Paying money to wrong account

Options
Not sure if this is in the right place but hoping someone can help. I had a payment arrangement with a debt so I set up a standing order about a year ago. I have just received an email saying they haven't received any money so when I have checked my bank I have put the last two digits of sort code as 83 instead of 75.

Is there anyway of getting this money back? it was only £10 per month so only about £120 but not the point.

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nikkim2175 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is in the right place but hoping someone can help. I had a payment arrangement with a debt so I set up a standing order about a year ago. I have just received an email saying they haven't received any money so when I have checked my bank I have put the last two digits of sort code as 83 instead of 75.

Is there anyway of getting this money back? it was only £10 per month so only about £120 but not the point.

Contact your bank - they will look at retrieving the money for you. Be aware this is normally done on a 'best endevours basis' as there is no bank error just human error.

All the best.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to get in touch with your bank. It could be resolved easily if the incorrect account holder doesn't dispute it's not their money.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And take this as a warning to thoroughly check your statements on a regular basis.
  • nikkim2175
    nikkim2175 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks I will ring bank and see what they say. I do check my statements, the detail of the creditor is right but statements don't show the account number and sort code.
  • RandomUser923759
    Options
    What is checking your statement going to do? The 10 was still leaving...
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nikkim2175 wrote: »

It's worth checking that the account ending in 83 is a valid account and your money hasn't been going into a bank's black hole slush account:

https://www.sortcodes.co.uk/
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    I am surprised the debt company took a year to contact you about receiving no payments normally they would get pretty shirty after the first payment was missed
  • nikkim2175
    nikkim2175 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    The company I am paying is actually in liquidation so its going to the liquidators and they don't have funds to chase debts.
  • Birdman2015
    Birdman2015 Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    It's worth checking that the account ending in 83 is a valid account and your money hasn't been going into a bank's black hole slush account:

https://www.sortcodes.co.uk/

Sorry to hijack this thread but I did something similar with a payment of £498, 1 digit out on the sort code. I have checked the site you listed and the sort code and account number combo is not valid.

I have raised it with the TSB who say it could take 5 weeks to sort out. I assume the fact the account is not valid means I should get the cash back ok eventually?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I did something similar with a payment of £498, 1 digit out on the sort code. I have checked the site you listed and the sort code and account number combo is not valid.

I have raised it with the TSB who say it could take 5 weeks to sort out. I assume the fact the account is not valid means I should get the cash back ok eventually?

As the sortcode/account wasn't valid it will have gone into a suspense account at the sortcode, so TSB will need to advise the receiving bank who will need to identify the payment and return it to TSB. It's a straightforward admin process and really shouldn't take as long as 5 weeks, but it may depend on whether the receiving bank have got the staff to do the work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure