EON smart meter bill increase

Jbaz82
Jbaz82 Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi,

My elderly mother recently had a smart meter installed by EON. She has now received her first bill from this meter and her usage has gone up 150% since last year and she is now £500 in debit. She lives in a small 2 bedroom flat and they are saving she uses more energy than my family of 5 in a 3 bedroom house. Having gone over the paper work she was has been on an economy 10 meter as she has storage heaters. It appears they have tried to get her on to a smart meter several times by saving they are phasing out her meter. The last letter said that they is she doesn’t change her meter by a certain date that she will be moved onto a different tariff. This has obviously scared her and she got it changed.

Are they allowed to do this? It’s almost pressure selling?
And will it be a problem me changing her supplier now she has a smart meter?

I’m obviously going to take over doing this for her now but I am going to contact EON to complai. Sorry for long post

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Probably nothing to do with Smart meters - go back over the last years readings - are they actual or estimated.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I guess she is no longer on economy 10
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena
    E.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Posts: 2,359 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Jbaz82 wrote: »
    Hi,

My elderly mother recently had a smart meter installed by EON. She has now received her first bill from this meter and her usage has gone up 150% since last year and she is now £500 in debit. She lives in a small 2 bedroom flat and they are saving she uses more energy than my family of 5 in a 3 bedroom house. Having gone over the paper work she was has been on an economy 10 meter as she has storage heaters. It appears they have tried to get her on to a smart meter several times by saving they are phasing out her meter. The last letter said that they is she doesn’t change her meter by a certain date that she will be moved onto a different tariff. This has obviously scared her and she got it changed.

Are they allowed to do this? It’s almost pressure selling?

I’m obviously going to take over doing this for her now but I am going to contact EON to complai. Sorry for long post

Good morning Jbaz82 and welcome to the forum.

Just a couple of things to check first if that's ok :)

When your mother had the E10 meter, were the bills all accurate? Was everything billed up to date for the meter exchange?

Now she has a smart meter, is it E10, or E7? Do you know the tariff that we've used to bill?

Is the current bill accurate? Although it's smart, still have a check of the reads.

It sounds like the property is all electric with storage heaters, so there may have been some extra work when changing the meter to make sure the heating was wired correctly.

You're doing the right thing in speaking to us, ask to speak to the simpler metering team, as this is where the letters will have come from.

Thank you

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • FullForce
    FullForce Posts: 177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Jbaz82 wrote: »
    Hi,

My elderly mother recently had a smart meter installed by EON. She has now received her first bill from this meter and her usage has gone up 150% since last year and she is now £500 in debit. She lives in a small 2 bedroom flat and they are saving she uses more energy than my family of 5 in a 3 bedroom house. Having gone over the paper work she was has been on an economy 10 meter as she has storage heaters. It appears they have tried to get her on to a smart meter several times by saving they are phasing out her meter. The last letter said that they is she doesn!!!8217;t change her meter by a certain date that she will be moved onto a different tariff. This has obviously scared her and she got it changed.

Are they allowed to do this?
    It!!!8217;s almost pressure selling?

I!!!8217;m obviously going to take over doing this for her now but I am going to contact EON to complai. Sorry for long post

What type of E10 was your elderly mother on? Was it a 2 rate or a 3 rate tariff?

E.on wrote to all customers on a 3 rate tariff (and posted about it on this site) that the remaining E10 3 rate meters were coming to the end of their natural life.

Therefore they needed replacing.

Options were:
    1. A 2 rate E10 meter
    2. An E7 meter
    3. A single rate meter.

These were not smart meters, although your elederly mother could presumably opt for a smart meter if she wished. The government has said that all customers must be offered smart meters by the end of 2020 ... but there is no obligation on the customer to accept the smart meter offer.

Yes, the supplier is allowed to do this.
    In fact, EDF were recently fined £350k for missing their 2017 target for smart meter rollout.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure