captain184

1 Allay claims are charging me 36% on a successful PPI claim. According to the Law Society a PPI cap of 20% (excluding VAT) was imposed by The Financial Guidance and Claims Act 2018 with effect 10 July 2018. Are Allay claims now breaking the law by imposing the 36%?
2 Should this charge be imposed on the gross amount recoverable or the net amount paid to me?
Thank you

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 October 2018 at 6:55AM
    1 Didn't know about that, so can't help - is the 36% inclusive of VAT, because they can do that....

2 the gross amount
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Thanks Taff. On item 1 the document is quite clear on its instruction as a 20% cap so I will pursue that with Allay and the Law Society solicitor guidelines. Another of my observations is that Allay use the term 'we are entitled to xxx%' where is that entitlement documented? Normally a payment phrase would be 'our charges are' or words to that effect. I will continue the quest for answers.
  • Thank you. Yes indeed it does and I only engaged them in September 18. I was a tad annoyed after I had done so because this forum and self help claims would have saved me a substantial amount of money. Anyway I have to bite the bullet as it were but their operations seem to be erratic to say the least. Other web forums show some customers have only been charged 24%! I will continue my quest for answers.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    Forumite
    Again, is the 36% incusive of VAT?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    Forumite
    captain184 wrote: »
    Another of my observations is that Allay use the term 'we are entitled to xxx%' where is that entitlement documented?
    On the contract you signed I expect. Check the documentation.
    -taff wrote: »
    is the 36% incusive of VAT?
    My first thought too, -taff.
    What is the breakdown of fees versus VAT?
    Is the 36% figure your own calculation, captain184?
    captain184 wrote: »
    some customers have only been charged 24%!
    Even that figure is 4% over the capping level.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    20% fee plus 20% VAT is 24%. The cap is on the fee before VAT.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Apologies yes it is
  • Thank you yes my assessment of the % charge as well
  • The amount of redress is £11280.08, charges claimed are £4060.83 that doesn't seem to be correct then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure