Getting rid of bonds: would that be a silly thing to do?

Hi all,
I am 45, investing 1000 monthly in a 75% (global) equity /25% (strategic) bond, active portfolio. As it seems that bonds are going nowhere I am considering replacing that entire 25% with an equity global small-cap fund (small-cap are not currently catered for in my allocation). Apart from that, I have one-year worth of salary in saving accounts.
Would this be a crazy idea to implement?
I would appreciate your expert opinions and suggestions.
Thank you

Comments

• Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Only you can decide. Its what I do though
  • Sean473
    Sean473 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    gif1 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am 45, investing 1000 monthly in a 75% (global) equity /25% (strategic) bond, active portfolio. As it seems that bonds are going nowhere I am considering replacing that entire 25% with an equity global small-cap fund (small-cap are not currently catered for in my allocation). Apart from that, I have one-year worth of salary in saving accounts.
    Thank you

I'd replace with the global small cap equity fund - The Baillie Gifford Global Discovery Fund, which is what I have is doing really well!
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    gif1 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Thank you

You'll be increasing the volatility of your portfolio. If you hold a bond to term you'll get the income and your capital back. If you hold bond funds you might expect the price to fall for a few years, but if you reinvest the income you'll do ok if you hole the funds long enough.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    On the face of it, it is a significant change in the risk profile of your portfolio, although I share your distrust of bonds in the current environment, I previously had an 80:20 equity:bond split but have now moved that to 80:20 equity:cash, and yes I do know the cash element is eternally losing to inflation, but am concerned about the short and medium term outlook for bonds so have done the ultimate de-risking of that part of the portfolio.

Hopefully only a temporary measure and will move back into bonds when we get further along the interest-rate normalisation path and there is less uncertainty in the outlook.

That said though I do like holding some small cap in my portfolio and currently hold some of the Standard Life Global smaller companies OEIC as well as Baillie Gifford Global Discovery/Edinburgh Worldwide Investment Trust.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 June 2018 at 7:21AM
    A few months ago I was watching a video with Shaun Port the chief investment officer at Nutmeg (those fees are paying his salary) and after yapping about the benefits of share/bond portfolios he mentioned that 'as a professional investor' he is 100% equities.

It did leave me wondering if you are investing long term (with no need to withdraw) and understand the nature of market ups and downs so would not be tempted to sell low - then there might be a case for going 100% equities. However it is a higher risk strategy and you would have to spend a lot of time getting comfortable with the potential paper losses you will see along the way.

When you first start a new regular investing account it seems a good time to go 100% equities as you have very little to lose while the balances are low. Then you get to a middling point where you have enough money that you worry it might be lost. However if you can 'break through' maybe you get to a point where you have excess money for your needs in any reasonable scenario the so volatility matters less again.

Efficient frontier theory might say you are getting a sub-optimal return for your risk with 100% equities however if you are likely to end up with more money at the end then does that really matter?

Alex.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    I asked myself the same question.

Given the state of the bond market I think that the %age of fixed interest depends on a couple of things other than attitude toward risk:

1) Investment timescale
    2) Volatility.

OH and I are within a few years of full retirement/beginning drawdown but we intend to stay invested throughout retirement. We therefore need access to part of our portfolio beginning in around 3/5 years but plan to keep the majority invested for at least 15 years.

I decided to split the core 2/3rds of our portfolio (global passives) three ways for access planned in three investment periods: 5/10 years (40% bonds), 10/20 years (20% bonds) and 20+ years (100% equities). The other third of the portfolio (our satellite funds which include small cap) is 33% invested in an actively managed, short-term corporate bond fund. This type of bond dosen't feature in our passive holdings.

The fixed interest element will (I hope) reduce the volatility of funds drawndown in the first period of retirement. Cash may prove to be a better approach but receiving zilch in interest in a SIPP for maybe 4/10 years is a guaranteed, inflation-related loss that makes me wince. I would rather take the risk that the yield on the bonds will go some way to protect against inflation.
  • MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    You haven't mentioned which bond fund(s) you are in, but presumably you originally bought into them in the knowledge they wouldn't gain you as much in an equity bull market, but they wouldn't then lose as much when that bull market goes south - and that's what they are there for really, to dampen the volatility in your overall portfolio.

It's all too easy to look at your portfolio and decide this or that isn't doing too well at the moment, so I'll switch to something performing better - chasing returns. Making the switch now would mean selling a lower performer and buying a higher performer - and with the equity markets currently at or near record highs, it sounds an awful lot like selling low(ish), buying high......

I share your current concerns about bonds, but I also have similar concerns over equities at the moment too, especially in the US (usually a large chunk of most global equity funds). I have no crystal ball though, and so I can't tell you definitively, one way or another, what the markets are going to do.

In the end, it has to be your call - it's your money after all......however, in your shoes, I think I'd be adopting a "steady as she goes, let's see where this leads" approach at the moment.

If you decide to switch, I might consider doing it in stages rather than in one hit (though I accept this too could go either way), but at 45, you may well have the time to recover if the equities market does turn south in a big way.....
  • ams25
    ams25 Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How long are you planning to work/when will you need to access the money.

As stated switching from less volatile bonds to highly volatile small cap suggests your asset allocation strategy needs some more consideration. They can't both be suitable for your needs/risk profile.

If you're 10-15 years from retirement/needing the money and can tolerate high volatility in your portfolio (ie see it half in a 2000/2008 type market) then go ahead and switch.

If you are looking to retire earlier (55 or less) and need funds in the shorter term and/or the thought of seeing your portfolio fall c.50% would cause you too much angst then holding bonds/cash in the 20-40% range makes more sense.

I moved from 80% equities pre retirement to c.50% in early retirement. But I was lucky that I started retirement in a bull market and could make the transition after I stopped work. Suffering a large market drop just before/at the start of retirement would have really really hurt. Since I quit work and I have spent time reading more about retirement planning I now realise my error in not planning better. When you are nearer retirement a more safety first approach makes sense.
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 June 2018 at 9:58AM
    Look at how Vanguard's US Lifestrategy funds have performed since their inception. There are 4 funds: 80% equities, 60% equities, 40%, 20%. Over time everything converges - at the moment equities is the place to be but maybe not when the next crash happens.

tszSsto.png
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sean473 wrote: »
    I'd replace with the global small cap equity fund - The Baillie Gifford Global Discovery Fund, which is what I have is doing really well!
    Filo25 wrote: »
    That said though I do like holding some small cap in my portfolio and currently hold some of the Standard Life Global smaller companies OEIC as well as Baillie Gifford Global Discovery/Edinburgh Worldwide Investment Trust.
    Global Discovery is an interesting fund and has done especially well since the beginning of April. Unfortunately it is no longer the beginning of April.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure