Help through the transition period?

As the title asks, is there any help out there to help us through a transition. Thankfully, my 16 year old son has been accepted as a apprentice with a large company. I am a single parent who was claiming Income Support, I am also my brother's Carer, therefore Carers Allowance was being payed. I received Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit (All under the Scottish system). Since my son left school in the summer and commenced the Apprenticeship this month (minimum apprentice wage applies), I have advised all the benefit departments of this change. So, obviously CB and CTC has stopped. My quandry is that My son is being payed monthly, his bus fare to work is £17 per week and he has to attend college on Monday for a week which will cost £35.50 (the cheapest way I can find for him to travel). I am overjoyed that he has this opportunity but, he is not payed until the 25th of the month and it is a struggle to get him to work. Is there anything out there that can help us through this time. Your replies are much appreciated.

Comments

• Go to https://www.turn2us.org.uk and check what benefits each of you are entitled to. He might be entitled to Working Tax Credit, for instance. One downside though is that he is now a 'non-dependent' so if you are getting housing and council tax benefit, they might be affected - let the council know asap to avoid any overpayment.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Go to www.turn2us.org.uk and check what benefits each of you are entitled to. He might be entitled to Working Tax Credit, for instance.

He is 16, you need to be 25 to claim working tax credits
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    He is 16, you need to be 25 to claim working tax credits

Exactly!

Plus, if a non dependant is under 18 years old there is a nil deduction as regards HB and CTB.

Since this is only a transitional period because your son isn't getting paid until the end of the month, he should ask the company if there is any way they could give him some wages in advance.

Most employers would be happy to do this.
  • Forgot to mention that www.turn2us.org.uk also has information on grants available for one off costs.
  • Please accept my thanks to all that replied to my query. It is much appreciated, I will check out the website mentioned.
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport