Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Options

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's also quite possible that the account did give you benefits, such as a reduced interest rate on the mortgage, alongside other features
  • CatieBrown
    Options
    I'm not in financial hardship now but I was in a great deal of hardship when I was receiving all the charges a number of years ago. The charges were spiralling and making my situation worse. Can I still claim the charges back for the hardship it caused me at the time?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CatieBrown wrote: »
    I'm not in financial hardship now
    Therefore there is no point in you trying to "claim back" charges. Historical charges have not been refunded for a decade now.

Only current financial hardship cases are considered and, even then, banks are under no obligation to refund anything. The Banks are only required to behave sympathetically towards customers suffering hardship now and they have a range of options such as suspending interest or offering debt management available to them.

Read this thread, just a few pages will suffice, and you will see your question asked and answered again and again..
  • Tink660
    Options
    Hi, we had a Business account with Nat West from 1991 to approx 2003. We had so many bank charges, which put us in severe hardship at the time. It was a cycle we could not get out of, some days we would be hit with 3 or maybe more charges if £32 in one day. Then a customer would pay and it would be swallowed up by the charges. We did start a claim which was going well until the court case stopped any claiming. We still have all the paperwork and statements. Would it be possible to revisit this claim now. I know that so many years have elapsed since we had the account but would appreciate any thoughts.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. .
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tink660 wrote: »
    Hi, we had a Business account with Nat West from 1991 to approx 2003. We had so many bank charges, which put us in severe hardship at the time. It was a cycle we could not get out of, some days we would be hit with 3 or maybe more charges if £32 in one day. Then a customer would pay and it would be swallowed up by the charges. We did start a claim which was going well until the court case stopped any claiming. We still have all the paperwork and statements. Would it be possible to revisit this claim now. I know that so many years have elapsed since we had the account but would appreciate any thoughts.

Limited company or self employed? Not that it really matters now but a Limited company cant be financial hardship.

As you know, the court case ended reclaiming on "unfair" charges and today only "current" financial hardship cases are considered. Even then, its a on a goodwill basis and often includes other methods, such as suspending future charges or putting you on debt management plan etc and may not include any refund.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Shurl17
    Shurl17 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I’ve had a Barclays addition account for years. I want to claim the charges back, but I don’t have any paperwork i.e statements and I’m even unsure of the year I opened the account. Would I be able to request this from the bank directly?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can't claim them back, You make a complaint that the account was missold [that's if it's apackaged ban account you're complaining about]
    Bear in mind that to complain you need complaint reasons, it's not enough just to want the charges back.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Shurl17 wrote: »
    I’ve had a Barclays addition account for years. I want to claim the charges back, but I don’t have any paperwork i.e statements and I’m even unsure of the year I opened the account. Would I be able to request this from the bank directly?

If you were unhappy about a packaged account, you can complain but you need to show why this was miss-sold to you with evidence. Given the account was opened, by the sound of it, more than 6 years ago and the fact you'll have been getting annual statements of benefits with details of other accounts, it's quite probably time barred anyway even if there was a miss-selling reason.

If you mean actual charges like late fees etc, then no, you can't.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback