Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 23rd Aug 12, 9:57 AM
    • 9,808Posts
    • 2,644Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Wtc
    • 23rd Aug 12, 9:57 AM
    Wtc 23rd Aug 12 at 9:57 AM
    We jointly claimed WTC for 6 months (2 years ago) - and according to HMRC, we were overpaid to the tune of £1800 - this came to light after a court summons was sent (which scared the pejabers out of me and I wrote back agreeing to pay "anything"

Since then, I have had a good look at our finances and found that due to Job Centre sending the wrong info to HMRC, our income was some £3000 less than that reported - also WTC have told me that they overlapped our WTC payments (continued paying for another month after the claim was stopped) - claiming to have paid us over £500 that month alone - THEY ONLY PAID US £175 that month - I have written twice to them (by recorded delivery) - giving them our actual income - but they have not even responded and have asked for proof of any WTC that they claim to have paid us....

I am worried that they will still try to recoup more than they are entitled to - HMRC-WTC appear beyond the reach of the law and decency
    I have already brought my MP in - who was unable to offer any real help
    I am registered disabled (poor speech) hence am unable to phone them up...
Page 1
  • CAB Birmingham representative
    • 3rd Sep 12, 2:44 PM
    • 3rd Sep 12, 2:44 PM
    We jointly claimed WTC for 6 months (2 years ago) - and according to HMRC, we were overpaid to the tune of £1800 - this came to light after a court summons was sent (which scared the pejabers out of me and I wrote back agreeing to pay "anything"

Since then, I have had a good look at our finances and found that due to Job Centre sending the wrong info to HMRC, our income was some £3000 less than that reported - also WTC have told me that they overlapped our WTC payments (continued paying for another month after the claim was stopped) - claiming to have paid us over £500 that month alone - THEY ONLY PAID US £175 that month - I have written twice to them (by recorded delivery) - giving them our actual income - but they have not even responded and have asked for proof of any WTC that they claim to have paid us....

I am worried that they will still try to recoup more than they are entitled to - HMRC-WTC appear beyond the reach of the law and decency
    I have already brought my MP in - who was unable to offer any real help
    I am registered disabled (poor speech) hence am unable to phone them up...
    Originally posted by 21Twinkle
    Dear Madam,

We are sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with HMRC.

We believe that the best course of action for you to take is to exhaust HMRCís internal complaints procedure as you believe they have made several mistakes in regards to your finances. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/things-go-wrong/complaints-appeals/how-to-complain.htm

You may make a complaint over the phone by calling their helpline on 0345 300 3900 or if it is better you, you may complain in writing to the Complaints Manager at the Tax credit office, Preston, PR1 4AT.

If you write in, put 'Complaint' at the top of your letter and include your:
    full name and address
    National Insurance number
    telephone number
    The Complaints Manager will look at your concerns and contact you - normally within 15 working days. They try to resolve most complaints at this stage.

If after this, you are still not satisfied, you can contact the Adjudicators office. The Adjudicator acts as an impartial referee looking into complaints about the HMRC.

You can write to:

The Adjudicatorís Office
    8th
    Floor
    Euston Tower
    Euston Road
    London NW1 3US

You can telephone: 0300 057 1111 or 020 7667 1832 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday (apart from Bank Holidays).

They should contact you within ten working days.

For further information on The Adjudicator, please click on the following link:
    http://www.adjudicatorsoffice.gov.uk/contact.htm

Kind regards,
    Birmingham CAB
    ďOfficial CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe Iíve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,597Posts Today

9,806Users online

Martin's Twitter