Idiot -proof spreadsheet for savings and interest

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    colsten wrote: »
    What's your plan for when you don't work there any longer? Will you buy your own Excel licence? will you migrate to a free spreadsheet?
    I used to buy a cracked version of Office from Thailand regularly for years but then my employer signed us up to Office365 with home use allowed. My Office365 subscription was linked to my corporate account/email and when I retired it lapsed after a few months as my employer deactivated the account. Much as it pained me to do so, I have purchased a personal subscription for £59.99 pa. After a couple of decades I don't feel too bad about it now and at least I get all the updates, new releases and 1TB cloud storage which is handy for sharing videos etc. Not very MSE I know but you can't win 'em all
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    ColdIron wrote: »
    £59.99 pa.
    pa :eek::eek:

Why not use Google Sheets, for £0 pa?
  • ColdIron
    colsten wrote: »
    pa :eek::eek:

Why not use Google Sheets, for £0 pa?
    Yeah yeah I know, but I also buy most of my food from Waitrose, hang me for it :D
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    Do you invest with HL too? Or use quilted loo roll?
  • ColdIron
    Alexland wrote: »
    Do you invest with HL too? Or use quilted loo roll?
    Yes, I have a 6 figure unwrapped IT portfolio with them for which they don't charge me a brass farthing in annual fees. I'm happy with it and may look into quilted loo roll :cool:
  • TrustyOven
    TrustyOven Posts: 746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    OpenOffice / LibreOffice for me. Excel won't work on my type of computer, and I don't want to pay 59.99 pa for the "cloudy steam-like vapour" version :O

I've started slowly building up a spreadsheet, taking screenshots of JohnRo's Income thread as inspiration, but it's a long way off from being really usable. I tried to implement unitisation but I just can't get my brain around how to keep things updated as I go along.

Most of my tracking is done in a GnuCash style application.

Nothing wrong with quilited loo roll! :)
    Goals
    Save £12k in 2017 #016 (£4212.06 / £10k) (42.12%)
    Save £12k in 2016 #041 (£4558.28 / £6k) (75.97%)
    Save £12k in 2014 #192 (£4115.62 / £5k) (82.3%)
  • Alexland
    edited 9 October 2017 at 1:12PM
    Ok you are excused using HL but don't use too many sheets of that pricey loo roll. The country just can't afford it these days and we're all in it together - think of the poor kids! They need shoes that match and don't have holes for the winter.
  • ColdIron
    A brief investigation reveals that quilted loo roll is very competitively priced, certainly cheaper than the swan necks I've been using to date and far easier to obtain in bulk ;)
  • Alexland
    edited 9 October 2017 at 1:18PM
    Would it be cheaper than the old fivers I have been using? I need a change as I can't get on with the new ones. I don't know what market research they did to think plastic was a good idea.
  • sjp999
    sjp999 Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ColdIron wrote: »
    A brief investigation reveals that quilted loo roll is very competitively priced, certainly cheaper than the swan necks I've been using to date and far easier to obtain in bulk ;)

I take the Swan necks require more of a to and fro flossing action, did you have to redesign the porcelain apparatus much?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure