Builder not repaying deposit after job cancelled - how do we get it back ?

Hello

We recently needed a (relatively small) job doing - c£300.

The builder said he had been ripped off by a customer recently & wanted £100 for the materials.

Obviously we were reluctant to do this, but in the end paid it.

He never got round to doing the job (lots of excuses) so we agreed to cancel & he would return deposit.

Having chased for several weeks he has not refunded this money into my bank account.

Today I issued an ultimatum, with threat of legal action (without actually knowing whether this is possible or realistic).

Can anyone advise how we can get this money back ? Seems like verging on theft to me !

Thanks

Comments

• Dan-Dan
    Dan-Dan Posts: 5,272
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Do you have any written communications specifying the arrangement?
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • swayzak
    swayzak Posts: 108
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mobile phone text conversation
  • Dan-Dan
    Forumite
    You can take him to small claims but is it worth the cost for £100 because you have to enforce it if you win..
    Do you know where he lives because popping round for my money is what i would be doing
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
  • swayzak
    swayzak Posts: 108
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    No I don't. He has a web page, and a presence on FB (which is where I picked up the recommendation from).

Grrr..

May be have to put down to stupidity on my part. Job needed sorting ASAP but not really an excuse ...
  • bmthmark
    bmthmark Posts: 297
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would post a message on his facebook page, asking when the deposit will be paid back.
  • Dan-Dan wrote: »
    You can take him to small claims but is it worth the cost for £100 because you have to enforce it if you win..
    Do you know where he lives because popping round for my money is what i would be doing

Wheres he going to send the court papers?
    swayzak wrote: »
    No I don't. He has a web page, and a presence on FB (which is where I picked up the recommendation from).

Grrr..

May be have to put down to stupidity on my part. Job needed sorting ASAP but not really an excuse ...
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    swayzak wrote: »

Grrr..

As per the suggestion on Post #6, tell him you'll post a comment on his Facebook page - or, if it's a business page, you'll post a negative review explaining what happened. The latter carries more weight - a comment might end up way down the page if it's a busy page, whereas reviews are a permanent link on the left. He then has the opportunity to refund your money before you go ahead and post a negative review.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,346
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Report him to Trading Standards. He should have a contact address on his website.
  • Dan-Dan
    Forumite
    Wheres he going to send the court papers?

I asked this BEFORE op said he doesnt know where they live, but thanks anyway
  • Ben1989
    Ben1989 Posts: 470
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Also checkatrade and mybuilder. Two other sites he might be on to give you more leverage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure