MSE News: Theresa May promises to launch energy price cap bill next week

The Prime Minister Theresa May has promised to publish a new draft bill setting out plans for an energy price cap which applies to standard variable tariffs....
Read the full story:
'Theresa May promises to launch energy price cap bill next week'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Get prepared for a series of SVR increases from any Utility Co. who hasn't increased recently!!:eek:
  • Well thats something and nothing :rotfl:
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Will this kill zero standing charge tariffs like the PPM cap? Time will tell.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The energy market punishes loyalty with higher prices.

Perhaps, but it’s far from the only one that does.
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Get prepared for a series of SVR increases from any Utility Co. who hasn't increased recently!!:eek:

Get prepared for any cheap fixed deals to mysteriously vanish
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Kite2010 wrote: »
    Get prepared for any cheap fixed deals to mysteriously vanish
    That really depends on how any cap would be implemented. If it was a case of the annual increase was capped with plenty of notice before the cap started, it probably wouldn't affect much.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    boo_star wrote: »
    Perhaps, but it’s far from the only one that does.

What is wrong with that anyway? What exactly is loyalty when it comes to an energy provider???? You used a product of theirs and they sold it to you at the agreed price. They don't love you and I don't see why anyone would invest emotionally into an energy provider.

Do people really want to be rewarded for complacency?
  • Sandcrawlers
    Sandcrawlers Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 5 October 2017 at 12:13PM
    It is great news to hear about the energy price cap, but what about the energy companied refunding money they still owe. I joined British Gas in 14 May 2014 on the Discount Fix May 2015 and on the 15th the day after the tariff was not applied to both Gas and Electric supply. This Dual fuel tariff was only applied to Electric yet it was sold to me for both supplies (mis-selling). It is not October 2017 as still not had a correct refund and the SLC-27.17 - Issuing a Final Actuate bill with 6 weeks termination of supply has still not happened. In addition the EnergyUK Back Billing code has still not happened after the 12 months of leaving British Gas and they has charge me (Estimated) for Electric and Gas when I have used this elsewhere. British Gas choosing to ignore actuate Meter readings and replace with Estimated :mad:. This has been to The Ombudsman Service - Energy (several times) where they choose to ignore the consumer (Me) and only listen to one side of the argument British Gas. So in reality paying to the energy twice over (overlap in meter readings). It is estimated that British Gas owe me £946 on (Electric) one account alone, yet they also owe for the Gas account and the Feed In Tariff (FITs) Solar Panel payments too since 2015 estimation £2,500+ for all three accounts. HRMC also state about 8% compensation settlement payment per annual. And British Gas just put phone down when they hear my name (a bad penny lol)

Could I also add why the Daily Standing Charge, what is it for errrrm Meter Services i.e. sending out a meter reader like G4S to read there meter, yet they ask us to do there job that we are paying them for. Shouldn't British Gas etc. be paying us for doing there job and what I am paying them to do, lol.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 October 2017 at 3:17PM
    This has been to The Ombudsman Service - Energy (several times) where they choose to ignore the consumer (Me) and only listen to one side of the argument British Gas. So in reality paying to the energy twice over (overlap in meter readings). It is estimated that British Gas owe me £946 on (Electric) one account alone, yet they also owe for the Gas account and the Feed In Tariff (FITs) Solar Panel payments too since 2015 estimation £2,500+ for all three accounts. HRMC also state about 8% compensation settlement payment per annual. And British Gas just put phone down when they hear my name (a bad penny lol)

Consumers need to think carefully before pressing The EO key. You are agreeing to independent arbitration based on the evidence offered in support of your complaint, and evidence held by the supplier. Sadly, the customer doesn't get to see what is held on your file unless a SAR is raised and actioned before The EO gets involved. Once The EO ball is rolling it cannot be stopped. A Final Decision is made that the consumer either accepts or rejects. Rejection gets the supplier totally off the hook in that neither the supplier nor The EO will discuss the matter any further as you are finding out.

You only option now is to take the supplier to The Small Claims Court. It helps if The EO was firmly on your side.

PS Your supply and generation contracts are wholly separate and should not be conflated in an attempt to get a resolution.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 October 2017 at 4:02PM
    Could I also add why the Daily Standing Charge, what is it for errrrm Meter Services i.e. sending out a meter reader like G4S to read there meter, yet they ask us to do there job that we are paying them for. Shouldn't British Gas etc. be paying us for doing there job and what I am paying them to do, lol.

Standing charge is supposed to cover things that are unrelated to how much gas or electricity you use, so things like network maintenance and their office costs, customer service etc.

Although in reality I expect money is not ring fenced, so it's just a gamble on your part. Like if you sign up for a 500 minute mobile tariff, you might be paying for more minutes than you use or maybe not enough and the out of tariff calls give you bill shock.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure