Indoor Cat help required

2»

Comments

• It's spring, there are all sorts of things stirring in to life that she's going to see through the conservatory windows and want to get involved in. At 11 months she's basically a teenager who wants to go out drinking/mousing all night. I think carrying her round outside will have only made the temptation worse as now she knows what she's missing.
    If she wants to go out, I'd let her - maybe just a few hours a day and then lock her in again at night? If she's very attached to you anyway chances are she won't go far.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oh gosh - so this!

I've always had rescues and always 2 from the same litter or who have lived together. And like you, I work full time so 2 being company for each other.

I lost one of my old ladies suddenly and unexpectedly last year. I decided not to get another cat as it wouldn't be fair on the surviving cat - my old softie. She seems to be enjoying that she is now the only cat and getting all the attention. I don't think she misses her sister at all. If she does, she certainly doesn't show it.

When the old soft one goes, I'll rescue another couple when I'm ready to do so.

Awww. Cats act differently in these situations. Some pine some are fine. One of the many reasons I love them.

I do have to stay off the local rescue websites though in case I get tempted. One of my friends volunteers there and keeps putting pictures of cats needing homes on Facebook!
  • NeilCr wrote: »
    Awww. Cats act differently in these situations. Some pine some are fine. One of the many reasons I love them.

I do have to stay off the local rescue websites though in case I get tempted. One of my friends volunteers there and keeps putting pictures of cats needing homes on Facebook!

I know where you are coming from! My mum volunteers for Cats Protection so I have a difficult time when ever I see her!
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • We built a cat pen/catio for our indoor 4 (now 3) which they can come and go in as they please. They love it, even today in the snow at least one of them has been in and out several times. We have ramps, benches, bamboo, platforms etc loads to keep them amused. One particularly likes to sit out in the rain! We do also allow them supervised garden time for 15 mins on a Saturday (if its not raining) and more often in summer. They seem quite happy. None of them really try and run out of open doors or anything, although all of ours have been indoor only from kittens (and they are 6 now and dont realise cats can scale garden fences - shhhh) Saturdays they do try and trip us up until they have had garden time. Saying that one wont go in the garden at all, only the pen is safe in her mind. Personally we wouldnt be without a cat enclosure ever.

We did originally start with one Cat, she was alone for 5 years. She started being really clingy and destructive, so we got another cat, unfortunately we got bad advice and went for a single kitten. While it made her less clingy she hated him as he just wanted to play all the time. After he passed (heart defect at 4.5 years) we got two boy kittens. She was 10 by then and happier as they played together and left her alone. Additional cats did stop some of the clingy behaviour, but she was still just my cat and more human like than any of the others. She preferred my company over the cats or other humans, she was the one watching us leave, greating us at the door and sleeping on my pillow. We lost her last month from cancer unfortunately.

Introducing new cats worked for us, but it wasnt easy. Another cat (or two) may work, it depends on the personality of your girl. If I were you I would speak to some local (small)rescues, ones who really get to know the cats in their care (not high turnover places). Bengals, even half bengals are quite strong so you need to be careful about any new cat you bring in. A submissive boy a little bit younger might work, but he will need to be robust enough to withstand a bengals attention, and submissive enough that she isnt threatened by him. Which is why talking to rescues is recommended.

I totally get why you want to keep her indoors, and its a difficult balance keeping her safe while balancing quality life over quantity. However greeting you and being overly happy youre home could be a Bengal trait ( I believe they are a bit dog like?), if she was super unhappy you would probably see destructive or naughty behaviour like furniture or carpet scratching, pooping in naughty places even over grooming.

Hope some of the above helps.
  • Bengals are very vocal anyway. Mine talk to me (loudly) about anything and everything and they need attention and a lot more play/interactivity.
    We have a cat wheel which the older one loves and we also have plenty of high spaces they can jump on a a floor to ceiling cat tree they constantly go up and down on.
    We had a single bengal then at 10 months decided to get another before the first got too used to being on his own. The best decision we made as they play with each other and snuggle up together. :j
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Could you try a male foster cat to see how she goes with him? Just explain you'd like to adopt but aren't sure how she will be?
    I've introduced plenty of cats, including an 8yr old male to 7/8 & 9yr old males, and all is ok, generally you can tell which cats are better as only cats or with dogs
    I have brother & sister, and the female would live alone if anything happened to her brother, but i'd get another if he was left alone as he's so laid back & would be fine.
    Personally, I don't buy the argument about rabbits & hamsters, last I heard they didn't mark/have territory & hunt, if you have a pet then I believe (unless pedigrees that wouldn't be safe), they should get to behave naturally as much as poss. If an indoor cat is wanted, get an older indoor only rescue
    I'd rather mine only live to be 5, but love life & get to go out, than make 21 living inside
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure