Options
2»

Comments

• 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jevoudrais wrote: »
    Thinking back probably credit cards were out before debit cards. Did debit cards come on the back of cheque guarantee cards ?

Did you forget to ask for your Green Sheild Stamps ?
    Esso tiger tail ?

Did they clean your windscreen ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jevoudrais wrote: »
    TY Gary did you see my Hotel scenario above please ?

Same answer

They will hold the amount specified and your available credit will decrease by that amount
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    See todays threads about ASDA lolol
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Options
    THe Q is why was a pre-authorisation amount taken IF incorrect pin was entered. Can you imagine a stolen card and the Asda level of pre-authorisation, combined will give victims unnecessary stress if a bunch of £99 holds appear.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    THe Q is why was a pre-authorisation amount taken IF incorrect pin was entered. Can you imagine a stolen card and the Asda level of pre-authorisation, combined will give victims unnecessary stress if a bunch of £99 holds appear.

Asda have stopped it now - so it is unlikely to have been an issue.

I entered my card to pay at the pump in Sainsburys, put in my number - it churned for ages, said don't remove card and then said transaction cancelled. I put the card back in, entered the pin again and the transaction went through.

Looking at my account there were two £1 holds. These disappeared a couple of days later when the full amount for the petrol was taken.

We get regular posts about these issues, but they almost always resolve themselves very quickly. It only becomes an issue where people have very little headroom on their accounts. Having several credit cards and keeping utilisation low should help.
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    I'd guess the FOS person isn't very familiar with credit cards - this is called 'pre-authorisation'.

Sainsburys mention it on their website: https://help.sainsburys.co.uk/help/stores/faq-pay-at-pump

The same can happen when you check-in at a hotel or hire a car - but the pre-authorisation amounts are much higher.

How can it be a pre authorisation if the incorrect pin was used? It wouldn't have charged the card
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    tastyhog wrote: »
    How can it be a pre authorisation if the incorrect pin was used? It wouldn't have charged the card
    my situation at a tesco petrol station was that i used the wrong pin, the transaction cancelled, but available credit lowered and debt increased for about 13 hours
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Options
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    Asda have stopped it now - so it is unlikely to have been an issue.

I entered my card to pay at the pump in Sainsburys, put in my number - it churned for ages, said don't remove card and then said transaction cancelled. I put the card back in, entered the pin again and the transaction went through.

Looking at my account there were two £1 holds. These disappeared a couple of days later when the full amount for the petrol was taken.

We get regular posts about these issues, but they almost always resolve themselves very quickly. It only becomes an issue where people have very little headroom on their accounts. Having several credit cards and keeping utilisation low should help.
    tastyhog wrote: »

If it is only £1 then not really an issue but the £99 could be, depending on when it was used. I don't think there should be too much argument on the pre-authorisation once pin has been confirmed to check available credit before taking fuel. Asda have for years had notices about Electron cards saying if you take less than £25 your card may initially have a hold for £25 on until confirmed.
    The problem is when the debit when pin hasn't been verified. If Asda have backed down not so much an issue, but if you have £100 in your bank and put an incorrect pin, had £99 ear marked temporary and then remembered your pin and put it in, it would only show £1 available and so most likely not dispense any fuel.

The question is why is hold put on the cash when no PIN verification has been successful?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure