Discounts for over 50s/60s

Hi all

I have had a quick look to see if this has been posted before but cannot find it. Apologies if it has.

I went into my local Boots today and picked up a Healthclub and more leaflet, which when you register is giving up to £100 in money off vouchers to everyone, but if you are over 60 you can get a 10% discount on Boots brand products.

Sorry dont know how to post links but you can register online at
https://www.boots.com/checkitout
Sealed pot challenge 543

Comments

• jmf
    jmf Posts: 148 Forumite
    Thank you very much, have applied.
  • Norman-B
    Norman-B Posts: 1,638
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks to OP
  • Iowa_Lot
    Iowa_Lot Posts: 68 Forumite
    what proof do they need of your age?
  • karin
    karin Posts: 188 Forumite
    Iowa_Lot wrote:
    what proof do they need of your age?

When I applied I just put in my d.o.b.

They ask if you already have a boots advantage card and if you do they want the number.
    I think they then adjust the card to include your 10% discount.
    If you don't have a card you have to join up to take up the offer.
    Karin
  • sashacat
    sashacat Posts: 821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks, I've just applied for mine
    Wombling £457.41
  • Great - so pleased to hear it is linked to one's card.
  • patacake58
    patacake58 Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    hi all,
    being a money saver i have started looking for stores that offer a discount for pensioners to help my parents. so far ive found that b&q and rosebys offer 10% off for pensioners on wednesdays. does anyone know of any other discounts offered by stores?
    also found this over 60s bank account which seems like a good deal
    http://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/savings/sixtyplus.aspx?CBSRef=096150
    thanks in advance, pat
    Your greatness is measured by your kindness; your education and intellect by your modesty; your ignorance is betrayed by your suspicions and prejudices, and your real caliber is measured by the consideration and tolerance you have for others.

William J.H. Boetcker (1873-1962)
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Hi Pat

I've had a look at the Coventry BS's site. It has drawbacks. For example, what if you need a current account as well as a savings account? You have to pay in £1000 per month into the current account. I can't do that. 'You have access to it (the saver account) with a Cashlink card'. They don't say how you go about transferring any of it to your current account. I don't use much cash at all nowadays - most of my banking is done online.

The Coventry BS over-60s saver account says: 'you can deposit up to £2000 a month'. Big deal! How many people can do that?

I've recently switched from Cahoot to Smile and I have a current account (into which pensions income is paid), a savings account and a cash ISA with them.

I think Homebase may have a similar 'discount day' - don't know for sure, haven't looked.

Personally I don't like the idea of being told which day I can get discounts for being a pensioner - if I need something then I need it. But that's just me.

Best wishes

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • patacake58
    patacake58 Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    yes, youre right about the bank account margaretclare, didint realise you had to deposit amounts of that size!!!
    must admit i just glanced at the interest rates and thought they were good (they would have to be with that amount of money going in!!!!):eek:
    Your greatness is measured by your kindness; your education and intellect by your modesty; your ignorance is betrayed by your suspicions and prejudices, and your real caliber is measured by the consideration and tolerance you have for others.

William J.H. Boetcker (1873-1962)
  • Fenella
    Fenella Posts: 664 Forumite
    If they join the Boots Health Club (leaflets in store) and register their advantage card they can get 10% of all Boots products. This includes things like cotton wool, soap, parecetomol tablets and Boots own vitamins as well as cosmetics.
    No special day either.

Also some garden centres and dry cleaners offer 10% off to pensioners.
    Cinemas too have special rates.
    Born to shop;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family