vax vs hoover vacuum cleaners - any recommendations ?

looking to get a vacuum cleaner and see bagless vacuum cleaners of vax and hoover both available. wondering if ppl had any recommendations ?

my top priority is quietness, then ease of use and cleaning ability

thanks

Comments

• N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    I think you need to put more information as to what recommendations you want. Upright, cylinder, etc. Why not other brands....

Personally I don't like bag-less. I prefer the rubbish to be neatly bagged for me and throw it in the bin.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • dada44
    dada44 Posts: 247 Forumite
    both upright and cylinder. though inclining towards upright

those brands specifically because i notice they are both on sale in a few stores, some of their vacuums more than half price off

thanks

(ps, i do prefer bagless, because after owning a miele cylinder, i'd like something a little cheaper to run)
  • Myser
    Myser Posts: 1,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Vax upright vacuum cleaners are light and easy to manouever. They may not be as durable as other brands however, they do offer a 6 year warranty.

Both Vax and Hoover have a new cordless upright if you don't like a corded vacuum cleaner.
    If my post hasn't helped you, then don't click the 'Thanks' button! ;)
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I love my vax, used it while refurbishing most of my house, it must have picked up hundreds of kilos of dust, plaster, wood shavings and it's still going strong. I have 2 dogs and it still amazes me every day how much hair it picks up!

In 2 years I've had one belt snap, that's it.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I find bagless cleaners noisier than bagged.
  • Myser
    Myser Posts: 1,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lee111s wrote: »
    I love my vax, used it while refurbishing most of my house, it must have picked up hundreds of kilos of dust, plaster, wood shavings and it's still going strong. I have 2 dogs and it still amazes me every day how much hair it picks up!

In 2 years I've had one belt snap, that's it.

I found that the Vax Air model gets clogged up when collecting plaster and building dust. The filter in the top housing was completely blocked and it stopped sucking.

Wouldn't recommend it for vacuuming up large amounts of building work debris. Probably better off using an industrial vacuum cleaner or something like a Henry.
    If my post hasn't helped you, then don't click the 'Thanks' button! ;)
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    We got another upright Vax in the sales this year, it was about £100. Not sure of the model but its plastic bits are orange - Vax air maybe. It has a tilting head and whilst vaccing upright it's fine. The rotating head can be turned on and off for switching from carpets to wood flooring. The hose is a bit short and so is the power lead, but it's much lighter than our old Vax so no issues as I can carry it whilst doing the stairs.
    We had our previous vax for 7 years and it was fine. When the tube holder thingamy on the side broke, we rang vax and they sent out a new part straight away - we'd registered it and it had a 6 year warranty. So good customer service in my experience as well. Not had a hoover for years so couldn't comment, we had a dyson before the vax and that was good, but notably expensive and I wouldn't say it was particularly a better performer than the vax. My overall view is Vax are decent enough and better value than a dyson for general household vacuuming.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    They both suck.....

Tim Vine has become the first comedian to be awarded the "funniest joke" at the Edinburgh Fringe twice, with a one-line quip about a vacuum cleaner.

His joke, picked from more than 7,000 comic offerings, went: "I've decided to sell my Hoover... well, it was just collecting dust."

They both suck....
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • dada44
    dada44 Posts: 247 Forumite
    thanks. seems like ppl like vax, and not many comments about hoover

i'd rather get something that's going to last 5+ years and pay a bit more than pay something cheap that i need to replace in 3 years.

i know ppl seem to rave on about miele (?) but to me they seem rather overpriced, given the competition
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    dada44 wrote: »
    i know ppl seem to rave on about miele (?) but to me they seem rather overpriced, given the competition

Miele are great at suction, but I found a few design issues that really could have been better and cost a lot to replace the broken parts.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure