Travelling On

Comments

• :hello:
    CRx
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,881 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    That doesn't sound good about your phone - hope you can get it sorted!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Karmacat wrote: »
    Thanks for that, SL - I remember some aggro about it now, but not the details. These are packaged under the label of Infinity Foods, the famous food co-op in Brighton https://www.infinityfoodswholesale.coop/about_us/ and the product https://www.infinityfoodswholesale.coop/all_products/beans_peas_and_pulses/infinity_prepacked_organic_beans_peas_and_pulses/soya_beans/ I downloaded the pdf info sheet too, as I got curious.

The only thing I could find was this: "The product meets EU Organic Standards 834/2007 and 889/2008 and meets the Soil Association Organic Standards. General Requirements Pesticide Residue levels shall not exceed the limits set for EU Organic Products."

That link you provided is interesting! I can't "translate" the whole of it :o but I can see the phrase "herbicide tolerant crop", which to my lay person's ears means that it's been dosed with a big wallop of glyphosate etc and bred so that it doesn't kill the plant, just the pests. Is that right? Hmmm.

So Infinity aren't lying when they say the beans are organically certified, but that certification allows for a glyphosate residue, and glyphosate is *heavily* implicated in causing cancer, is that right? Hmmm. How disappointing :( but how important to know.

That was almost my reading of it - I think the organic accreditation is based on so long with no chemicals added to the soil, whereas these herbicide tolerant qualities have been added to the seeds - but I read "herbicide tolerant crop" as one where you could spray with Round-up (glyphosate) and it would not kill them - which would exclude these (being organic, they won't have been sprayed). The original Monsanto GM was known as RR Soy - RR stands for Round-up Ready. I have not found out how Monsanto modified them exactly but it has put me off to be honest. I have eaten them in a salad someone else prepared, but I would not buy them, if you see what I mean. I wonder if anyone at the food coop knows more. I cannot imagine them jeopardising their carefully built reputation for Soya beans.

We still use glyphosate in a topical application, on tree stumps or weeds while wearing gloves and being very careful. If DH were to spray a path he would wear a mask and visor - and would definitely not use near a food crop.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    :hello:
    CRx
    Hello CR :hello:
    themadvix wrote: »
    That doesn't sound good about your phone - hope you can get it sorted!
    Yep, I'm not happy. It still hasn't turned on, and today I couldn't credit the latest £5 SB voucher to my Amazon account, another OTP I couldn't read! Bah :rotfl:
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    That was almost my reading of it - I think the organic accreditation is based on so long with no chemicals added to the soil, whereas these herbicide tolerant qualities have been added to the seeds - but I read "herbicide tolerant crop" as one where you could spray with Round-up (glyphosate) and it would not kill them - which would exclude these (being organic, they won't have been sprayed). The original Monsanto GM was known as RR Soy - RR stands for Round-up Ready. I have not found out how Monsanto modified them exactly but it has put me off to be honest. I have eaten them in a salad someone else prepared, but I would not buy them, if you see what I mean. I wonder if anyone at the food coop knows more. I cannot imagine them jeopardising their carefully built reputation for Soya beans.
    Thats a good idea. I'll put them by for now, and check with the co-op members after Christmas - they're not going to want to do deep research at this time of year. I do work hard at avoiding cancer-causing chemicals (including not dyeing my hair :( ) because there's so much cancer in my family.
    We still use glyphosate in a topical application, on tree stumps or weeds while wearing gloves and being very careful. If DH were to spray a path he would wear a mask and visor - and would definitely not use near a food crop.
    Okey dokey, thats good to know. It's not easy, is it ...
  • Karmacat
    edited 12 December 2019 at 12:01PM
    So, my big to-do list is currently inaccessible to me because of my phone :rotfl: I think all the information is still there, but as I say, inaccessible. I was very tired yesterday, wrote out another three :o:o:o Christmas cards, washing machine on, a few bits and bobs, not much, the OTP problem stopped me quite a bit :cool:.

Today?
    - vote!
    - dw on.
    - pop over to pick up my JL package of Christmas presents.
    - do more Christmas cards! Please! Even though I don't do many, I still need to do some! I'll focus on getting the phone sorted tomorrow, but I'll also need to pay the credit card at the bank this month.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    You are streets ahead of me on the cmas card front!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Karmacat
    Really? I've done six now :o all from the RNLI pack I bought in June (because I never put it away :o). Yesterday, though, I finally dug out the actual Christmas box and retrieved the necessaries for this year. There's hope. How many have you done, apple?

Also, I'm steeling myself to go out in this **horrible** weather, and have compromised by looking at the thread #catsatpollingstations on twitter :rotfl: It makes my life complete :rotfl:
  • Karmacat
    Voted, then collected my parcel from the temporary click and collect desk, which saved some time. Bought some frozen peas too, £1.25 per kilo. Coming home, I've rarely been so wet. Soaked, soggy, swimming, dripping, you name it, it was there :rotfl:

Over the last few days, I've also been backing up my computer (phone took too much headspace for me to mention the computer!). All done now, and it was an item on my big to-do list. I think thats 6/50 now, not really sure. But I've done nothing else on the Christmas cards :( they'll have to be the priority now. And posting the gifts that need to go out, drat! I don't want to go out tomorrow, but I better had.

Happy election night all. Remember that cats went to the polling stations too :) and even let their humans vote, sometimes :cool:
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Really? I've done six now :o all from the RNLI pack I bought in June (because I never put it away :o). Yesterday, though, I finally dug out the actual Christmas box and retrieved the necessaries for this year. There's hope. How many have you done, apple?

Umm... Let me see... At the last count it was zero... :rotfl:
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback