The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

New work location

Am after a bit of advice regarding an imminent change at my workplace.

I have been working for the same employer at the same site for 20 years plus.

Seven years ago an additional site was opened at which time all contracts were amended to state that the management may ask that staff work at either site. During this period, I have never been asked to do so although my duties do involve providing remote technical support to this site.

Recently, we have been informed that a new piece of equipment is to be installed at the second site and that we will be required to provide onsite support - probably for 1 day a week.
This second site is approx 30min further for me to travel to and would also attract additional expense (fuel and toll)

My question is:
Is it reasonable for me to expect the additional travel time to be taken out of my normal working day ? I normally leave home at 7am to reach work at 7.30am, therefore should I still leave home at 7am as this is my norm, with the additional 30 min being taken out of my shift ? The reverse would also apply at clocking off time ?
Is/are there any relevant laws etc that cover this eventuality ?
My Union and HR department are not being particularly helpful !!

Additionally, we have "customised" workspaces in our current office - personal chairs, height adjustable desks etc, would it be reasonable to expect the same level of equipment at other locations (all was recommended via H+S workplace assessments)

Comments

• lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 May 2018 at 12:20PM
    JamoLew wrote: »
    ....Seven years ago an additional site was opened at which time all contracts were amended to state that the management may ask that staff work at either site.........we will be required to provide onsite support - probably for 1 day a week.......
    Your contract is clear and has been accepted by the workforce 7 years ago. Unless stated in the contract there is no compensation for additional travel costs, although it would be interesting to know if the union tried for this at the time.

No reason not to expect the same level of equipment at the other location and this is the time to ask for a Health & Safety assessment.

Whilst you state that HR and your union have been useless I presume they've explained you are bound by your contract? What costs are involved because the one day per week could easily be increased by your employer.
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks for the response.

Although the change was accepted years ago, would customary practice not come into play is this situation ?

I am unsure on the exact wording but if it does state "ask" or "request" rather that "demand" or "expect" would we be permitted to refuse any request on the grounds of additional cost/time ?

We have requested an assessment but as we will only be on site one day a week they seem reluctant to perform one since they would have to provide identical equipment etc for each member of staff on each site.

Additional costs are approx one gallon of fuel per day and approx £4 a day in tolls, so in total approx £10 a day. (Am being deliberately vague to avoid identification of location/employer etc)
  • dlmcr
    dlmcr Posts: 182
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The way I see it is that if it is written into your contract that your normal place of work will be at one of two sites I don't think you can refuse to work at these sites. Just because it hasn't come up in 7 years isn't really relevant. They would have set up a new site 7 years ago and altered contracts to reflect the fact that they were operating at another site and would potentially need resourcing at that site at some point. How else would they do it? They are not requesting you to work at the other site, they are telling you that (because it is in your contract). As a previous poster stated the time for challenging the contract was 7 years ago when the changes were propsed. The quoted additional costs and time are not really relevant, in my opinion neither are massive. You are lucky to have customised office furniture though, when I did my stint at the NHS years ago we were lucky to be shoved in a back office somewhere with a rickety wobbly desk, a CGA monitor and a chair that was terrible for the back. Times must have changed.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2018 at 10:39PM
    JamoLew wrote: »
    My question is:
    Is it reasonable for me to expect the additional travel time to be taken out of my normal working day ?

The answer to that question is:

- It is unreasonable, but it depends on what your contract of employment says regarding it. (Do you get that perk with your current commute? If so, you are probably being reasonable)
    I normally leave home at 7am to reach work at 7.30am, therefore should I still leave home at 7am as this is my norm, with the additional 30 min being taken out of my shift ? The reverse would also apply at clocking off time ?

Starting to think you are a troll tbh.... Either that or 20 years in the same job have warped your mind!

If the boss wants you in at X o clock, you set off and leave with enough time to get there.

If the boss wants you out at Y o clock, you punch out at that time and go home.

As long as X and Y, as well as the hours, match up with your contractual terms then happy days!

Also, and a potentially strange concept for you, but in order to work for an employer you have to *shock horror* attend their premises (unless you get a remote working job)! If you've agreed to work at both sites in your contract then what do you expect? For all you are concerned, you can be put there permanently tomorrow.

If they DON'T match up......
    Is/are there any relevant laws etc that cover this eventuality ?
    My Union and HR department are not being particularly helpful !!

....You speak to your union :)

Have you highlighted any contractual discrepancies to the Union and/or HR?
    Additionally, we have "customised" workspaces in our current office - personal chairs, height adjustable desks etc, would it be reasonable to expect the same level of equipment at other locations (all was recommended via H+S workplace assessments)

I think that would be reasonable, yes. You should speak to HR about this, as they should ideally be accommodating you.

Sadly, unless you have something concrete in your other bit you are probably getting their backs up and may find them a bit slower in resolving your workplace assessments issue. That would be wrong of them to do so, but could prove to be some ammo for your gun should you decide to go all guns blazing on this (potentially futile if you've got nothing concrete backing you up).

Good luck with whatever you choose, maybe speak to ACAS for advice as well.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Surely it's not reasonable to supply personal chairs and desks to staff who are only there one day a week? Surely you supply adjustable furniture and expect staff to adjust it?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,677
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    I would expect you to just have to suck this up.
    It is not unreasonable to do a 60 minute commute to work, especially as it is only 1 day a week. Many people do that 5 days a week.

In terms of the toll, can you not go a different way?

Maybe ask for a pay rise to cover the additional expenses? (not the commute time).

For the H&S aspect, no idea.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure