Buyer 5 hours away fragile item collection only....

Afternoon

How much in fees will I lose from refunding £30 paypal payment please? I can't find a straight answer on the internet...

It was free insertion but I think I lose £3 ebay selling fee?

Paypal has already deducted about £1.28 but I have to refund £30....

I don't sell on Ebay much any more, & now I know why...listed several random items, all collection only as they are fragile & impossible to post.

Some someone 5 hours drive away has paid paypal for one of these items.

My listing states cash on collection in the title & twice in the listing in large bold letters...& states my county. So there was a slight clue that I'm not local & I don't want paypal...

I have sent a very polite email explaining fragile can't post blah blah but I need to refund the paypal payment.

Can I ask them to cancel the sale? Even though they have paid? Such a long time since I've sold anything & don't actually recall having to refund ...

I have already blocked this person from buying anything else..

Yes I have read the "sticky" but my brain is too frazzled to think straight at the moment.

All advice welcome.

Not fussed about a neg as I only sell every few years, & possibly this is the last time ever at this rate...

Thank you
Lurking in a galaxy far far away...

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,186 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you cancel the sale using the reason 'problems with buyer's address' the refund goes back through paypal and all you lose is the 20p paypal fees.

If you have read the sticky about the problems of cash on collection then you will know that you can't insist on cash.
    Has your buyer definitely said they can't collect as it might be that they have plans for collection. I once sold some extremely large paintings and someone who lived over 100 miles away dropped in to collect on their way back from holiday.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Dark_Star
    Dark_Star Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I know I can't INSIST on cash but other (local) buyers have turned up clutching the folding stuff so clearly they can read.

All my items are just not possible to post & I wouldn't even trust myself to walk to the end of the road without dropping them!

Buyer has not responded at all... not even asked for my address...

Paypal refund page just offers an invoice number & a message box - is the address issue on the next page?

We're not exactly a tourist area but I guess they could be visiting family/friends but wouldn't you have said that in an email/paypal message? They're over 300 miles away...

I have bought non local stuff (not 5 hours/300 miles away though) but always ensured that I can collect & assure the seller that I have transport & fit around their availability.

So I'd be down 20p & the ebay selling fee of possibly £3? If they can't collect/cancel sale then it's going to charity.

Thankyou
  • soolin
    Dark_Star wrote: »
    I know I can't INSIST on cash but other (local) buyers have turned up clutching the folding stuff so clearly they can read.

All my items are just not possible to post & I wouldn't even trust myself to walk to the end of the road without dropping them!

Paypal refund page just offers an invoice number & a message box - is the address issue on the next page?

We're not exactly a tourist area but I guess they could be visiting family/friends but wouldn't you have said that in an email/paypal message? They're over 300 miles away...

I have bought non local stuff (not 5 hours/300 miles away though) but always ensured that I can collect & assure the seller that I have transport & fit around their availability.

So I'd be down 20p & the ebay selling fee of possibly £3? If they can't collect/cancel sale then it's going to charity.

Thankyou

I would not use the 'can't read' argument as ebay rely on the fact that sellers can read the terms and conditions that say buyers remain able to use paypal if they wish.

As for cancellation - you need to be on ebay to do that not paypal. If you follow my advice to cancel via the reason 'buyer's address' then you get a box saying that when you agree to refund the refund will be sent and the buyer contacted to agree to cancellation. In practice the refund automatically cancels the sale with no recourse to the buyer.

How long ago was the sale incidentally as it needs to be cancelled this way within 30 days, so if buyer is dragging their heels don't wait too long.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary

Thankyou

Your first post is hard to read because it is SO SPACED OUT! I don't often say that but on a phone I've lost the plot....

If you cancel as per soolin's suggested way, you will only lose the 20p Paypal transaction fee. You are reimbursed by eBay for the selling fee.

When was the sale, when did the buyer pay and have you actually heard from them?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I sold an item on ebay and someone from Scotland bid on it, i thought no chance will they come that far for this item worth very little. But the guy turned up.

Seems he had bought a few items all around the UK and had a road trip planned to collect them all.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    I (in London) have travelled to Scotland to collect an item before, by plane actually! This led to a rather lucrative relationship with the seller who had a lot of other items for sale, for which he avoided the ebay fee :p

Sadly nowadays our messages would probably get us both banned for trying to trade outside ebay...
  • jennyjj
    jennyjj Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    zerog wrote: »
    I (in London) have travelled to Scotland to collect an item before, by plane actually! This led to a rather lucrative relationship with the seller who had a lot of other items for sale, for which he avoided the ebay fee :p

Sadly nowadays our messages would probably get us both banned for trying to trade outside ebay...
    What were you doing? Smuggling haggis into England? :rotfl:
  • Dark_Star
    Dark_Star Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    All now sorted bar whatever PayPal may charge for receiving & refunding for a cancelled sale.
    Buyer did not realise we were so far away....
    Thank you to those that were helpful; been a long time since I sold on EBay as these days I just buy...all in the name of moneysaving of course!

(I definitely was not offering haggis !)
  • soolin
    All now sorted bar whatever PayPal may charge for receiving & refunding for a cancelled sale.
    s !)

As per my post above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure