Not sure how they can do it without my signature because of his age.

He may have lied about his age.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    cjmillsnun wrote: »
    Umm a notice in the Gazette doesn’t automatically mean bankruptcy. The gazette link you showed showed the company as active.

I'm afraid the poster concerned does not understand either how CH works or the Gazette works.

EVANS & DAD LIMITED was incorporated on 14 December 2016, the notice in the Gazette simply confirms that the two Evanses were appointed as directors of said company.

I'd be contacting IamWales and demanding damages for defamation.:)
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    cjmillsnun wrote: »
    They can’t. He’s a minor and therefore cannot have debt.

Yes he can actually. It depends on whether the contract is enforceable.

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/contract-law/capacity-in-contract-law/

You'd have to ask a lawyer.
    boo_star wrote: »
    He may have lied about his age.

Possibly.

But certainly not told his mother what he was doing.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure