MSE News: Billions of pounds in benefits unclaimed by pensioners

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Despite 1.8 million elderly people living in poverty, many are failing to take up cash they're entitled to ..."

Comments

• bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Im not at all surprised pensioners don't claim benefits. It took my parents 10 months of hassle with the council to get council tax benefit when my mum had to stop working and dad was part time. They treated them like criminals and they still have to resubmit paperwork every time either mums pension or dads wages change by £2!

Only people BENEFIT from the benefit system are those who have never worked a day in their lives and know how to play the system. My limited personal experience with the system tells me if you help yourself, noone else is interested in helping you, if you lie there like a dying swan telling all and sundry you can't cope, they will fall over themselves to give you a house, money etc. What a joke!
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    The system needs to be simplified, the Government knows what people are getting, so why should they have to apply for pension credit, if they are entitled to it it should just be paid, surely it could be a tick box on a form, do you have money other than your pension. If so, how much. If no, then we will pay you x amount.
    Unless it's changed in the last few years it was like a book to complete, not everyine understands the form or has someone to help them with it.
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    hermum wrote: »
    The system needs to be simplified, the Government knows what people are getting, so why should they have to apply for pension credit, if they are entitled to it it should just be paid, surely it could be a tick box on a form, do you have money other than your pension. If so, how much. If no, then we will pay you x amount.
    Unless it's changed in the last few years it was like a book to complete, not everyine understands the form or has someone to help them with it.

Far better to raise the basic state pension to the level of pension credit.
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2010 at 6:42PM
    Like many other pensioners we have paid into and receive occupational pensions. However all we have achieved is to effectively rule ourselves out of any means tested benefits.

I have friends who are actually better off than us once you add in all the stuff they don't have to pay because they get pension credit. Basic pension definitely needs to increase.
  • Gillyo_2
    Gillyo_2 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Im not at all surprised pensioners don't claim benefits. It took my parents 10 months of hassle with the council to get council tax benefit when my mum had to stop working and dad was part time. They treated them like criminals and they still have to resubmit paperwork every time either mums pension or dads wages change by £2!

Only people BENEFIT from the benefit system are those who have never worked a day in their lives and know how to play the system. My limited personal experience with the system tells me if you help yourself, noone else is interested in helping you, if you lie there like a dying swan telling all and sundry you can't cope, they will fall over themselves to give you a house, money etc. What a joke!

This is so true, the more honest you are, the more you are beaten down. It's a disgrace!
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    krisskross wrote: »
    Like many other pensioners we have paid into and receive occupational pensions. However all we have achieved is to effectively rule ourselves out of any means tested benefits.

I have friends who are actually better off than us once you add in all the stuff they don't have to pay because they get pension credit. Basic pension definitely needs to increase.

I agree with you 100 percent. I am in the same position as you - if I was on Pension Credit I could claim for my new glasses and dental work. But alas not as I am outside the range as I have an occupational pension.

The basic retirement pension should be enough to live on. Any add-ons like free this or free that or pension credit are a complete disincentive to save for one's old age.
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I don't blame people not claiming Pension Credit!!

A near neighbour has been waiting over 4 months for a claim to be processed!!

Trying to get a honest answer out of them is dreadful!!! They never return phonecalls or send follow-up letters!!

Most of the older generation are proud and would see this jumping through hoops as begging and demeaning!!!
  • I_luv_cats wrote: »
    I don't blame people not claiming Pension Credit!!

A near neighbour has been waiting over 4 months for a claim to be processed!!

Trying to get a honest answer out of them is dreadful!!! They never return phonecalls or send follow-up letters!!

Most of the older generation are proud and would see this jumping through hoops as begging and demeaning!!!

We waited for about 4 months for it all to be sorted, and then they only sorted it out because I threatened to go to my local MP lol, I had made a list of all the names of the people I spoke to, and all the dates, and what I was told..... as soon as I said MP, we had a call the same afteroon, and money was paid into OH's account within 3 days..
    Tell your neighbour to persevere, It will eventually be paid and backdated :)
    "I live my dream today, I lived it yesterday and I'll be living yours tomorrow":smileyhea

If you don't want to work, you have to work to earn enough money so that you won't have to work ;)
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We waited for about 4 months for it all to be sorted, and then they only sorted it out because I threatened to go to my local MP lol, I had made a list of all the names of the people I spoke to, and all the dates, and what I was told..... as soon as I said MP, we had a call the same afteroon, and money was paid into OH's account within 3 days..
    Tell your neighbour to persevere, It will eventually be paid and backdated :)

He had a letter today saying he is now getting paid and arrears are in his account. But it leaves a nasty taste in his mouth with all the fobbing off!!

How can these people just keep fobbing off people, a waste of their and the claimants time!! Also it creates great anxiety for claimants!!!
  • It beggars belief that we are told that the benefits forum isnt for discussing benefits time and time again,its for questions about benefits,(and rightly so)then "mse" put up another discussion thread that will only turn into a rant by the usual suspects !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure