Help please uc payment!!

Can someone please help me, every month my universal credit assessment period runs from the 20th up until the 19th of the following month. This month my payday from my job fell on the 19th, my UC statement is saying I got paid over the amount I did, adding the 2 months wages together. Surely this can’t be right as the assessment runs from the 20th up until the 19th of the month, surely they can’t class me being paid on the 19th? That makes the assessment period 4weeks & 1 day?

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    SymWeir wrote: »
    Can someone please help me, every month my universal credit assessment period runs from the 20th up until the 19th of the following month. This month my payday from my job fell on the 19th, my UC statement is saying I got paid over the amount I did, adding the 2 months wages together. Surely this can’t be right as the assessment runs from the 20th up until the 19th of the month, surely they can’t class me being paid on the 19th? That makes the assessment period 4weeks & 1 day?

UC is monthly assessment periods, not 4 weekly.

If you are paid 4 weekly then there will be a time when UC takes into account 2 wages. This is because your 4 weeks wage is lower than a months wage, and therefore you are getting extra UC each month.

It will go back to normal next month.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If your normal employers pay day is the 20th of each month, then for UC period 20/9/18 to 19/10/18, you will have 2 wage slips paid during this period, because 20/10/18 was a Saturday.

Next month your wages won't be considered by UC, as your next employers payment is on 20/11/18, which is outside of the next UC period.

Does not make budgeting easy and if you will struggle then ask UC whether there is a budgeting advance available.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    There's a good explanation here
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-different-earning-patterns-and-your-payments/universal-credit-different-earning-patterns-and-your-payments-payment-cycles

Note that if the double wage results in a Nil UC payment for the month you have to make a rapid reclaim in order to keep the claim going.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    calcotti wrote: »
    There's a good explanation here
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-different-earning-patterns-and-your-payments/universal-credit-different-earning-patterns-and-your-payments-payment-cycles

Note that if the double wage results in a Nil UC payment for the month you have to make a rapid reclaim in order to keep the claim going.

For future reference, UC don't automatically close a claim if there is a nil payment statement.

A decision can be made by UC to close a claim, if there are two nil payment statements in a row caused by earnings being considered exceeding total of benefit elements.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    huckster wrote: »
    For future reference, UC don't automatically close a claim if there is a nil payment statement.

A decision can be made by UC to close a claim, if there are two nil payment statements in a row caused by earnings being considered exceeding total of benefit elements.

The DWP guidance I referenced says “your income may be too high to qualify for Universal Credit in that month. If this happens you will be notified that your income is too high and you will no longer get Universal Credit. You can re-apply the following month.”

This guidance clearly indicates that payments are suspended following a NIL assessment period unless claimant reapplies. Are you suggesting this isn’t what happens in practice?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure