Considering separation from Disabled partner

Comments

• Cold, callous, self serving and condescending comes to mind.
    It takes a special sort of person to walk out on a disabled wife and two little children. You appear to be such a person.
    Those poor little children will be psychologically damaged for the rest of their days. Time heals, but the memory stays.
    At their age they live for the day.
    Father walks out that is when their grief sets in, unless of course you keep them in the dark too about your leaving.
    Your loyalty should be to your children's happiness, which is not just about ensuring that they have the physical things.
  • Helen2k8
    Helen2k8 Posts: 361 Forumite
    Pollycat wrote: »
    We may all be doing the OP's wife a disservice here.
    Maybe she's not as clueless about the state of the marriage as the OP thinks she is.
    Maybe the OP isn't as good at hiding his feelings and surreptitious future arrangements as he thinks he is.
    Maybe the 'news' that the OP no longer loves her and wants out will come as a relief to his wife.

I hope she is making her own plans and presents OP with the fait accompli. Perhaps it would remind him how that feels.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Even then if he didn't want children, I know of two failsafe ways of not getting a woman pregnant. It's not entirely OPs fault these children are here, but he could have done more, even if his wife was absolutely insistent, don't mean you can't say no, she is chair bound, how much can she do without his consent?
    It's funny how when it comes to judging others, it is assumed that every actions people take/decisions people make are thought with an ability to see perfectly in the future and know exactly how they will feel then.

We all know that deciding to have children can be a bit of a Russian roulette moment. We could almost come up with reasons at the time why it might not be good idea, but people do, fall in love with their kids, manage and are over the moon that they took the plunge.

I expect OP has been confused emotionally almost from the time of diagnosis. It's very hard to go from thinking you're going to have a perfectly mapped future with all the things that people aspire to, to accepting that the reality might not be that dream. Also, I expect that the severity of the illness might have come to them as a surprise. MS is a very unpredictable illness, which can progress very slowly or very quickly, affect people only mildly, or very severely, and can hit sufferer suddenly, but then leave them able to live a normal life for many years in between.

Many people with MS have children and are perfectly able to cope. I expect it's not has much the diagnosis that has made it hard for OP to cope but the severity of it. Being away is only going to make it harder. Many marriages fall apart because of physical distance that gradually becomes emotional distance too. Disability in the mixed is only going to make it harder.

That letter was horrible but OP has made it clear that this was an exercise to allow him to get his feelings out, feelings that he has probably kept inside for a long time now and is starting to affect him psychologically.

I think people are being very harsh and would probably be much more understanding if they were in OP's shoes.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Those poor little children will be psychologically damaged for the rest of their days. Time heals, but the memory stays.
    Talk about emotional blackmail! Children are resilient and don't get damaged by events as much as how these events are managed and how they are supported through them.

Why would these children be more damaged than any other children of divorced parents? The situation is hard, but it would always have been whether OP stayed in a failed marriage or moved on but remaining a great father.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    FBaby wrote: »

I think people are being very harsh and would probably be much more understanding if they were in OP's shoes.

Don't mean to quote you, but maybe don't get married if you don't mean it?
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Talk about emotional blackmail! Children are resilient and don't get damaged by events as much as how these events are managed and how they are supported through them.

Why would these children be more damaged than any other children of divorced parents? The situation is hard, but it would always have been whether OP stayed in a failed marriage or moved on but remaining a great father.

Living with parents that carry on in a loveless marriage is psychologically no better than parents getting divorced. I certainly wish mine had stopped doing the 'right' thing and seperated, maybe they could have been happy.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    It's funny how when it comes to judging others, it is assumed that every actions people take/decisions people make are thought with an ability to see perfectly in the future and know exactly how they will feel then.

We all know that deciding to have children can be a bit of a Russian roulette moment. We could almost come up with reasons at the time why it might not be good idea, but people do, fall in love with their kids, manage and are over the moon that they took the plunge.

I expect OP has been confused emotionally almost from the time of diagnosis. It's very hard to go from thinking you're going to have a perfectly mapped future with all the things that people aspire to, to accepting that the reality might not be that dream. Also, I expect that the severity of the illness might have come to them as a surprise. MS is a very unpredictable illness, which can progress very slowly or very quickly, affect people only mildly, or very severely, and can hit sufferer suddenly, but then leave them able to live a normal life for many years in between.

Many people with MS have children and are perfectly able to cope. I expect it's not has much the diagnosis that has made it hard for OP to cope but the severity of it. Being away is only going to make it harder. Many marriages fall apart because of physical distance that gradually becomes emotional distance too. Disability in the mixed is only going to make it harder.

That letter was horrible but OP has made it clear that this was an exercise to allow him to get his feelings out, feelings that he has probably kept inside for a long time now and is starting to affect him psychologically.

You're talking about the OP being emotionally confused, about his future not being what he expected and MS being a surprise.

I'll bet it came as a much bigger shock to his wife.
  • OP, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If you stay, you will have a lifetime of pretending that everything is OK. This is not good for you, for her, or for the kids, in the long term. Not really. And if you try to do that, then at some point in the future you might very well leave anyway, because it's unsustainable.

If you go, you will always wonder if you could have made a go of it. You will feel enormous guilt. Every time your kids make a less-than-perfect choice in their lives you will blame yourself.

I think you know all of this already, and you are trying (by writing it down and coming on here) to work out which of these hells is the least worst for everyone.

No-one on here knows the answer to that question. No-one. Not even the ones who are so quick to condemn you for even thinking about it.

And that's another thing - people are perceiving you as cold and clinical because you are thinking it all through before making a decision. Do they really think it would be better if you just walked out in a moment of madness? If you look at all the options, you are labelled as cold, clinical, and doing things behind her back. If you hadn't thought about it at all, people would be yelling 'Think, man, think!!'

You have my deepest sympathy.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 October 2017 at 8:48AM
    I also have a feeling that the replies would have been entirely different had the OP been female.

It is very sad, but it will not be the first marriage to break up and won't t be the last.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I also have a feeling that the replies would have been entirely different had the OP been female.

It is very sad, but it will not be the first marriage to break up and won't t be the last.
    I have a feeling that the replies would have been entirely different if the OP hadn't posted that appallingly cruel letter that he had been considering sending.

Speaking personally, I haven't made any comments to the OP that I wouldn't have made if the OP had been a woman.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure