Fidelity ETF ishares FTSE 100

Am hoping someone can help with this one.
I have received my consolidated tax voucher for 2017/18 tax year which dhows dividends paid on my Fidelity ishares core FTSE 100 ETF fund.
As this is my first tax voucher from Fidelity and noticed that on the voucher it is shown as a foreign divided Ireland paid in sterling of course, how should I enter the dividend on my tax return?
Should it be entered as a foreign divided on the self assessment tax return and also what are the tax implications on an ETF. I had no idea when I took out the fund that it was domiciled in Ireland. I know this means no stamp duty is payable on the purchase of shares.
Hoping you can advise
Many thanks

Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 3 May 2018 at 4:56PM
    It is (relatively) straightforward. Mostly you just have to report what dividends you got... but as a special measure to stop people dodging income tax by using non-UK funds that don't distribute all their profits, the twist is that the fund has agreed to be a "reporting offshore fund" which will publish a report of how much income it received but didn't pass out to investor by way of dividend during the tax year. You'll need to include that extra number in your tax return.

It is a reporting offshore fund invested in equities so the income you get from it counts as dividends rather than interest.

You know how much you received in your fidelity account on the various distribution dates (and have a tax voucher for it). And iShares have published a report saying how much income (if any) they received on investors behalf but didn't actually distribute. For the Core FTSE100 UCITS ETF, the figure was £0.0001 per unit for their accounting year ended 28/2/2017. It would be deemed to be distributed to you (even though you didn't physically get it, it will have just been internally reinvested) six months later, ie 31/8/17. So that's what is going to be needed to be added into your report for tax year 2017/18. If you have 2000 shares at £0.0001 per unit that's £0.2

On the income part of your return there's box 4 for dividends received from UK companies (see notes), box 5 for other dividends received (see notes), box 6/7 for foreign dividends if the dividends are no more than £300.

If the divs (including the excess reported income amount) are over £300 you will need to put it into the "Foreign" pages of your tax return.

This is a separate PDF document from the basic SA100 if you're doing it on paper, or just mark on the online version that you need the Foreign pages when you are tailoring the return for your circumstances, and that section will appear. So then you can put in the dividend details from your tax voucher (plus the X shares you held multiplied by £0.0001 for excess undistributed income.

To save this rigmarole, if you only have limited ISA allowance it can be worthwhile doing your investing in foreign domiciled funds inside your ISA and your normal easy UK funds outside your ISA. Then the question of "excess reported income" amounts on offshore funds doesn't come up, because you don't have any non-UK funds outside a tax wrapper. Generally ETFs are going to be Ireland or Luxembourg domiciled.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    now that bowlhead has given the answer, the next thing is to wonder what possessed you to buy a FTSE100 tracker? One of the worst indexes to track in the Western world. Awful returns and awful diversification.

Hopefully its not the only UK element to your portfolio i.e. you have a 250 or all-share tracker as well (and hopefully its not the only fund in your portfolio, which would be even worse)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • confusedetf
    confusedetf Posts: 11 Forumite
    Thanks you for such a quick response bowlhead99.
    Is there a disadvantage to owning ishares FTSE 100 UCITS ETF taxwise compared with buying FTSE 100 shares which are not an ETF?
  • confusedetf
    To confirm, is 13776 units multiplied by £0.0001 £137.76?
    Does the dividend figure received also have to be entered in Box 6/7 for foreign dividends if over £300?
    Plus get the Foreign Pages when tailoring the online tax return and enter dividend details and X shares held multiplied by £0.0001?
    Thanks in advance
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 3 May 2018 at 4:58PM
    Is there a disadvantage to owning ishares FTSE 100 UCITS ETF taxwise compared with buying FTSE 100 shares which are not an ETF?

Well, for a start it means you have to fill out different boxes of the tax return from what you would do with normal UK dividends, and chase around for extra information about what was allocated to you without being distributed to your or your broker. Which is a "disadvantage" from a tax perspective as I would see it, because it's causing you to do more work. However, the tax rates themselves are the same.

In other words, in this case the particular ETF you are using is an HMRC compliant one (it has UK reporting fund status) so (unlike with some offshore funds) you don't need to pay income tax on your capital gains, you just pay normal capital gains tax on your casual gains, and you don't pay a higher rate of UK income tax on the dividends just because they're foreign, and Ireland won't have withheld any Irish tax on your distribution.

The tax situation might be different if you were using ETFs which were not compliant with that HMRC offshore funds reporting regime, or were based in a location where they withheld foreign taxes on dividends they distributed to investors.

As an aside, you mention now "ishares FTSE 100 UCITS ETF". There's an iShares accumulating ETF of that name which doesn't distribute income at all and the extra un-distributed income you would have needed to find out about and put into your tax return is much higher. The one you mentioned earlier was from the iShares Core range (IE0005042456) which pays out GBP dividends four times a year, right?
    To confirm, is 13776 units multiplied by £0.0001 £137.76?
    No, it's about £1.38.

Sorry for any confusion, in my original post I meant 2000 shares at 0.0001 was £0.2 not £2. Have now fixed the typo

If you really have 13776 units/shares... they are worth about £7.50 each. Do you really have £100k worth of this fund? Or do you mean you have £13776 of the fund. No offence intended but if you were investing £100k into a single index via exchange traded funds I would have expected you to have looked into the implications a bit more. If it's a small dabble with some spare money that didn't fit into your ISA, fair enough :)
    Does the dividend figure received also have to be entered in Box 6/7 for foreign dividends if over £300?
    The instructions allow you to just put the numbers in those boxes if you have a small dividend value under £300. If you have a bigger number you can't put it in that box, you need to do the proper Foreign section
    Plus get the Foreign Pages when tailoring the online tax return and enter dividend details and X shares held multiplied by £0.0001?
    Thanks in advance
    If the number is over £300 it's too big to be allowed to be put in the main part of your return, you put it on the Foreign pages instead, not as well as.

Just read the instructions.
  • confusedetf
    Thank you so much for all the help and information.
    It is a bit of a minefield out there!!
    Once again many thanks
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 May 2018 at 1:25PM
    Like Dunston, I'm more bemused by the fact you have a FTSE100 investment, than the minutea of its tax treatment. It's like discussing if you should burn your money by setting fire to £20 notes or fivers.
  • confusedetf
    Thank you for all the information you gave with regard to my questions on ETF's.
    I understand the paper SA106 Foreign Supplementary Page form differs from the online SA106 version. Does that mean there are different layouts for entering dividends received plus excess undistributed income? If there was a gain when selling any of the units on the ETF, this too would have to be entered on the SA106?
    I understand the ETF I have has UK reporting fund status so normal capital gains tax on any casual gains applies and I don't have to pay a higher rate of UK income tax on the dividends because they are foreign. The ETF Fund as mentioned earlier is domiciled in Ireland.
    I know the capital gains tax allowance is £11100 and the tax allowance for dividends is £2000 for the 2018/19 tax year.
    Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Capital Gains allowance is £11,700 for 2018/19
  • confusedetf
    Many thanks....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories