Oled tv screen burn

Options
Anyone else having problems with "screen burn" on their television? We purchased our LG 55" tv in May 2017. Brilliant colours and more than happy until 2 months ago when we noticed ghost like static images on the screen. These have become more and more visible, rendering the tv virtually unwatchable. PC World told us to contact Logik whose response was that we had left the tv on pause for excessive periods of time (totally not the case). Displaying a magenta screen on the tv (via you tube) highlighted the main problem - the scrolling bar along the bottom of the screen, as used by several news channels, as well as the "BREAKING NEWS" logo are clearly visible together with a large circular screen burn to the centre of the picture (assumed to be because of fairly static faces). Logik say that screen burn is not covered by warranty as it can only be caused by leaving on pause for excessive periods of time. On investigation on the internet and you tube in particular we find that we are not alone. Many others have the same experience.
We are taking further steps (for example, we were not advised that oled is apparently unsuitable for channels with scrolling screens and/or fixed logos) and will advise regarding progress.
Anyone else having (or have had) the same problem and has it been resolved?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is quite common for Oled apparently and it wasn't uncommon for Plasma TVs as well.

If if is burn in, it's typically not covered by any warranty as it's user error leaving a static image on the screen for extended periods of time.

Details here:
    https://www.cnet.com/news/oled-screen-burn-in-what-you-need-to-know/
  • Thomas_Basil_Reid
    Options
    Thank you for your input, but the website to which you refer actually recommends that you DO NOT buy an oled tv if you watch news channels with scrolling bars and/or fixed logos as they WILL CAUSE screen burn.
    The official line that oled tv screen burn can only be caused by pausing for extreme lengths of time is not true.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In all honesty if PC World actually asked you whether you sit there all day watching news channels (which are not designed primarily for that purpose but anyway) you could have told them it was none of their business what you want to watch on the TV. To be honest I'm not convinced you're going to be able to prove anything about what you were told, and you'll probably find if you look in the manual it talks about this issue. With all due respect if you didn't read the warnings in the manual about the issue or chose to ignore them then that's your problem.
  • Thomas_Basil_Reid
    Options
    To be honest I think you are making too many assumptions. You assume I watch news channels all day (incorrect, I do have a life) and you assume there is a warning in the manual not to watch news channels/channels with fixed logos. I will check, but a) the manual comes with the television, not beforehand and b) I doubt very much whether any manual or advertising promotion says "do not buy or use this television if you watch news channels or programmes with fixed logos".
    I am looking for constructive comments from people who actually own or have owned an oled television.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anyone else having problems with "screen burn" on their television? We purchased our LG 55" tv in May 2017. Brilliant colours and more than happy until 2 months ago when we noticed ghost like static images on the screen. These have become more and more visible, rendering the tv virtually unwatchable. PC World told us to contact Logik whose response was that we had left the tv on pause for excessive periods of time (totally not the case). Displaying a magenta screen on the tv (via you tube) highlighted the main problem - the scrolling bar along the bottom of the screen, as used by several news channels, as well as the "BREAKING NEWS" logo are clearly visible together with a large circular screen burn to the centre of the picture (assumed to be because of fairly static faces). Logik say that screen burn is not covered by warranty as it can only be caused by leaving on pause for excessive periods of time. On investigation on the internet and you tube in particular we find that we are not alone. Many others have the same experience.
    We are taking further steps (for example, we were not advised that oled is apparently unsuitable for channels with scrolling screens and/or fixed logos) and will advise regarding progress.
    Anyone else having (or have had) the same problem and has it been resolved?

I have an LG OLED TV and i don't have this issue; with the default settings on the TV it goes to a screensaver quite quickly if the content is paused.

How many hours of news programs do you watch a day on it, it must be a lot to cause what you describe?
  • Thomas_Basil_Reid
    Thomas_Basil_Reid Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 October 2018 at 1:55PM
    Options
    Hi. I guess I watch approximately 2 hours of sky news/bbc news a day but on my old sony bravia tv there was never a problem. I watch via a bt box so screensaver doesn't come into effect on that (or I should say wouldn't come into effect because I don't leave the television on pause). On the recommendation of "Which" magazine I have written a letter to PC World asking for a refund under theConsumer Rights Act of 2015, based on omission of important information (i.e. I was not advised that oled tv is not suitable for viewing channels with scrolling screens and/or fixed logos).
    Don't hold much hope but it's the first step in a long battle.
  • DLG7
    DLG7 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 26 October 2018 at 5:14PM
    Options
    Hello Thomas. We bought a 55" LG OLED TV from Richer Sounds in March 2017 and are experiencing virtually the same problem as you. Parallel bars across the bottom of the screen, a heavier mark on the bottom left which reveals the words 'Breaking News' on certain backgrounds and a blue/green colour bleed in the middle of he screen. The TV is never on pause for more than the time it takes to make a cup of tea and no excessive watching of any one channel (although the User Guide contains no advice at all on these points or any information on screen burn at all). We had never heard of screen burn before but, when we were looking to buy an OLED TV we were advised not to worry about expensive problems in the future as everything would be covered by their extensive 6 year guarantee. There is something ironic about a guarantee for a TV which does not cover picture problems. We were never even actually sent a hardcopy of the guarantee. The tactic used by LG/Retailers seems to be to just blame the customer for misuse of the set rather than admit that there might be an inherent problem with a number of their OLED panels. We are also in the early stages of trying to get LG/Richer Sounds to justify their stance on this issue or, at least, to forewarn future customers of potential problems with these very expensive TVs.
  • Thomas_Basil_Reid
    Options
    Hi DLG7. So good to hear from a kindred spirit. I'm sure there are hundreds of us out there all fighting our individual battles with LG/Retailers and each of us is being fobbed off with the same story "it's your own fault for leaving the screen on pause for extended periods". We know it's a lie and I'm pretty sure they know that's the case also, so the more information we can give each other the better chance of a positive outcome. As previously stated I am awaiting a written reply from PC World. If no success "Which" magazine recommend claiming from my credit card company (they are jointly liable) on the same grounds. I would recommend the "Which" website. They have an excellent template letter. If still no success I plan to contact as many TV consumer programmes as possible, also national newspapers. I would dearly like to do this before Christmas so Oled buyers are aware of the potential problems.
    Please keep in touch with any progress you make. I will do likewise.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    (for example, we were not advised that oled is apparently unsuitable for channels with scrolling screens and/or fixed logos)

If you read every page of your manual (I know, nobody does!) you'll find it in there. You're right though, tickers, logos are static-ish whether paused or not.
    Samsung say their QLED doesn't suffer from screen burn, for your next purchase!
    but the website to which you refer actually recommends that you DO NOT buy an oled tv if you watch news channels with scrolling bars and/or fixed logos as they WILL CAUSE screen burn.

Good advice!
    The official line that oled tv screen burn can only be caused by pausing for extreme lengths of time is not true.

YOU are being held responsible for watching the news too much. Whether you paused it or not doesn't really matter.
    but a) the manual comes with the television, not beforehand

Probably available on the website beforehand, and you can take it back if it's not suitable. You're still expected to read it.
    I am looking for constructive comments from people who actually own or have owned an oled television.

It's a new technology, but the problem is known, as you've learnt. CRT (tube), plasma can also suffer from it, so it's not a new problem.
    On the recommendation of "Which" magazine I have written a letter to PC World asking for a refund under theConsumer Rights Act of 2015, based on omission of important information (i.e. I was not advised that oled tv is not suitable for viewing channels with scrolling screens and/or fixed logos).
    Don't hold much hope but it's the first step in a long battle.

Sounds good. I'm interested in how this goes.
  • Thomas_Basil_Reid
    Options
    Thank you almillar for your comments. Just checked the multitude of leaflets, guarantees and manuals that came with the television. Nowhere can I find any warning of the danger of screen burn by watching channels with scrolling screens and/or fixed logos. In fact no mention is made at all regarding screen burn (which leads me to wonder when did they decide screen burn was not covered by guarantee - perhaps when they began receiving too many complaints?). May I ask whereabouts in your oled manual you found this warning?
    Thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure