F1 Silverstone parking

Options
SultanPepper
SultanPepper Posts: 16 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 10 July 2019 at 11:56AM in Consumer rights
Dear MS Experts,

Yesterday (9th July) I bought F1 weekend parking tickets at nearby golf, spa and hotel complex that offers weekend parking at a mere £50. The F1 is Friday to Sunday (12th to 14th of July) Having bought the parking, I called a friend I am going with and he also informed me he had arranged for parking. Doh! if only we spoke to each other beforehand... anyway...

I recalled that in purchasing the weekend parking there were no terms and conditions or notes about cancellation when clicking through. When you get the confirmation after purchase it states tickets are non-refundable. The long and short of it, I called up today (less than 24 hours after purchase) to ask them for a refund and point out to them that there are no T&C and no details about cancellations until after the purchase is complete. They maintained that the parking is non-refundable and would not budge.

I have double checked and indeed there are no T&C or notes about cancelling throughout the booking process. I have taken screenshots and sent them an email pointing this out and maintaining the purchaser ought to be informed before purchase not after purchase.

Should I have known better? is this exempt from Consumer Rights Act 2015? Does this have legs if i keep at it? I am happy to name and shame if they continue to insist on no refund.

I do feel pretty silly not checking before booking but this is £50 at the end of the day. Not cheap for parking.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any chance your mate has better terms and conditions to allow a refund of their payment.
  • SultanPepper
    Options
    Unfortunately not. His terms and conditions were very clear in regard to the refundable amount in relation to the closeness of the event. He would forfeit 100% less than 7 days before the event.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suspect it's in the exemptions.

Can you flog it to someone else?
  • SultanPepper
    Options
    Probably with much difficulty. I gave the car registration at booking. They may well decide there is a no transfer policy in addition to the no cancellation policy i wasn't warned about at the time of purchase.

If it is in the exemptions does anyone get anywhere using other methods? I have tried being polite, I have tried being forceful when polite didn't work, next i was thinking shame them and their lack of T&Cs.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Unless allowed for in the T&Cs, there are no legal cancellation rights for a service to be provided on a fixed date or period - even if the contract was made online/at a distance. (Check the CCR 2013). So the fact they didn't mention cancellation during the booking process is irrelevant.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm guessing you booked at Whittlebury Park, the parking is £50 per person for the weekend so for two people the cost would have been £100 in any case
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Probably with much difficulty. I gave the car registration at booking. They may well decide there is a no transfer policy in addition to the no cancellation policy i wasn't warned about at the time of purchase.

If it is in the exemptions does anyone get anywhere using other methods? I have tried being polite, I have tried being forceful when polite didn't work, next i was thinking shame them and their lack of T&Cs.

Your only option is to admit you made an error and move on, the only way to get anything back from them would have been through a good will gesture and that wasn't forthcoming, so draw the episode to a close.

It is not a legal requirement to have T&Cs, so that will lead nowhere also.

If you gave your car registration then it's massively unlikely that they are transferrable.

Also, since this appears to be an unrelated 3rd party booking then I wouldn't assume that if the event is cancelled you'll get a refund either.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BRDC just signed a new F1 deal to 2024 for British Grand Prix at Silverstone .
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Unless allowed for in the T&Cs, there are no legal cancellation rights for a service to be provided on a fixed date or period - even if the contract was made online/at a distance. (Check the CCR 2013). So the fact they didn't mention cancellation during the booking process is irrelevant.

Nearly. The exemption is only for:
    (h)the supply of accommodation, transport of goods, vehicle rental services, catering or services related to leisure activities, if the contract provides for a specific date or period of performance.

And theyre only exempt from the right to cancel. The provider still needs to provide the necessary information (including that the consumer won't benefit from a right to cancel) before the consumer is bound by the contract.

Whether car parking would be a service related to leisure activities I'm unsure as imo there are arguments for and against. Thats also assuming the contract specifically provided for a weekend of parking starting x date rather than (for example) booking a weekend of parking then later booking in for a specific date.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • SultanPepper
    Options
    Good news. They have agreed to refund the fee after looking into my request.

I sent them screenshots of every page of the booking process showing that there were no terms or warnings anywhere until the booking confirmation email.

Whilst I cannot argue the legality of the process, I felt there was a moral obligation. I am glad they agreed and my faith in them restored.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure