So frustrated with BT fttp

I live in a very rural location, have no mobile signal and very poor broadband. Fibre to premises through bt is now available in my area so I signed up for it in September. I was given a date of 15/10 for it to be installed and that morning my telephone line was transferred to BT. When the engineer arrived he realized it couldn't be installed on that date
as a road closure was required. It was scheduled for the end of October. Meanwhile I was left with no broadband at all, my very low speed service with the previous provider was taken over by BT. The day after the first scheduled installation date I phoned to complain and asked why they couldn't have left me with the previous provider or supplied me with a basic broadband service. They said they would do that, today is the proposed date for that and I'm still waiting for the connection. In the circumstances I'm reluctant to pay the 60pds installation fee for fttp. Am I justified?

Comments

• @Streamside
    I sympathise with your predicament but I would coach patience.
    Getting FTTP installed can be a task as it does involve new engineering works which as you have found out, involves roadworks for your location. This is new technology and needs civil works to bring you its benefits.
    But once it is installed you will quickly forget about the work involved and will appreciate the fast speeds and reliability you get from FTTP. And you will never want to go back to slow ADSL lines.
  • Yesterday I had been assured that a temporary broadband service would be provided to bridge the gap to ftto installation and that this would magically be sorted by midnight. Nothing happened, still no broadband. I appreciate that fttp may require a bit more work but the initial survey didn't pick up that there was a road between my house and the pole, it's not rocket science. Today they tell me that I'd need to wait another 5 days to get temporary broadband.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Dare I ask how much for FTTP to your "very rural location"?
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    J_B wrote: »
    Dare I ask how much for FTTP to your "very rural location"?

Prices are as per the BT website. Looking at your location if you are near Oswestry you can get FTTP
  • 60pds per month and 60pds of an installation fee.I'm 6 miles from the exchange and my talktalk broadband averaged about .17 so I don't really have any choice. I'm very unimpressed with BT so far but they're claiming it'll be installed this week.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 October 2018 at 9:23PM
    waamo wrote: »
    Prices are as per the BT website.
    Does one have to use BT?

waamo wrote: »
    Looking at your location if you are near Oswestry you can get FTTP

Nope - top right corner, not left! ;)
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 21 October 2018 at 9:30PM
    BT are the cheapest at an arm and a leg. Others are available at both arms and both legs.

I don't know if FTTP is available in the land of gingerbread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure