Time to mend and make do, beg, borrow and barter.

Comments

• Good read for me today from Mrs Frugalwoods.

Hi there!

Since we’re all trying to spend as little as possible this month--and reform our money habits in the process--take a look through your pantry, fridge, and freezer today. Therein are things you’ve spent money on, but haven’t yet eaten. It’s like discovering a previously undiscovered goldmine! And now, we’re going to enact a plan to eat all of this previously undiscovered food!

Eating your way through the backlog of food you have on hand is a wonderful way to:

Spend less on groceries this month.
    Adjust what you buy at the store each week. When you find expired/uneaten old food, let this inform your future grocery lists.
    Combat food waste.
    Cut down on clutter.
    Become a more glamorous person! At least in the Uber Frugal Month community. I will think you’re glamorous.
    Today’s mantra: I will eat all the things!!!!

Today’s action: Start combing through your pantry, freezer, and fridge and make plans for all the foodstuffs you find.

Today’s recommended reading: Eat ALL the Things!

Food for thought for me - lots to think about.
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,709 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Mmm, food... :D

Took me several weeks I think just reading a post or two a day. But I do like to do that when I find a blog that I really like :)
  • troglodyte
    troglodyte Posts: 697 Forumite
    Good read for me today from Mrs Frugalwoods.

Today’s recommended reading: Eat ALL the Things!

Food for thought for me - lots to think about.

Funny you should say that, but that's exactly what we are doing! Yesterday morning I explored the back of the cupboard and the spare bedroom (where we had stored apples and pears) and then sat down with the freezer list (yes I keep a list of what's in there so I don't have to spend ages rummaging looking for things that aren't actually there any more!) and recipe file and came up with a plan for the next 10 days or so, using up lots of those things. Then I had to go shopping for fresh veg and a few other bits and pieces to go with those things but still, it should keep us going for a while.

Yesterday was orange chicken with fried rice, followed by blackberry and apple crumble, so that used up chicken, orange rind and some blackberries from the freezer, plus apples from the bedroom. Today I think will be cottage pie with red cabbage - pie filling in freezer after we made a batch previously, potatoes from OH's parents' allotment, cabbage in freezer left over from Xmas. And there's still enough of the crumble to finish off.
  • Well done Cheery - that's good work its an interesting blog.
    Trog - I have a freezer list too so you're in grand company. I have 5kg plums and erm 7kg of tomotoes.......hardly space saving.

7 neeps in the fridge - oh dear, neep issue - aye, they were all around 9-17p I love a good neep. And a large cauliflower. Sounds like you're pretty organised.

We've a fair bit of fruit/veg in freezer - a bit of fish (cod, salmon and monkfish) and some meat although less since the visitors, pesky munchers although I stashed a tenderloin in there that I didn't add to the list.

:D

Last part of treatment for an hour then final bits and taxi driving time.

Been ferretting through a few blogs and mentioned this one on GP's lovely page, although the Schezwan cauliflower looks more appealing than the bananaskincurry one, which like GP I'm not sure is high on my list to try. Although I think I'd oven bake the cauli - I do like roasted cauli at the best of times.
  • troglodyte
    troglodyte Posts: 697 Forumite
    We like a good neep too; I like them creamed or else sliced and roasted, and of course great in sups and stews. That cauli recipe looks tasty too. But best of all is the banana-skin one! I have read several things in the past year saying what a waste it is to throw away banana skins (although ours go in the compost so I don't really consider that waste) and how good they are for you, but I've looked all over and not found a believable recipe that used them, apart from a smoothie suggestion which really didn't look appealing! I will defo try that!
  • starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hope all went well today Pippi
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • starnac wrote: »
    Hope all went well today Pippi

Seconded. Thinking of you all. XXX

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £184.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £27.83/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Morning chaps!

Thanks for all the lovely wishes yesterday - everything seemed to go to plan and no reaction to the new treatment so here's hoping. I can't imagine the kindness in these organisations, the cheerfulness and the sharing of advice and support. Its very very humbling. And, I don't care what folks say about the food - everything provided was lush, hot and tasty. I took in some bicies to replenish the tin.

Spends yesterday were on mags from the treats budget and £4.12 in there too for biccies for the nurses tins. And, 2 x 2ltrs milk at 35p that's now in the freezer.

That was about it - soup for tea at home, himself had noodles.
    Read up lots about this years flu - sounds a bit gruesome, NS (New Scientist) had a v good article on it.

Left a stash of magazines at the hospital, let someone else enjoy them.

Email from the shares folk to fill in an online form, need to get that done.

House is in general chaos - must sort that.
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Glad to hear treatment is going ok for your wee mither (was thinking of you both).
    (((((HUGS)))))
    :A
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Glad your Mum's treatment went well. And sure both staff and patients will enjoy the goodies you've left them.

Have a good weekend.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport