Packing Tips

Place a sheet of bubblewrap at the bottom of your case(s), it won't affect the weight or bulk but may come in handy if you buy delicate gifts on holiday. Also pack a small roll of sellotape.

Take photocopies of your family passports and place inside the case(s) to make it easier to get emergency replacement passports if they're stolen/lost.

Tie a brightly coloured ribbon onto the case(s) handles and you'll easily spot your cases coming off the airport conveyor belt.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.

Comments

• monomer
    monomer Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good tips, thanks :)

You can also try wrapping items of clothing around valuable items and placing these in the centre of the suitcase.

I'm not sure how useful the 'fragile' stickers you can sometimes get are. Somebody once told me it just encourages the luggage handlers to throw them around!! :o
    Tie a brightly coloured ribbon onto the case(s) handles and you'll easily spot your cases coming off the airport conveyor belt.

This would be useful unless everyone else followed your tip! Then you'd end up wading around heaps of suitcases with coloured ribbons on! ;D
    "...And I gave that man directions, even though I didn't know the way, 'cause that's the kind of guy I am this week." -- Homer Simpson
  • Take photocopies of your family passports and place inside the case(s) to make it easier to get emergency replacement passports if they're stolen/lost.
    . . . or leave a photocopy of your passport / insurance cert / driving licence with someone back home who could fax them to you in an emergency.

. . . or scan them and e-mail them to yourself before you travel -- so you can always get access to them from the nearest Internet cafe.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Resurrecting this post might help KG. ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • KG
    KG Posts: 333 Forumite
    Resurrecting this post might help KG. ;)

Did you resurrect the wrong one there Nile?? ;)

You busy getting tips on packing so you can go off on your hols??

My tip to add to the bunch is the old 'roll don't fold' one. Leaves less creases in your clothes apparently.

KG
  • Suewre
    Suewre Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the tips. We are of to Florida in July, or first 'Foreign' holiday, so all tips like these gratefully received.

I have a question though. MiL asked me the other day if we wanted to borrow her Holiday Towels for the beach. These must be getting on for 20 years old and by the description are totally tasteless! But we hadn't intended on taking any beach towels. We assumed we would be able to take the hotel one's out with us. Should we be taking towels with us? It seems to be such a waste of luggage space.
    Quidco cashback paid out so far £745.89 :j
  • Nile
    I agree Suewre, it would be a shameful waste of space in your cases.............especially on the journey back from the US with all your cut price purchases. ;D

You may not want to lay on a sun lounger and don't want to smuggle a hotel towel onto the sand.

Why not buy a cheapy beach towel while you're in the US or take one of your old towels from home? Then you can bin it/leave it behind to make space in your case for all of your purchases.
  • Suewre
    Suewre Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We had thought about buying towels over there. There are four of us and we are there for 3 weeks. Taking them with us and leaving them behind does seem a good idea. Then I can make sure I buy cheap ones and not just have to get what I can find over there. I live in Torquay, so there are plenty of cheap holidaymakers shops here. Only 11 weeks and we will be there. I know people go on holiday everyday, but we haven't been able to afford one like this before. A week in Butlins or a weekend in Liverpool (to go to Anfield) is not in the same league.
    Quidco cashback paid out so far £745.89 :j
  • Nile
    By the way Suewre, some more tips about the US, in case you haven't been told.

On the return journey from the US, everyone has to remove their shoes at the airport........so don't wear lace ups. ;)

US immigration are very strict on bringing fruit/vegetables/meat into their country and have sniffer dogs in Miami airport.

Duty free choice is a bit poor at US airports, better to buy your purchases (perfume in particular) at a department store or outlet before you reach the airport.
  • ksh123
    ksh123 Posts: 1,248 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    gosh Nile is that true? or a wind up?
    I have NEVER had to remove my trainers coming back from US not have I ever seen anyone having to do so! I used to go back and forth from US alot, last trip 12 months ago though, so maybe its a more recent development? How odd amd smelly given heat humidity and nervous passengers lol. :)
    Stop looking for answers....
    The most you can hope for are clues.....:)
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    we had to remove trainers coming back from NY last Feb 2003 and again this year must just look dodgy I guess

as for packing tips:

get married, everything appears to pack itself
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family