IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Napier Parking County Court Claim

DAVIEG9
DAVIEG9 Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 16 April 2018 at 8:19PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi all,
I've scoured the newbie threads and I am a bit unsure of what to do.

Driver of vehicle pulled into a Napier controlled car park in Birmingham around 7 months ago. Parking attendant knocked on window and said I needed a ticket, driver said 'no need I'm off'.
No ticket issued.

A week or so later I started receiving the usual letters which I ignored, but I cannot recall a letter with photographic evidence of my vehicle parked, just letters demanding payment.

This week I've received a county court claim form from the county court business centre in Northampton, via BW Legal.
On the same day I have also received a letter from BW Legal confirming they have issued legal proceedings.
County Court claim is made up of;
Principal debt, interest, court fees and Solicitors costs

What I have gleaned from the forum so far is to login to moneyclaim.gov.uk and use the acknowledgment of service so I now have 28 days to prepare my defence. i have completed this.

Could you guys tell me my next steps please?
I'm not sure whether to use a template?
Can I email a defence letter, or does it need to be posted etc?

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    All advice is set out for you in the Newbies FAQ thread.

See #2 there.

Assuming that you have not revealed who was driving then edit your post to remove details of who was driving

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    This week I've received a county court claim form from the county court business centre in Northampton, via BW Legal.
    Search the forum for Napier BW Legal claim and copy & adapt another one (not a template as such, but copy & edit to suit and show us).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You have 33 days from date of issue of the claim form, and the court will need to have RECEIVED it by then - so you always always email them a PDF of your signed defence.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2018 at 9:09AM
    Surely this is a vexatious claim, and certainly a waste of court time.

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • DAVIEG9
    Hi all,

I have drafted a defence letter below, please let me have your feedback.

I am a little confused - do I need to send any letters to Napier?
    Where do I send this defence to?
    Can I email it to the court?

1. I am xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, the defendant in this matter. My address for service is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. This is my statement of truth and my defence.

3. As an unrepresented litigant-in-person I seek the Court's permission to amend and supplement this defence as may be required upon full disclosure of the claimant's case.

4. For the avoidance of doubt on the relevant date I was the registered keeper of a XXXXXXXXX, registered number XXXXXXXXXXX.

The claim is denied in its entirety except where explicitly admitted here. I assert that I am not liable to the Claimant for the sum claimed, or any amount at all, for the following reasons:

5. The Claim Form issued on the XXXXXXXXXXXXXX by Napier Parking Limited was not
    correctly filed under The Practice Direction as it was not signed by a legal person but signed by “BW Legal Services Limited (Claimant’s Legal Representative)”.

6. This Claimant has not complied with pre-court protocol. And as an example as to why this prevents a full defence being filed at this time, a parking charge can be for trespass, breach of contract or a contractual charge. All these are treated differently in law and require a different defence. The wording of any contract will naturally be a key element in this matter, and a copy of the alleged contract has never been provided to the Defendant.

A) There was no compliant ‘Letter before County Court Claim’, under the Practice Direction.

B) This is a speculative serial litigant, issuing a large number of identical 'draft particulars'. The badly mail-merged documents contain very little information.

C) The Claim form Particulars were extremely sparse and divulged no cause of action nor sufficient detail. The claimant has 1080 characters yet has chosen to use only 792 (including spaces) of them.

D) The particulars of claim give no information on the alleged “parking contravention”, nor the “FCN Terms and conditions”, signage or location maps upon which the claimant relies.

E) The claim shows no basis for the alleged liability or as to why the claim has been brought against myself as merely the registered keeper of the vehicle.

F) The Defendant therefore asks the Court to strike out the claim as having no reasonable prospect of success as currently drafted.

G) Alternatively, the Defendant asks that the Claimant is required to file Particulars which comply with Practice Directions and include at least the following information;

(i) Whether the matter is being brought for trespass, breach of contract or a contractual charge, or to state another reason entirely, and an explanation as to the exact nature of the charge
    (ii) A copy of any contract it is alleged was in place (e.g. copies of signage).
    (iii) How any contract was concluded (if by performance, then copies of signage maps in place at the time).
    (iv) Whether keeper liability is being claimed, and if so copies of any Notice to Driver / Notice to Keeper.
    (v) Whether the Claimant is acting as Agent or Principal, together with a list of documents they will rely on in this matter.
    (vi) If charges over and above the initial charge are being claimed, the basis on which this is being claimed.

H) Once these Particulars have been filed, the Defendant asks for reasonable time to file another defence.

7. The defendant refutes that they were the driver of the vehicle at the time of the alleged “parking contravention”.

8. The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 has not being complied with. The registered keeper has not been proven as the driver, as such the keeper can only be held liable if the claimant has fully complied with all of the strict requirements.

9. The defendant asserts that no ‘notice to keeper’ was received, and therefore it is clear that the claimant has not complied with The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012. The registered keeper cannot be held liable.

10. The defendant refutes that fact that any contract was made with the driver, in the absence of any proof of adequate signage that contractually bound the driver then there can have been no contract and the Claimant has no case.

11. The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 does not permit the Claimant to recover a sum greater than the parking charge on the day before a Notice to Keeper was issued. The Claimant cannot recover additional charges. The Claimant claims a sum of £80 as a “Fixed Charge Notice (FCN)” (for which liability is denied) plus The Particulars of Claim include £54 that the claimant has untruthfully presented as contractual charges, which cannot be lawfully recovered. The defendant also has the reasonable belief that the charges have not been invoiced and/or paid.

12. This case can be distinguished from ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 (the Beavis case) which was dependent upon an undenied contract, formed by unusually prominent signage forming a clear offer and which turned on unique facts regarding the location and the interests of the landowner. Strict compliance with the BPA Code of Practice (CoP) was paramount and Mr Beavis was the driver who saw the signs and entered into a contract to pay £85 after exceeding a licence to park free. None of this applies in this material case.

13. The Defendant denies any liability whatsoever to the Claimant in any matter and asks the Court to note that the Claimant has, sent a template, well-known to be generic cut and paste 'Particulars' of claim.

The vague Particulars of Claim disclose no clear cause of action. The court is invited to strike out the claim of its own volition as having no merit and no reasonable prospects of success.

I confirm that the above facts and statements are true to the best of my knowledge and recollection.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 April 2018 at 10:28PM
    post #2 of the newbies faq sticky thread tells you what to do including a timeline etc

put simply , you will be printing it , signing and dating it (like the one that came in the post) , scanning it back to a laptop , saving it as a pdf and emailing it to the CCBC as an attachment , also adding the MCOL ref and name etc to the email

see post #15 here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818329

post #19 here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5812149

and post #33 here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5823827
  • DAVIEG9
    Hi again,

Ok, defence submitted online, court has sent me a letter confirming they have my defence.

Today I've received another letter from BW Legal, stating;
    'Our client intends to continue with the claim, we confirm that we have notified the court of the same"

Is this a generic letter sent to everyone? Or is it an acknowledgement that they have seen my defence and will contest it?
    Can they view my defence before the court date?

Any info appreciated
    Thanks
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    yes, all of the above (and they have now already read the defence as the court sent it to them)

read the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread post #2 for a timeline and sequence of events

DQ stage comes next
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    DAVIEG9 wrote: »
    Can they view my defence before the court date?

Yes.

Until they see your defence there is no court date!

(The claimant has to pay a fee for a hearing, and this isn't until they have had your defence and can decide whether or not to pay out for the hearing (if they lose they lose the court fee - if you lose you pay it!)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    They got sent your defence by the CCBC, of course.

To know what happens when, you MUST read bargepole's summary in the NEWBIES sticky thread.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure