PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why aren't properties advertised with all the key facts?

After coming off of a sale falling through, I'm tentatively dipping my toe in the market again.

This time I'm much more wary when looking at properties online and its really annoying me that a lot of properties are marketed without the relevant facts displayed.

I think it should be mandatory for marketed properties to display

If they are freehold or leasehold

If leasehold, how long the lease is and the number of years remaining.

How much the service charges are

How much the ground rent is

Council tax band

A floorplan with detailed measurements

What floor the property is on

The number of ads I've seen where this basic information isn't listed or they are awaiting this information is ridiculous. It just makes it easier all round if this information is displayed prominently so I can assess if it is suitable.

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Because property adverts are just that - adverts. Sales literature designed to highlight the positives of a product, not its negatives. Furthermore, whilst there are regulations etc as to the inclusion of information which is inaccurate or misleading, there is nothing similar relating to the omission of said information.

You seem to think that what's best for the buyer is best for the seller - that's not always the case.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Because there's no such thing as the property advertising police to enforce such rules, and even if there was why should it be your list of rules that is enforced rather than somebody else's? As the prospective purchase it is in your interests to do your own due diligence.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    IMO EAs are shooting themselves in the foot when the omit basic info like this.

When we came to sell our house last year, one of the main criteria we used in reducing the myriad of available EAs down to a shortlist of 3 or 4 from which to get a quote was the quality of their existing and recent listings.
  • ReadingTim
    edited 10 May 2018 at 3:01PM
    IMO EAs are shooting themselves in the foot when the omit basic info like this.

In which case, you don't understand the role of an agent.

Whilst an EA can draft a property ad, only the vendor can approve it. Furthermore, in many cases (eg length of lease) only the vendors know the information anyway. An agent can request info and suggest it's included, but if the vendor doesn't know it or fails to supply it, and is happy with what someone might regard as a substandard or incomplete advertisement, then the fault lies squarely and completely with that vendor, not their agent.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It is frustrating that basic information such as a floor plan aren't provided but consider how much easier it is now that just 10 years ago, and especially compared to 20 years ago. At least these days you have tools like Google Maps and Streetview, and online photos. In the old days you could drive miles to a viewing and as you drive up to the house, be thinking, "Oh, cr*p", whereas now you can eliminate the "oh, cr*p" ones a lot earlier and easier.

So, things could be a lot worse, and we should be thankful for small mercies.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    NaughtiusMaximus Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    In which case, you don't understand the role of an agent.

Whilst an EA can draft a property ad, only the vendor can approve it. Furthermore, in many cases (eg length of lease) only the vendors know the information anyway. An agent can request info and suggest it's included, but if the vendor doesn't know it or fails to supply it, and is happy with what someone might regard as a substandard or incomplete advertisement, then the fault lies squarely and completely with that vendor, not their agent.

Unless they have an uncooperative vendor, a competent EA would not draft a substandard or incomplete advertisement in the first place.

I accept there are some vendors who would choose not to state if a property is freehold or leasehold and if the latter may not want to disclose on the listing the length of the remaining lease or details of charges/fees. There are possibly also a few who may refuse to allow an EA to take measurements, take photos of every room or produce a floorplan but when the vast majority of their listings omit these details, the only logical conclusion is the EA aren't asking the vendor for this at all.
  • I can only agree that these items should be there listed clearly right at the outset.

Why waste anyone's time having to find out such basic stuff?

It is beyond time the Government legislated on minimum standards of what must be stated at the outset.

Otherwise - if nothing is said about any of these details, then obviously the buyer "knows" the property is freehold, in a standard (ie Council-maintained) road, no service charges, etc - as they haven't been told otherwise and so therefore will assume The Norm applies.
  • ReadingTim
    Unless they have an uncooperative vendor, a competent EA would not draft a substandard or incomplete advertisement in the first place.

I accept there are some vendors who would choose not to state if a property is freehold or leasehold and if the latter may not want to disclose on the listing the length of the remaining lease or details of charges/fees. There are possibly also a few who may refuse to allow an EA to take measurements, take photos of every room or produce a floorplan but when the vast majority of their listings omit these details, the only logical conclusion is the EA aren't asking the vendor for this at all.

No mate, the only logical conclusion is that you're completely unaware of the principle of caveat emptor.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    If the seller is a relative of an old person they might not know if it was leasehold or freehold or which council tax band it was in. I wouldn't have been able to tell you any of that if I had been selling an aunt's house or my grandmother's house all the information would be sorted out in the searches.
  • RedRuby_2
    RedRuby_2 Posts: 122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 May 2018 at 4:11PM
    ReadingTim
    Because property adverts are just that - adverts. Sales literature designed to highlight the positives of a product, not its negatives. Furthermore, whilst there are regulations etc as to the inclusion of information which is inaccurate or misleading, there is nothing similar relating to the omission of said information.

You seem to think that what's best for the buyer is best for the seller - that's not always the case.

I'm not asking for a list of subjective faults about the property that the seller would want to hide. Just facts that will will be asked for anyway. Facts that would be best for both parties to know, that way the seller won't get any time wasters and the buyer won't waste time inquiring about an unsuitable property.

agrinnall
    Because there's no such thing as the property advertising police to enforce such rules, and even if there was why should it be your list of rules that is enforced rather than somebody else's? As the prospective purchase it is in your interests to do your own due diligence.

A property sale is in the interests of all parties involve. The seller wants to sell , the buyer wants to buy and the EA gets commission for the sale. Its in everyone's interest to lay all the facts on the table. If you are selling a property then guess what its time to dig out all the paperwork and information from when you bought and say how long the lease is, how much your service charge is, buildings insurance etc. These are things you can't hide if you truly want a sale so why omit them?

Estate Agents when they are advertising a property surely ask for the details of the property, 'earn' their fee and commission by doing a floorplan taking photos etc. They want a sale to go through so why wouldn't they market it fully. If they omit details, they just end up with people calling and asking these questions and not bothering to view.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure