Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means

Comments

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi PF..thanks for the name check :D...v sweet of you. Have subscribed and look forward to cheering you on your way. Au pair has to be a good idea...it used to work very well for us. We had 2 (one of whom stayed for 4 years) and they are still much loved by my DDs and now good family friends. It certainly cuts the childcare bill and to keep the hours up when they were at school, ours also used to do 3-4 hrs p.w. cleaning/housekeeping. Result! One thing to think about is where you live, if you're not on a regular bus route then that can be tricky for au pairs as I never wanted to loan my car out. Thinking about it, we got a bike for them but then in Bristol that's a popular mode of travel and we are on a main route into town.

Liking your progress PF..and look forward to seeing you on the small things thread as well..

Brizzle x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hey Brizzle thanks for stopping by, I do post on your diary occasionally but have changed my username, so may have confused people - apologies :o I think it was HelleBelle that was going to get an aupair, currently DH stays at home with the smalls, but judging by your and HB comments, would be well worth considering in the future when he goes back FT. We're on a bus route too :T

I've had a busy day, moving forward if not achieving :o Queued for ages on phone to speak to mortgage advisor, part 1 completed. Have list of paperwork I need to find for part 2 and an appointment :eek: need to put on to do list.

Tried to cancel mobile as phone now unlocked. Not possible, department had gone home by the time I got through :(

Also trying to find out when various parts of my broadband etc.. are out of contract. I'm thinking definitely now, but I want to check. Found out I'm paying £4 for unlimited calls when I don't have a phone :eek: they want me to sign up to a new 'deal' to reduce the £4 sounds a bit of a swizz but I don't want to confirm without knowing when another price hike is on the horizon as could be worse off in long run. Again relevant department had gone home by the time I got through ;) Will try tomorrow.

Think between my new sim only deal, broadband swaps, boiler cover swap and DH phone (July) we should be about £40-50 a month better off to go straight in the 'pot'. Plus my new (company) car should be here June, which will be more tax efficient than current, meaning more in the 'pot' too. Don't want to wish my life away at all, but do just want to see more in the 'pot' :D

DH made tea, lovely chilli. Left overs for tomorrow with a jacket for his lunch I would imagine. Used last of excess rice I cooked earlier in week. Am considering batch cooking some and freezing for speed in evenings. As it was brown rice it didn't clump like white can, hmmm something to ponder. Right off for a small PAD before bed.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Forumite
    Well, I've managed to do some more of a re-check in some of our core items. Managed to get
    £4 taken off phone without signing up to a new contract. I've also got a new sim only deal for £8.40 rather than the £22 they wanted to increase my current bill to. I have updated my spreadsheet accordingly.

This week will be about reducing boiler cover if I can and getting DH to check when he can go sim only on his phone.

We've got some more (paper) paint samples, will pin on the wall tomorrow. I also need to walk to post office and post one fleabay item. 4 more are due to sell tomorrow, will package them ready for payment.

We still have a small amount on our cc which we are paying down at every opportunity, I've made a pad the last 2 days :D

Lovely day with dd2, went to market for weeks fruit and veg. I found a new deli (a previous weakness of mine :o) I bought a loaf and a scotch egg for DD Nd DH to share. Went to the distribution centre of my business and picked up an order for one of my customers and some products for myself. Will text customer tomorrow and tell her how much she owes. Profit will go straight to CC

Watched Harry Potter with dd1 tonight for the first time - happy times.

Also whole week without coffee or Diet Coke as part of my detox, feel surprisingly good and bloat has definitely deflated some :rotfl:

Might go to material warehouse tomorrow to look at some material to make curtains, thinking this maybe a cheaper option that buying. Also as we're working our way around the house, if I could master it, it would be useful in the long run :D I have a machine already that was gifted that I've used previously.

**wanders off to research making curtains **
  • PurpleFairy26
    Forumite
    Evening diary :hello: well a lovely weekend has been had by all and very productive :T sold half a dozen things on fleabay, identified a few more (just need to list) don't know quite why I procrastinate this so much as I do like the clinking noise of my phone when they sell :D just one left that has paid to wrap, rest done, DH will post tomorrow. Have used recycled packaging where possible. Money will go straight to cc. Have already made a pad today which has taken the smaller card past a key milestone :p

Impromptu picnic today out with stuff in fridge, smalls loved it. Roast for tea with left over pork from a previous roast. Proper cheap food day ;) plus made aubergine an lentil curry (from a dubious looking aubergine) and chorizo and red lentil soup whilst getting roast ready. Also took something back to shop in nearby town, refund to cc as it was paid for last month and I didn't budget for it this month as I forgot :o we used a voucher for free tea and cake. DH had cake I had tea :A took drink for smalls.

Want to make some headway this week on the house, so need to get paperwork together for mortgage and call a builder. Have also been planning colours for lounge which is ongoing. Happy days.
  • Ooh how exciting :D Sounds very similar to ours, we have a 3 bed semi too, but with a relatively wide (compared to most round here) plot. Were planning on a 2 storey side extension, through room (for a new lounge diner) plus utility and loo downstairs and then bedroom and ensuite. upstairs. We've had first stage plans drawn up just need to do the next step. Can't work out what is best - builder for 'rough' quote and then get their guidance on proper plans for submission to council or call an architect. I'm thinking builder first. What did you do HelleBelle?

Very similar!!
    We were recommended a guy who will do it all for us. He quoted us one figure (which we negotiated) and includes planning, building regs and the build. If the plans don't go through then we only pay for the drawings etc. Like you, we didn't know where to start! Whereabouts in the country are you? Happy to recommend the guy - so far all is good but we're not that far in yet...
    New total: £24,006 :(
    I will do this.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Forumite
    HelleBelle wrote: »
    Very similar!!
    We were recommended a guy who will do it all for us. He quoted us one figure (which we negotiated) and includes planning, building regs and the build. If the plans don't go through then we only pay for the drawings etc. Like you, we didn't know where to start! Whereabouts in the country are you? Happy to recommend the guy - so far all is good but we're not that far in yet...

Hey HelleBelle I'll PM you my location and if it works, I'd happily take the recommendation. Thanks. So what have I been doing, I've made £50 on fleabay - paid straight to CC. That's half of my target for the month. I was also gifted £100 in gift vouchers for a restaurant chain yesterday for something I did at work :D I have also sold some products for my own business, I just need to message customer to tell her how much it is, I'll see her tomorrow so she'll pay me then. The profit will go on cc.

I've put some more stuff to one side to be sold, just need to decide on method. I've also been looking at what we've achieved in the nearby 2 years we've been in our home and it's lots :T there is still lots to do, but considering what we started with and the challenges we have had on the way, I'm really pleased.

DH put some blinds up in our bedroom yesterday and they are fab :D they block out light and look smart and were a decent price considering they are made to measure. Will use the company again for other Windows as and when we need them. I ordered some more samples last night for lounge and dining room for when we have finished painting.

Will go for a run today, it's good for the soul.
    Right off to do breakfast and get the smalls ready.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Forumite
    So I didn't manage the run :o hope my motivation turns up in the post tomorrow :rotfl: I did however get motivated when DH started clearing out the garage. Put 2 random lampshades up in the lounge just so we have something for now. Will sell when we eventually get new ones. I also listed our buggy, 2 lamps and changing mat on local FB site. Plus a couple more things for fleabay, will list at weekend, I find you get marginally better price if they end on a Sunday evening.

Found both our P60s where I thought they were :T just need to print off tax returns and then I can upload for mortgage company.

Continued mission to use up/liberate products without buying more. Even cat involved, found some treat/crunchy type things that I've put in use up box and have been putting them on top of his food. Turned his nose up this morning, didn't second time round when no additional food was added :D my contribution was liberating the last slice of lemon panettone that was really two big for one slice bit not big enough for two :o

Continuing to mull over colours for front room, think I will take down the ones that are a definite no and then narrow it down that way. I have ordered some material samples for the curtains and pvc table covering.

I also got locked out this morning and put the time to good use by sorting the outside freezer, moved some stuff to inside freezer to use in short term and rationalised how many drawers we are using. Need to be in a place we can not use chest freezer whilst doing the extension as will have to store in shed. Need to start thinking about how that will work. Washed freezer drawer that was empty out.
  • PurpleFairy26
    Forumite
    Evening diary, I typed a long post yesterday and then I couldn't load the forum so lost it all. Oh well, it was just my ramblings :rotfl:

House progress:
    Picked colour for lounge :T
    Blinds and curtain samples arrives :T
    Need to cost up 2 additional blinds for upstairs bedrooms that we weren't planning to do yet but our bedroom ones are so fab are going to try and do them sooner rather than later
    Got all docs except tax returns on right place for remortgage call, will e mail tax returns this weekend.
    Need to change boiler cover, last of this times 'review' to reduce annual/monthly cost - on Aprils to do list

Other money saving things:
    Found out when DH can upgrade phone, he won't upgrade but will call on the date for a good sim only deal. Hopefully after that we will pay less than we were paying for my last sim only deal for both phones
    Contemplating moving last cc to a 0% balance transfer I have on another acc, but can't work out if that will look better or worse for mortgage app :o might just wait as its only 2 weeks away
    Have loads of food in freezer, which Is jam packed - I need to do an inventory so I can do a proper meal plan for the next couple of weeks. Only need to buy fresh fruit and veg and a few tinned bits until end of month.
    Had left over chilli from tonight boxed up in fridge for tomorrow or will go in freezer if need be
    Bought lots of really cheap fruit in market on Thursday

Off to research lampshades and materials for curtains :D
  • PurpleFairy26
    Forumite
    Evening frugal friends :hello:

Busy weekend seeing friends who are over visiting and generally having a great time. Minimised spends considering, much changed from how we would have been before. Also ordered some presents on line again to minimise cost and not be tempted. Need to move some money from various accounts to pay ourselves back tonight and also update my spreadsheet.

DH managed to strip somemore paint in lounge so only one more plinth and half a door frame and then we're ready to paint, paint paint:D

Realised today one new (ish) item of furniture was damaged by me last week and I didn't notice at the time :mad: I'm really annoyed with myself but nothing I can do so I must move on.

Need to check latest utility bill and see where that takes us. Want to do a cc pad tonight too.

Am going to do some work now before bed so that I can hopefully have an easier day tomorrow.

PF
  • PurpleFairy26
    Forumite
    Evening diary :hello:

I've spent a lovely day with my DH and DD2 whilst we got reasy for some friends coming round tonight. It really was a one off, wouldn't normally happen on a Wednesday :p We bought some food and did a BBQ in the sunshine :D Friends bought booze. Lots left over, but it'll all get used. Only a few bits of cooked food left - DH and I will have for lunch tomorrow. Booze stashed in garage. Also used some soft drinks that were left over from Christmas that I wouldn't drink so all good there too :) On top of all this an amazing night with some amazing friends, heaven only knows the next time we will all be together :(

I have spent an hour after they left doing trial number 2 of ynab. After not getting my head round it first time and reverting to my spreadsheet, I decided to give it another go. I think I may have cracked it :o we'll see. Am very impressed so far (despite the small figure it's telling me I have until next Friday ;))

Yesterday I phoned 2 builders to come out and talk to use about finalising the extension. Ok, so neither has called me back today :(, will give them until Monday and then call again. I need to progress this to the next level. I have also gathered 2 of the tax returns I need for next weeks mortgage appointment e-mailed to myself, so I can access on one computer. Just 1 more to find I think. Will double check tomorrow when working from home and if I have them all, load on to remote secure site as requested.

On other notes, we have more food and booze to last several weeks, we plan to do a picnic at the weekend, so that will be cheap. No further spends anticipated until after payday :T

Going to cash out some p1necone money to do a PAD I think. Think I will do a virtual MC as I can spend that and use the money for the PAD. Ok mind working overtime, am off to bed and try and switch off. Night all. PF
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback