Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Nicnak wrote: »
    I got the chocolate oranges too! They are great for little wraps ups, or forgotten presents!

Yes really good value too, so at least I've got something for Christmas now!
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • I enjoyed my volunteering, in fact I was really looking forward to going. We did subtraction and writing a fact sheet (well the children did and I helped :)).

After I walked home the afternoon seemed to stretch emptily ahead though, so I was wishing I could stay all day :o.

Anyway I managed to find things to do. I dusted all the family photos on the landing wall, which were covered in dust and one even had a cobweb stretched across it, cheeky spider :eek:. Then I emptied some bins and put the dishwasher on.

I managed to stay cheerful, or at least not depressed, by dint of much positive thinking. I'm off to my volunteering again tomorrow morning and looking forward to it :T, although I think we'll have wet playtime judging by the weather report.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,126 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Glad that you are enjoying your volunteering.
    I enjoy mine too.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Volunteering with children will take your mind to a good place :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Glad that you are enjoying your volunteering.
    I enjoy mine too.

Thanks Beanie :)
    Volunteering with children will take your mind to a good place :)

It does :)
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,232 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Firstly, where are the chocolate oranges only 75p?

Secondly, does this include white chocolate ones?

Thirdly, and most importantly, so pleased you're enjoying your volunteering. My mum used to do remedial reading at secondary schools and loved it.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Firstly, where are the chocolate oranges only 75p?

Secondly, does this include white chocolate ones?

Thirdly, and most importantly, so pleased you're enjoying your volunteering. My mum used to do remedial reading at secondary schools and loved it.

Chocolate oranges are from Mr T but I only saw dark chocolate :).

Thanks. Working with children is definitely healing, although I'd be scared of secondary school children, I volunteer with infants :)
  • Good morning. I'm off to my volunteering again soon :).
    It's pitch black outside, raining and blowing a gale :eek: so I'm glad I work indoors!

I'm going for a meal tonight with some old friends so I'll need my raincoat (we go out around every three months). It's a restaurant I've never been to but it's very popular here. The spends should be lowish as I won't have a starter or a dessert and I'm off alcohol at the moment. Usually my share of the wine bill adds a lot to my cost. Plus I won't wake up with a headache, so win win :T.

Have a good day everyone.
  • Sounds like you have a lovely day lined up:j. I hope you enjoy every minute :beer:
  • Dorastar
    Dorastar Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds lovely and just what you need, especially with this dismal weather we've got today!
    Mortgage £128,626 going down slowly
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure