Affect on pension/credit of an "unrealisable" asset

Is there such a thing as an "unrealisable asset" regards benefits after age 65?

I'm only 54 and still working. but when I retire I'll just have the state pension. I'm expecting what I pay now for my little place should come from pension credit / housing benefit or whatever is in place by then.

I'm worried about my late parents' house which now belongs 1/3 each to me and my brothers. My share is worth about £30K, but my brother lives there, so it's impossible to sell up.

My opinion is that this asset will count as capital as soon at it is sold and that is the time for it to be declared (disclosed?). Am I right? I dread going through appeals and all that wrangle (I know only too well how vulnerable people are treated these days after a run-in with the redundancy service a few years ago), but I don't want to stack up trouble for later which is an even worse situation to me.

I've scanned the websites for the probate, pensions, and benefits and I know there's £16K savings limit to most things for pensioners, but what am I supposed to do if there's no way to turn the asset value into rentmoney.

Anyone with a similar experience? Please let me know.

D.

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,801 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I guess the question may be whether your brother is paying rent for living in your third of a house - he probably should be, and this would then count as income for you ?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    The value of a second property would normally be treated as capital.

The pension credit helpline would be able to advise whether your circumstances would change that.

Bearing in mind the number of years until you qualify for pension credit things may be different then.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What does the actual will say? Does your brother have a life interest in the property?

Here is a link about pension credit and capital.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/690030/dmgch84.pdf

There may be a disregard for a period of time as regards the capital in the property depending on the circumstances. If there is nothing which says your brother needs to live in the property ( age/ disability/ life interest) then you would be expected to get a court order to force a sale to realize your capital.

Pension credit has no capital/savings limit. Any money over £10 K would be counted as income at the rate of £1 for every £500 above the £10K and deducted from your pension credit. Depending on your state pension you may not be entitled to any PC.

Guarantee pension credit gives you an automatic entitled to HB and full CT reduction.

These are the rules at the moment. Things may change in the future.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    D.toleman wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as an "unrealisable asset" regards benefits after age 65?

I'm only 54 and still working. but when I retire I'll just have the state pension. I'm expecting what I pay now for my little place should come from pension credit / housing benefit or whatever is in place by then.

I'm worried about my late parents' house which now belongs 1/3 each to me and my brothers. My share is worth about £30K, but my brother lives there, so it's impossible to sell up.

My opinion is that this asset will count as capital as soon at it is sold and that is the time for it to be declared (disclosed?). Am I right? I dread going through appeals and all that wrangle (I know only too well how vulnerable people are treated these days after a run-in with the redundancy service a few years ago), but I don't want to stack up trouble for later which is an even worse situation to me.

I've scanned the websites for the probate, pensions, and benefits and I know there's £16K savings limit to most things for pensioners, but what am I supposed to do if there's no way to turn the asset value into rentmoney.

Anyone with a similar experience? Please let me know.

D.

It'll count as capital for means tested benefits whether sold or not.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Is the brother living there disabled or a pensioner?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • not the question you asked exactly but the situation with pension credit as I understand it is that the basic state pension is equal to the pension credit amount - so it no longer passports you to the extra benefits of being on pension credit. (full council tax and housing benefit)

Of course - things may change before you reach retirement age - for better or worse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure