PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• TheBees
    TheBees Posts: 601 Forumite
    Had a really busy day rushing all over the place. But somehow during my mad day of dashing around, I managed to make a couple batches of fairy cakes, went to the butcher and got a leg of lamb for tomorrow and made the base of the trifle. Also cleaned my DS17's stinky trainers and football boots, a couple loads of washing, took DS out for an hour's driving practice, cleaned the kitchen and have taken and fetched him from his part time job twice today!

The monthly budget is £380 and we now have £235 left. :eek: I will have to do an internet shop for Thursday delivery due to next week having loads of things happening and simply no time to get to a supermarket even if I wanted to (which I don't because I'm doing it all online this month!) There's lots of food in the freezer but may need to adjust the menu plan to allow for various activities going on and everyone getting home late on differerent days of the week!

Yesterday's Daily Mail was full of doom and gloom about the price of food and fuel going through the roof due to the forthcoming oil crisis. It's a bit scary but at least all of us on here are one step ahead of everyone else by trying to watch what we spend on food.

Good luck everyone
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • Sunflower1227
    Sunflower1227 Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Hi everyone :wave:

:grouphug: to everyone that needs one

Going away for a few nights, money from holiday budget, so have updated signature to reflect them as nsd from grocery budget.

When I get back I will clean out the freezer as I have run it down over the last few weeks. Due a little bonus in this months pay so I have decided to re stock the freezer with good quality meat from local butcher.

Anyhow must go and pack as we are leaving at 7 in the morning.

Keep up the good work everyone :T
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • esmer
    esmer Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    40.89 for me.............. Only 89p over. I have got all my stuff to make my Hidden Veg Tomato sauce with mascarpone....... Turkey meatballs with apple....... and Chicken Curry, which reminds me need to take my chicken out of the freezer.
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
  • martafdz
    martafdz Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    I keep reading abiut slow cookers and I was wondering how many different kind of dishes can you do there. Can you do anything else other than stews? Without knowing anything about SC I kind of wonder if there is any other use other than braised beef, meatballs, bolognese, mince meat fillings.. I use my oven a lot, 80% of the time, I love roasted/grilled stuff. I would like to know what the slow cooker could bring to my home if I were to buy one. I know my next purchase should be a chest freezer, but then maybe either a Breadmaker or a Slow Cooker. I need to think what I would use the most :think:
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • esmer
    esmer Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    There are a lot of slow cooker cook books. Maybe have a look at one of those and get LOTS of ideas. I used to use mine a lot, but now im on my own with my DD I have not used it. I made Roastbeef, BBQ Chicken, bolognese, mince, Currys........... always found meet so tender and tasty. I want to get a smaller Slow Cooker, you might have spurned me on :) Thanks
    Saving 2.00 coins
    Grocerys set to 40.00 pw
    Being Thrifty
  • katenut
    katenut Posts: 530 Forumite
    We cook at least half our meals in the SC, there are hundreds of recipes out there! My favourite is a whole chicken, it just falls off the bone and it is so moist and tender, I'd never roast one again! There is only two of us but we normally make a whole pot of curry/chilli/stew etc and we just freeze the leftovers for another day. Cheap cuts of meat are good in the SC as well, I love a nice lamb tagine in the SC. Try googling some recipes :)
    Trying to jump back onto the moneysaving wagon .... :cool:
  • Day five - another no spender! That's five in a row - milk running low, but I have a some tassimo discs, and fruit teas available. No panic yet. I can always get my coffee fix at work - tea club is bought and paid for already!!

Soup tonight. Oh, and my 3 year old son has chicken pox - nice!
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
    Outstanding Mortgage (1&2): £75023/£76400 Target MF date: Jun 2019 (49 payments)
    Target OP (2015): £1500
    Outstanding Mortgage 3: £77000
    [STRIKE] Outstanding Loan: £1161 [/STRIKE] What Loan!
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    This is totally off topic - other than being food related - so please forgive me.
    But on searching for new recipes as I do most evenings, I've stumbled upon this.
    21485_.jpg?Wise-owl-birthday-cake-recipe
    How cute is this cake for a little girls birthday? ......that said, a BIG girls birthday too....I wouldn't refuse it ;)

Well done on your NSDs Roger :T bit of a bummer about your little boy though :( poor little chap.
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • Great cake - looks fairly easy. I love the Elvis hairdo!
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
    Outstanding Mortgage (1&2): £75023/£76400 Target MF date: Jun 2019 (49 payments)
    Target OP (2015): £1500
    Outstanding Mortgage 3: £77000
    [STRIKE] Outstanding Loan: £1161 [/STRIKE] What Loan!
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    martafdz wrote: »
    I keep reading abiut slow cookers and I was wondering how many different kind of dishes can you do there. Can you do anything else other than stews? Without knowing anything about SC I kind of wonder if there is any other use other than braised beef, meatballs, bolognese, mince meat fillings.. I use my oven a lot, 80% of the time, I love roasted/grilled stuff. I would like to know what the slow cooker could bring to my home if I were to buy one. I know my next purchase should be a chest freezer, but then maybe either a Breadmaker or a Slow Cooker. I need to think what I would use the most :think:

Hi Martafdz,

i have two slow cookers and i wouldn`t be without them, i have the MR 6.5 litre and also the tesco value 3.5l (which was only £10) Here is a thread where peeps post some recipes and what they have in their sc at the moment - very good read http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2197233

Also there is a sc recipe thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4273&highlight=slow+cooker+recipes

I love my slowcookers and i wouldn`t be without either of them - especially good in summer when you really don`t want the heat from the oven.

RE bread makers, i used to have an old breadmaker which never turned out an acceptable loaf, when i joined this site i learned about the Panasonic breadmakers. I saved and got the Panasonic SD254 and i`ve never looked back or bought bread since. This model is no longer available but the closest that i could find is this one which is on offer atm http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SD-256WXC-Automatic-Breadmaker-program/dp/B003DNRTEG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299374644&sr=8-2 I can highly recomend the pannys although a bit pricey they will give years of service.

HTH

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills