Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Options

Comments

• Orville
    Orville Posts: 1,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I have a question.

If you go self employed after your DRO ends, or just before and you know the business will not make any money to begin with. Can you still get a business account and are there any recomendations if you can?.

I currently have a current account with Santander.
  • Josie64
    Josie64 Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    I posted last year after talking to the CAB and she said that a pension pot is classed as an asset, now I know the rules have just changed for this, so hubby has just phoned up our debt advisor at CAB and she said he can go for the debt relief order but I have would have to go bankrupt and can't do DRO as the joint debts when under my name take my debts over £15,000 but when the joint debts are under hubby's name then obviously I'm under £15,000.

what I was wondering, is it just the CAB who have to be an intermediary or can it be an accountant?

and how does it affect your outgoings/life, we have broadband/calls/line rental with BT at £60 ( we're still in a 12 month contract with them), I've read that the phone threshold is £29, is that correct? and is that for landline and/or mobile , hubby has a mobile contract at £20 month.

also we already have a basic bank account with Yorkshire Bank where wages go in and bills go out and also have a basic account with Nationwide to pay direct debits, would we lose either of those?

also hubby has a credit union account at work, we save £10 week, £5 is towards car tax and the rest is being saved towards a washer as ours is 15 years old and freezer is approx ten years old. does DRO affect the credit union account?

sorry for all the questions, just fed up that now the pension rule has changed that the CAB says that it's the joint debts holding us back.:(
    Do I have to elect for all my debts to go into the DRO? I spoke to someone many months ago who said I could chose what went in? Is this right??
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Options
    Josie64 wrote: »
    I posted last year after talking to the CAB and she said that a pension pot is classed as an asset, now I know the rules have just changed for this, so hubby has just phoned up our debt advisor at CAB and she said he can go for the debt relief order but I have would have to go bankrupt and can't do DRO as the joint debts when under my name take my debts over £15,000 but when the joint debts are under hubby's name then obviously I'm under £15,000.

what I was wondering, is it just the CAB who have to be an intermediary or can it be an accountant?

and how does it affect your outgoings/life, we have broadband/calls/line rental with BT at £60 ( we're still in a 12 month contract with them), I've read that the phone threshold is £29, is that correct? and is that for landline and/or mobile , hubby has a mobile contract at £20 month.

also we already have a basic bank account with Yorkshire Bank where wages go in and bills go out and also have a basic account with Nationwide to pay direct debits, would we lose either of those?

also hubby has a credit union account at work, we save £10 week, £5 is towards car tax and the rest is being saved towards a washer as ours is 15 years old and freezer is approx ten years old. does DRO affect the credit union account?

sorry for all the questions, just fed up that now the pension rule has changed that the CAB says that it's the joint debts holding us back.:(

With regards to joint debts, if the balance of the debt is £1000, you both owe £1000. It doesnt get split or assigned to one person. If your husband did a DRO and you didnt do anything, you would still owe £1000 (on this hypothetical debt), so if they amount of debts which your name are on are more than £15000, that's where CAB are coming from...

DRO intermediaries are people who have been through a special training course and test in order to be qualified to do the DRO. CAB, CCCS and NDL all have approved intermediaries in their ranks, any organisation that wants intermediaries has to apply to the IS to become a "competent authority."

there are specific guidelines and trigger figures for the DRO, but on the paper budget, where you may be high on one figure, you may be low on another, but your intermediary will address that when completing forms. The other side of it is that if your husband does a DRO, they will only want to see his income and his expenditure, so items like that can be assigned to the partner if the budget fits and figures are high.

chances are you wouldnt lose your basic accounts, unless you have debts with either company. The only bank I've seen close accounts to people with DRO's when no debt is owed to them is Santander.

With regards to the credit union account, as long as the balance doesnt go over £300 then this is no problem. if the balance of savings go over £300 then this is an asset which would cause any DRO to be revoked

I hope this all helps... If CAB are delaying you then try CCCS or NDL
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Options
    astra_man wrote: »
    Do I have to elect for all my debts to go into the DRO? I spoke to someone many months ago who said I could chose what went in? Is this right??

All debts must be included within the DRO. I think the person who told you otherwise may have been confused. some debts are classed as excluded, but they are student loans, tv licence arrears, criminal fines and child support arrears. these excluded debts dont count towards the £15k mark and must still be paid. Everything else must go in
  • Josie64
    Josie64 Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    wba31 wrote: »
    With regards to joint debts, if the balance of the debt is £1000, you both owe £1000. It doesnt get split or assigned to one person. If your husband did a DRO and you didnt do anything, you would still owe £1000 (on this hypothetical debt), so if they amount of debts which your name are on are more than £15000, that's where CAB are coming from...

DRO intermediaries are people who have been through a special training course and test in order to be qualified to do the DRO. CAB, CCCS and NDL all have approved intermediaries in their ranks, any organisation that wants intermediaries has to apply to the IS to become a "competent authority."

there are specific guidelines and trigger figures for the DRO, but on the paper budget, where you may be high on one figure, you may be low on another, but your intermediary will address that when completing forms. The other side of it is that if your husband does a DRO, they will only want to see his income and his expenditure, so items like that can be assigned to the partner if the budget fits and figures are high.

chances are you wouldnt lose your basic accounts, unless you have debts with either company. The only bank I've seen close accounts to people with DRO's when no debt is owed to them is Santander.

With regards to the credit union account, as long as the balance doesnt go over £300 then this is no problem. if the balance of savings go over £300 then this is an asset which would cause any DRO to be revoked

I hope this all helps... If CAB are delaying you then try CCCS or NDL

the CAB aren't delaying, it's just the joint debts that seem to be an issue, she says that if hubbys goes for DRO then the joint debts will be assigned to me.

can't we contact the creditors of the joint debts and asked for either me hubby to be named as sole debtor?

in the past when creditors contact us, the alliance and leicester overdraft always contact hubby and TSB overdraft always contact me,I think the reason for that maybe because the alliance/leicester account was in hubby's name originally and my name was added at a later date and the TSB account was in my name originally and hubby's name was added at a later date.

it's just frustrating because we thought we could finally do something about clearing the debts:(
    Josie64 wrote: »
    the CAB aren't delaying, it's just the joint debts that seem to be an issue, she says that if hubbys goes for DRO then the joint debts will be assigned to me.

can't we contact the creditors of the joint debts and asked for either me hubby to be named as sole debtor?

in the past when creditors contact us, the alliance and leicester overdraft always contact hubby and TSB overdraft always contact me,I think the reason for that maybe because the alliance/leicester account was in hubby's name originally and my name was added at a later date and the TSB account was in my name originally and hubby's name was added at a later date.

it's just frustrating because we thought we could finally do something about clearing the debts:(

You can try ringing the creditors to remove your name, but i dont think they would go for it while there is money owing on the account, simply because they would be thinking that they dont want to do that, incase the person who's name is left on the account then goes bankrupt/does a DRO, and they do not have the security of being able to chase person number 2...

You should just be able to do the DRO for your husband, even if you are not sure what to do yet. it doesnt need to be done together.
  • sarah1773
    sarah1773 Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anybody have any information of what happens once the DRO is finished after a year? I know that it stays on your credit rating for another 6 years. But is there any way to improve your credit record or put any notes on it so it doesn't look quite as bad?? Otherwise I think I'm doomed to living with my parents for the next 6 years as no landlord/estate agent will want a tenant with a DRO so I've been told.
  • Diddley_Squat
    Options
    I have a question I'm hoping someone here can help me with.

A friend is in the process of applying for a DRO and the CAB needed her employers address but wouldn't tell her why. Do the people who decide if she can have a DRO contact her employers at all as she doesn't want them to know her business?

Many thanks.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I have a question I'm hoping someone here can help me with.

A friend is in the process of applying for a DRO and the CAB needed her employers address but wouldn't tell her why. Do the people who decide if she can have a DRO contact her employers at all as she doesn't want them to know her business?

Many thanks.

There's a section on the online form for employer details. I asked (in the early days) if the DRO Unit routinely contacted the employer and was told 'only if there's an attachment of earnings order.'
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback