PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Needed a few ingredients for recipes to use up less-than-fresh veg, but went to the supermarket on an empty stomach ....

Came home with a big wedge of 'The Best' stilton, two rainbow trout fillets, 'The Best' pork and ale sausages, watercress, red gem lettuces, and frozen pomegranate seeds. All yellow sticker except the pom seeds. I have two packs of good sausages and several packs of salmon in the freezer, and I don't eat many leafy salads. :doh:

Then made Middle Eastern tomato salad (red onion/ long pepper/ walnuts/ pom molasses/ spices). Party in my mouth! :D

And made Moroccan carrot salad (chickpeas/ orange/ golden sultanas/ pistachios/ spices). Needs more spice and no chickpeas. :(

Slowly eating the sea bass with harissa from last night, plus a portion of each salad.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Farway wrote: »
    Lunch solved, used up last scrape of HM chutney on my SC beef sarnie

Rhubarb duly stewed & in a crumble, along with baked spud for dinner, not in the crumble although it reads like that:D
    Very MSE, using same oven:money:

After lunch I potted on nearly 30 tomato plants, I think yet again I've over done the toms, only needed about 20 total, including the small pot ones

If it wasn't for blight I'd be happy with them outside, think I'll have to risk it this year, no choice, only so many I can [STRIKE]palm off [/STRIKE]give away to friends
    Rhubarb crumble is my favourite way to have rhubarb and crumble though any kind of crumble is lovely:).
    I wish my toms were at the stage yours are at Farway, I've reached a lull in seed sowing as it's been far too cold to harden off & get my bedding plants outdoors and I've no more room indoors. One of the panes in my greenhouse needs fixing so it's not an option though my son has promised to sort it next week.:D
    Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Needed a few ingredients for recipes to use up less-than-fresh veg, but went to the supermarket on an empty stomach ....

Came home with a big wedge of 'The Best' stilton, two rainbow trout fillets, 'The Best' pork and ale sausages, watercress, red gem lettuces, and frozen pomegranate seeds. All yellow sticker except the pom seeds. I have two packs of good sausages and several packs of salmon in the freezer, and I don't eat many leafy salads. :doh:

Then made Middle Eastern tomato salad (red onion/ long pepper/ walnuts/ pom molasses/ spices). Party in my mouth! :D

And made Moroccan carrot salad (chickpeas/ orange/ golden sultanas/ pistachios/ spices). Needs more spice and no chickpeas. :(

Slowly eating the sea bass with harissa from last night, plus a portion of each salad.
    Oh lovely sounding meal Fire Fox, I'd happily take any LOs off of your hands;):).

Good evening everyone,
    It's still really cod here though the wind has dropped a bit, we've showers forecast for tomorrow which should warm things up and there is apparently to be a heatwave this weekend so fingers crossed. I'm fed up of fleeces & thermal socks!
    I had a reasonably productive day, got the admin I wanted out of the way done and cleared out the two bottom shelves in my larder cupboard. Glad I did as I found a leaked tin of golden syrup making a sticky mess, it had got knocked over and shoved to the back of the very bottom shelf which I find hard to access. I had forgotten I had it and the BBE was 09/2016:o:o:o. It's in the bin along with a bag of "boil in the bag" rice of a similiar vintage that I don't remember buying so must date from I had resident kids:o:o. The shelf now only has stuff at the front that I can reach easily so I can see what's there:D.
    I had soup & bread for lunch and it's meatballs, tom sauce and pasta for dinner. I've a pork steak in fridge to defrost to make some sort of stir fry tomorrow.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,051
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Caronc heads you can have Fire Fox's LOs tails I will :D.

Fire Fox where do you get frozen pomegranate seeds I've never see them? Can you make something like peas and lettuce to use up your salad leaves I usually make it with little gem lettuces, you could go from middle eastern to french :)

I love rhubarb crumble as well, definitely a taste from my childhood and reminds me a lot of my mum as she made a great one with birds custard most Sundays during the rhubarb season as we had several crowns :) but I'm trying to be good so I'm omitting the crumble from mine and it's not the same :(

The temperature is beginning to warm up here for a forecast barmy 22 at the weekend :) I walked lunchtime without a jacket, it was just a little chilly when out of the sun.

Lunch was a portion of the veg soup I made yesterday and dinner LO gammon with a 'Thai' salad with a peanut dressing
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,059
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Don't know where Fire Fox gets them but Tesco sell frozen pomegranate seeds just wish they would sell the molasses as well!
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,281
    Forumite
    Rhubarb crumble reminds me of my Grandmother as she used to make it. I love apple crumble.

My dinner was delish. I love mash and veggies with gravy. I might get some cabbage later this week as I love that with gravy too.
    Fire_Fox wrote: »

Hmm, what spices do you use? :)

I might get pomegranate molasses next time I get shopping, one of my online friends raves about the taste.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,051
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    Don't know where Fire Fox gets them but Tesco sell frozen pomegranate seeds just wish they would sell the molasses as well!

Thanks Caronc :) I'll send some pomegranate molasses up with the gin :D. Maybe something to ask your son to pick up for an Easter present :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    My parents used to grow rhubarb, so there were always a lot of rhubarb crumbles and rhubarb/custard in season. I've never bought any as it's very expensive. I think, if I were to ever consider growing food, I'd pop some rhubarb out ... just one plant probably, two max.

No idea what to eat today, my trouble is indecision/planning. If I can't decide, I can't plan. Lots I could eat ... but do I fancy it, will I fancy it?

Just popped an egg in and will then have a hard boiled egg for later, which I'll mix with a bit of s/cream and spoon into one of my muffins.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,281
    Forumite
    I am trying to get back to sleep as my husband is on nights but I got hungry so I had a glass of lemon water and a sandwich.:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,116
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    ;)Woke early so got up before the birds started shouting

Because I was up early I had porridge for breakfast, Tuesday is Volunteer day so normally skip breakfast

Into L's on way, couldn't find a thing, it's all been shuffled round, German articulated lorry in car park, seems it was shuffled overnight and only completed just before they opened
    Something to look forward to PN? Although mine may be linked to the larger new one opening a couple of miles away

Found the on offer veg, 29p stuff, carrots etc all grabbed, I'm told it's cheaper in A*da on offer, but carrot in the hand etc;)

There may have been YS but goodness knows where, porridge has vanished as well, custard & horse radish I gave up on

Came away with veg, butter & choc biscuits:o

Lunch was last of the corned beef, with sliced raw onion in a sarnie

Dinner, SC beef will somewhere in there, I left some of last night's dinner, just too full, but managed to cram some birthday posh chocs in later:)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

Into L's on way, couldn't find a thing, it's all been shuffled round, German articulated lorry in car park, seems it was shuffled overnight and only completed just before they opened
    Something to look forward to PN? Although mine may be linked to the larger new one opening a couple of miles away
    Mine was "the old style" until about a year ago when they moved it all round and put the 7' high chillers in. Now I can never find everything and most goods are left looking like a jumble sale.

Found the on offer veg, 29p stuff, carrots etc all grabbed, I'm told it's cheaper in A*da on offer, but carrot in the hand etc;)
    Yeah, I think A5da are doing a sort of "Xmas Veg" at 20p deal. bags of carrots, parsnips, whatnot. Just noticed somebody else posted about that online, but didn't take any notice (as A5da's a 16 mile round trip).

There may have been YS but goodness knows where, porridge has vanished as well, custard & horse radish I gave up on
    Yeah, it was hard enough finding things before.... it'll be worse now :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback