Homebuyers survey repair quotes

I apologise if this is in the wrong place, but hoping someone can help.

I have just received the homebuyers report for a property i am in the process of purchasing and wondering if anyone had a rough idea of the repair costs. I plan to get quotes for the below, but would like to know that the quotes are reasonable.

1) The cost to repair the chimney, which has a few loose bricks and maybe replacing the chimney pot bedding mortar.
2) The cost of installing mains powered fire alarms
3) The cost of replacing a back boiler with a combi-boiler.

Thank you for any help:beer:

Comments

• plumberpaig
    plumberpaig Posts: 65
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi, my first post :)

You'll only be able to get rough estimates online.

1. £150-250
    2. £80-£130 per alarm
    3. £2,200

Some questions:
    1. How many fire alarms do you require? Do you mean smoke alarms?
    2. How many bedrooms, bathrooms and separate showers do you have in the property?

This will help with more precise quotes.

The cost of replacing a back boiler with a new combi can be anywhere from £2,000 to £2,650 depending on the boiler you have fitted and the upgrades you require (TRV's, radiators, smart thermostat, magnetic filter etc etc)
  • sugar-hill
    sugar-hill Posts: 15
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi, my first post :)

You'll only be able to get rough estimates online.

1. £150-250
    2. £80-£130 per alarm
    3. £2,200

Some questions:
    1. How many fire alarms do you require? Do you mean smoke alarms?
    2. How many bedrooms, bathrooms and separate showers do you have in the property?

This will help with more precise quotes.

The cost of replacing a back boiler with a new combi can be anywhere from £2,000 to £2,650 depending on the boiler you have fitted and the upgrades you require (TRV's, radiators, smart thermostat, magnetic filter etc etc)

Congrats on your first post:)

Thanks you for your comments, they're really helpful. I plan to get a gas safe engineer to service the back boiler and hopefully it will be safe to keep it running a tad longer.

Yes I did mean smoke alarms, thanks. Probably a couple on each floor, so 4-6? (I don't know:o)
    The house is a 3 bed semi, living room, dining room, Kitchen, bathroom with bath and shower.

Thank you for your help!
  • 4-6 smoke alarms?

Is this for the refurbishment of Buckingham Palace?
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 751
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hiya Sugar-Hill

Imsure someone with more knowlege will corect me, but my understanding is that smoke/fire alarms should be in the Uppstairs hall, downstaits hall and kitchen, with CO2 alarms anywhere you use gas (Hob, boiler etc)

As for the rest, here is what I paid in South Wales:

1) The cost to repair the chimney, which has a few loose bricks and maybe replacing the chimney pot bedding mortar.

£400 for a days work repointing and capping - If you need scaffholding this can significanly increase

2) The cost of installing mains powered fire alarms

£80 per alarm, supply and fit, in my case, £480

3) The cost of replacing a back boiler with a combi-boiler.

Depends on your heating system currently, I paid £4,100 for a new boiler and pipework, that was with exposed floors/walls and no making good
  • plumberpaig
    plumberpaig Posts: 65
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I would fit 2 combined smoke and CO alarms on each floor (in the middle of each floor as high up as possible).

While you're at it, get the electrician to fit a heat alarm in the kitchen, a smoke alarm there is a bad idea because of nuisance tripping.

A back boiler will last for a very, very long time without breaking down. I would only change it for (1) convenience of hot water and/or (2) to save a little bit of money.

Boiler size, you just need an entry level boiler and I suggest:

A Heatline combi if you're on a very, very tight budget.
    An Intergas combi if you have a little more to spend.

If you're staying there a while then an Ideal Vogue, Worcester 25i or a Vaillant ecoTEC Pro 24.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure