About time I sorted myself out

Comments

• Thank you Kitten868 - your kind words mean a lot. I was very young at the time and never really told many people about what had happened. I'm at the age now where most of my friends are pregnant with their second and sometimes the debt feels like the only thing getting in the way of me trying again - I often manage to conflate the two in my head! I am much, much better these days at coping with the sadness though and my fiance is very good at being there for me.

And thank you for saying I'm nailing it! I suppose I don't really trust myself after loads of poor financial decisions in the past where I really thought I was doing the best thing! I suppose every month I get a bit closer...

I will have to take a look at the snowballing thing. I suppose I am not 100% sure how to go about it because I have set payments for each debt. if that makes sense?

OH made a spreadsheet for me to track my finances and it is nice seeing some of the figures go down, but I think you're right about reframing it, I obviously wasn't 100% sure how much debt I was even in. Maybe I need a chart or something that I can LOOK at and feel satisfied when I colour a square in, like you suggested. I'm going to have a play on excel and see if I can create something that would help.
    Debt-free wannabe since Jan 2018.

Total debt: was £39,220.58, now £24,897
  • I have just signed up to a "survey" company that monitors what apps you use on your phone. £20 in Amazon or M&S vouchers for the first month, and £10 after. Read the T&Cs and it does seem very intrusive to be honest, but I will see how I get on and feel after the first voucher...

Can't tell if I'm mad or desperate or both.

Annoyed at myself today because I broke my finger at netball earlier this week, drop in centre instructed me to buy bandages, medical tape to strap it up and then ibuprofen gel to help with the pain and swelling, which was pretty bad to be fair. I wasn't planning on spending any money Monday-Friday this week, but that has set me back by about £8, despite me buying the own-brand cheapest versions of everything.

Then I missed the bus this morning and have had to drive into work to make it in on time. Extra £8.50. Grrrrrr.

• poppytattoo
    poppytattoo Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Right I've freaked out and pulled out of the data collection thing mentioned above.

Twenty quid in vouchers sounds good and would be a big help - but I realised over the weekend it isn't just recording what apps I use - it's listening to me through a microphone, watching what I type into Google, tracking me via GPS! I feel like I need to have more respect for my own privacy. That doesn't make me feel comfortable and I also worry about work, and the people around me, who haven't consented to being watched.

I may be stressed and desperate but I'm worth more than that.

• Any survey company that monitors apps you use or which tracks websites you use avoid like this plague. I have done surveys online for a few years now and topped up my income nicely.

Stick with the ones i have listed below i have put a brief overview of how they work, there sadly is alot of market research survey companies that are junk.

OpinionOutpost.co.uk (surveys are paid in points 5-25 points a survey you can draw down at 50 points 2.50 pay payout or amazon

Prolific Academic- surveys vary in price can draw down at 5pounds

Power of opinions- surveys are usually 15-50points, once you hit 1080 points you can draw into payment or bank

Qmee- surveys range from 5p too 1.50. Money can instantly be dropped into paypal.

Opinium Research surveys are usually 25p to 75p can drawdown into bank or paypal at 25pounds.

One poll surveys vary usually 10-30p can drop at 25quid.

Mingle respondi surveys vary in points can drop at 2000points

and swagbucks. Surveys are 10-100 points can drawdown at 800 points.

Yougov, 5000 points needed surveys are usually 50 points, but its a 50quid payout.

Some people use others but i really dont rate others out there. I earn depending on work etc etc on average about an extra 50-125 pm month on surveys. First one i would say too try is Qmee its quite steady.
  • That is incredibly helpful, thank you so much! I feel like I have spent so much time doing "surveys" in the past year or two and literally have seen NO benefit. But this list is amazing - I am going to save this down somewhere on my computer and then I have a record of what to go for - I'd much rather earn a couple of quid and actually get to access it than do surveys for the chance of winning a ridiculous price and just ending up spammed to death!

• Scott-Weiland
    Scott-Weiland Posts: 481 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2019 at 12:14PM
    That is incredibly helpful, thank you so much! I feel like I have spent so much time doing "surveys" in the past year or two and literally have seen NO benefit. But this list is amazing - I am going to save this down somewhere on my computer and then I have a record of what to go for - I'd much rather earn a couple of quid and actually get to access it than do surveys for the chance of winning a ridiculous price and just ending up spammed to death!

Qmee is your best bet too start with Poppy please let me know how you get on. On some good days if i am off work and just relaxing in front of the tv i can easy make 3-4 quid a day on qmee. Qmee also has a benefit like swagbucks as well on some surveys if you get say 30-40 percent through and they screen you out you still get points. Its tiny amounts but i have lost count of the times i have had the odd 5-10p here and there. I know it is not loads but every little helps even if your just building up an Emergency Fund.

I know what you mean re getting screen outs. I used too be on global test market and valued opinions and getting 2 3rds of the way through a survey was annoying.

Any survey questions pm me or look at my diary i did earn i think it was the year before last earn around 1300-1500 off surveys and cashback. So what Martin Lewis says on here is possible

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/make-money-surveys/
  • Morning all!
    Lovely sunny day today but of course I'm at work so can't really enjoy it.

I had a good day yesterday - fiance had some really good news at work.

I found out that I got 78% on my last uni assignment - not bad for a part timer, I've been doing this master's degree in my lunch breaks so to get another distinction (the highest grade) is really gratifying.

Also bandages are now off for broken finger and much less bruised and swollen, so looks like I'm on the mend.

I also enjoyed a quick 20 minute trip to cafe Nero for my free hot chocolate with 02 - it was a welcome break as I've been doing nearly 10 hour days in the office this week, absolutely snowed under - wish I had overtime in my job!

Doing a carboot sale this weekend and I cannot wait. Haven't really got any high-ticket items to sell on, but I do have a pile of clothes etc and if I can get rid of them and make a bit of cash I'll be happy.

• Morning all! The sun is shining, it's a Friday... and I feel rubbish. 12th April always has me feeling "meh" because of personal reasons. I've got a splitting headache but cant tell if it's purely emotional or if I've actually got something wrong with me.

However, I am doing my best to think positive. Takeaway tonight (cash pack up to £15 deal, so a chinese should only cost us about £3 after that) and binging Game of Thrones as we've been rewatching but need to finish season seven! I'll get there.

Hope everyone has a lovely end to the working week...

• Hi Poppy,

Didn't want to just read and run, especially without saying well done on posting so regularly again! I think you're doing really well (and slightly in awe of you managing to squeeze in a Masters while working) and will subscribe to cheer you on. I agree with a previous poster though that perhaps it's good to have a visual recognition of how you're doing, something tangible to colour in when a chunk of debt is paid off - ie each 1%. Have you created that chart for yourself?

Also is the c/c on 0% so that the payments are directly reducing the balance or is there interest? Which one are you focusing one as the priority debt to pay off first?

Keep going, you're doing great!
    P.s - I have also been binge watching GOT and was finishing series 7 over the weekend ;-)
  • Morning all! The sun is shining, it's a Friday... and I feel rubbish. 12th April always has me feeling "meh" because of personal reasons. I've got a splitting headache but cant tell if it's purely emotional or if I've actually got something wrong with me.

However, I am doing my best to think positive. Takeaway tonight (cash pack up to £15 deal, so a chinese should only cost us about £3 after that) and binging Game of Thrones as we've been rewatching but need to finish season seven! I'll get there.

Hope everyone has a lovely end to the working week...

Cashback on a takeaway seems so wrong but so good lol i can remember spending a fortune when the world cup was 10percent offer on Just Eat lol
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback