Options if you have no phone line . . . .

Hi, we're currently on Virgin 50 fibre deal paying £30+ per month. We don't have a phone line, no socket in the house and no phone line coming in to the house, nothing. Our Virgin broadband is delivered underground from the street.

What options do we have in trying to reduce the price in our broadband package?

I've checked companies like Hyperoptic and Relish and they don't yet cover our street/house.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments

• Depends how much internet you need - You could just scrap VM and get a good mobile deal and share the connection to all your devices - All other services include a landline charge whether or not you use it - It you went to anyone other than VM they would install a landline as part of the BT connectivity so at least you would get what you are paying for
    If I ruled the world.......
  • Thanks. We use the internet for browsing, email etc . . . . and we do currently watch TV through it (iPlayer etc) as we don't have a TV aerial.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you sure BT OR dont service your street .
    Put your postcode in the MSE BB comparison site .
  • Thanks. No, only Virgin Media options turn up on the comparison.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Are you sure you're not restricting the search to fibre only?
  • If I unclick "phone line rental" (we have no phone line in to the house) and do not click either "standard" or "fibre" broadband then yes only Virgin deals come up.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    But if you want to go to another provider, you'll almost certainly need a phone line. Try again with line rental ticked, otherwise, you'll have to stick to mobile broadband.
  • If you are really stuck check if you have any BT hotspots near you, if you are with Virgin the hotspots will be free to access.

Another way is take your laptop to the library and see if you can connect to the cloud wifi, its free for 3 hours however register with a different email each time will give you another 3 hours everytime.

Apart from that i am out of ideas.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just have to blag it with virgin.

Say you are thinking of moving to fibre with someone else for 23 a month.

They should do you a deal for 25 ish for 6 months

You need to do this every year
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,915 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I'm on the same contract as the OP (Virgin 50, no landline) and I rang last week to tell them I was leaving as they were putting their price up mid-contract. I'd compared providers and found equivalent deals with Now TV and Plusnet for £25 and £27 respectively. I didn't even have to haggle much as the person I spoke to pretty much instantaeously reduced my monthly bill from £31 pcm to £25 pcm for the next 12 months stating a 'loyalty bonus'. You will get a better deal if you ring up but make sure you have alternative options to switch to as they will ask. Do a comparison for broadband only deals for whatever speed you think you need before you call them.
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family