All the single ladies vs 145k

Comments

• sofarbehind
    sofarbehind Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hello diary,

I can't believe it's been two months since I checked in. Eeek. This year is passing so quickly, the last few weeks are a blur.

I have continued with the mortgage overpayments and was really pleased with my annual statement, the outstanding balance has dropped from £145k to £138k. I know this is a lot less progress than most of you but as I'm relatively new to OPing I'm pleased. Somehow in my head I expected the balance to be unchanged. After another year I will start to see progress. I'm chipping away at saving too and have saved £6.5k as an emergency / moving fund. When this hits 10k I will increase the OPing, hopefully by the end of the year.

I would still like to move to my preferred area and have booked an appointment with a mortgage advisor in a few weeks to discuss the possibility. At least I will know where I stand and can talk things over properly. If it's not possible in the near future I'll come back to it in 3-4 years after I've really hammered the mortgage down.

I am surprised and really proud to say that I have stuck with my running despite finding it a big struggle. I did a huge organised 10k race recently and found myself tearing up on the start line because the journey there was a hard one. It's not often I'm proud of myself so it was a lovely moment. 10k doesn't seem that far now. I'm working on getting faster and going further now.

I've applied for a scholarship to do a masters and am crossing everything that it's a lucky break...

Hope you MFWs are all ok. x
    Mortgage overpayments 2018: £4602, 2019: £7870
    Mortgage overpayments 2020: £4620
    Mortgage 2017 £145K, June 2020 £112.6k:o
  • sofarbehind
    Hello diary,

I have been terrible at updating this. Still chipping away at saving and overpaying. Had a meeting with a mortgage advisor and had my house valued by a few agents. I think I'd been extremely pessimistic and irrational about the situation. I'm not trapped here by any means and can move if I want to. It's a popular area and my place is estimated to have gone up 15-25k, I imagine that is an inflated figure but I'm not in negative equity like I'd convinced myself.

Gradually over the past six months my feelings have started to change. During the valuation I realised I'm becoming attached to my lovely little home, my pretty, quiet and safe street, my wonderful neighbours. I've been decorating the house to make it easier to sell and in the process started to nest. After all the fuss I made! All those wasted hours feeling sorry for myself. What was I thinking??! I remember why I bought here. I think I will move eventually to my top location but I'm not ready to do it yet and it's my choice.

Sadly I didn't get the scholarship. Gutted but am dusting myself down and moving on. I'm applying for a horribly, horribly expensive course at a top uni instead. If I get in I will invest in my education and use it to work towards a career change. I think the 12-18 hour days I'm putting in at work aren't something I want to do long term. They're making me so tired I don't want to travel 30-40 mins to social activities after. That's the problem, not the area. So I have a plan.

I'm thinking of upping my OPs by an extra 200/month, I can make serious, serious inroads on the mortgage if I do that. Plus if I'm studying in my spare time I will be too busy to spend. As I'm going to be here over winter I need to make sure I'm not cold. It was freezing downstairs last year. I'm going to see how much a wood burner and shutters would be...
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Great news on the house valuation and even better news that you're feeling settled there.
    Good luck with your new course

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • jaelato1
    jaelato1 Posts: 139 Forumite
    This is quite inspiring and Good luck with your course :)
  • sofarbehind
    edited 6 August 2018 at 6:45PM
    Hello MFWs,

I have increased my monthly OPs to £546/month, feeling more confident now that I have a bigger emergency fund behind me. That should make much bigger inroads on my mortgage balance. I'll be panic saving again if I get accepted on this course and have 12k of fees to pay but I'll manage and it will be over 2-3 years. Ultimately I'd like the OPs to be as much as the mortgage payment but I'm not ready to commit to that yet. I'll see how I get on with this for six months first then reassess. Hopefully I will adjust and feel confident enough to increase again.

I've been trying to sell unwanted stuff on ebay and gumtree, really pleased to have made £400 and decluttered. Will have a rummage and see what else I don't need to hang on to. Haven't priced up shutters or a woodburner yet, prioritising my education and I suppose an oil filled radiator would do for this winter if it's too much of a stretch.

I'm still running, have started to actually enjoy it, which is great as it's free. I have recently joined a gym too, not an expense I wanted but I picked up an injury and need to cross train. I'm managing 2-4 classes a week depending on work. When I'm better I will probably ditch it. Love Pilates though..
  • Hello Diary,

As usual it has been a long time. An important milestone has passed in my MFW project; I have paid off the first 10k on my mortgage. I've been here for 18 months now, I know it has taken me a long time compared to a lot of people but it's still the first bit of progress I've made. I calculate that at the current rate of OPing in another 12 months the next 10k will be gone. I'll feel a lot better then.

I'm about to part with most of my savings for uni fees and feel very scared. When you grow up poor I think it gives you a risk adverse mindset and I keep worrying that it's a terrible way of investing my money. What it I don't manage my planned career change and I pay £12k for the privilege. I know I'm very lucky to have the option of doing this but I feel so scared I might back out of it.

Feeling a bit down and lonely again. Just forcing myself to go through the motions as you have to sometimes. I feel so envious of people with good families. I'd give anything for a sympathetic parent I could call for TLC. Utterly pathetic at my age I know.
  • life is always a bit of a roller coaster... some ups then lows... hope it doesn't last too long for you. Good luck with uni. I'm hoping my module will be paid for by my bosses but not this semester unfortunately.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • It's almost a year since I started my diary. I haven't achieved everything I was aiming for and it's been a mixed year but I'm in a better position now.

Still going with the £546/month OPs. I have spent most of my emergency fund on tuition fees and a wood burner. My house is actually warm now so I'm glad I took the plunge eventually. Focussing on rebuilding the savings next year and then I will think about increasing the OPs again. Have another 4k of course fees to pay for too.

Overall I have been sensible with my money this year, the course is painfully expensive but it could eventually lead to a higher paying job so fingers crossed one day it will pay off. I had hoped to be making higher OPs by now but ended up spending it on education.

I'm in the middle of applying for a new job, it's a long process so won't know the outcome for ages. Recently failed to get another job I desperately wanted. I was gutted when I didn't make the final interview. I am trying to just keep looking for new opportunities...it's tough outside of London.

I stuck with the running and somehow managed a slow half marathon. Really proud of myself for that. Love my running friends. Keeping this up but really struggling to breathe at the moment which is frustrating.

Still wish I wasn't in this area but I'll just wait it out a bit longer and see what happens with work and house prices.

Need to set myself some targets for 2019 now :)
  • I have serious wood burner envy, am feeling the cold! Well done on progress this year and good luck with the job application :)
  • selloptape wrote: »
    I have serious wood burner envy, am feeling the cold! Well done on progress this year and good luck with the job application :)

Thanks, crossing my fingers and toes.....
    Sorry you are cold, I was miserable last winter and the log burner has made such a difference. Not cheap but definitely worth the investment.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family