IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

New parking regulations at home...

Comments

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    play their silly game, you should be able to beat 20 tickets. as an extra once you get one popla win point out to warrick estates that any further tickets issued by their agents may incur a charge from you of £18 per hour invoiced to warrick estates as principal.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    And do tell all your neighbours not to pay these things and direct them here if they get one and need more information.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • Daniel_san
    Daniel_san Posts: 232 Forumite
    Sooooo....lol, I got my first "ticket" from UK Parking Solutions....yay...

The usual £100, reduced to £60 if paid in 14 days etc etc. No mention of POFA2012.

The only way UKPS handle appeals is by post it seems. Does anyone know different to this, as letters are just so 10 years ago! There is an email on their website admin@ukparkingsolution.co.uk. Is this worth a go or a dead end does anyone know please?

Their website has some interesting statements

"The final decision on revoking a charge notice rests with our appeals department." - Surely they mean POPLA, right?

"Please note we will defend ourselves vigourously and consider recoverying costs against any County Court action that may be issued against us, refer to the news section on the right of this page for latest court reports." - can't see anything on the right about latest court reports. Was fully expecting a run down of the Beavis case, but nope, nothing, no news section at all.

Thanks for any info on the email appeal. If it's not possible, I guess I'll go buy a stamp.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I can't answer your question about electronic appeals, but if you do have to post one, remember to send it first class from a post office and obtain a free certificate of posting. Don't send it recorded /signed for delivery under any circumstances and don't just bung it in a letter box.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Daniel_san wrote: »
    Their website has some interesting statements

"The final decision on revoking a charge notice rests with our appeals department." - Surely they mean POPLA, right?

Indeed so, since they're BPA AOS members:

T R Luckins Limited t/as UK Parking Solutions
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Letters are not last century, letters are the way to go, judges love letters, Ombudsmen love letters, lawyers love letters. I rarely conduct my numerous various disputes any other way but on paper, I even transcribe telephone calls, (occasionally to my advantage), and invite my opponent to accept or reject them, the written word is king.

As for Beavis, it has no bearing whatsoever and should not be mentioned. If they do, complain to the ATA and Trading Standards, by letter of course.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Yeah but no but.....emails are faster and can still be printed if you really want a paper version. It's just more hassle to print, envelope and then queue at the PO to send them. Given the last PPC I had to deal with issued 22 of these things to me in a 5 month period, I'd rather not have to go to the PO each time. Hopefully they will get the message from the 1st appeal.

Agreed the Beavis case has no bearing, but was fully expecting a skewed run down of it as their site has many statements designed to scare people into paying them.

Thank you everyone. I guess I'll have to go to the PO and send them a letter.
  • Daniel_san
    Daniel_san Posts: 232 Forumite
    I have my first rejection letter and POPLA code. This is a first for me! I've read through the newbies info and think I understand most of it, but would really appreciate any input from those willing, thank you.

I can't post attachments, so here is a dropbox link to the (redacted) rejection letter (if someone could add it that would be massively appreciated thank you): https://www.dropbox.com/s/o60kmf1s7qxe1t2/ukps-reject1-small.jpg?dl=0

To save anyone reading back through this thread, this is a car park for my apartment. My lease does not state anything about requiring a parking permit, it is free to use for residents. The vehicle was parked (not by me, of course!) NOT in a parking space, but in nobody's way. The rejection letter doesn't give this as a reason for rejection though.

The rejection letter states that a contractual agreement is in place with the landowner or his/her agent. I've requested a copy of "any and all" contracts relating to parking from the managing agents, and have been ignored, and now told they "don't have access to it at this time, having recently moved offices". I assume the landowner themselves would need to write to me in order to instigate any change in the contract to effect such terms, if that's possible at all. Could someone clarify for me please? Is it even possible for them to add such a term to my contract?

Their letter refers to me over and over as the driver. I've not given any information regarding who was driving.

They also say "the driver's use of OUR private land". The land is not theirs.

Newbies info post#3 gives this latest info
    "IN VIEW OF THE PARKINGEYE V BEAVIS FUDGMENT IN APRIL 2015, ANYONE NOW TRYING A POPLA APPEAL SHOULD ADD THIS TO THEIR POPLA APPEAL:

The charge is unconscionable and extravagant and unrelated to local Penalty Charge levels in this area. It is believed that the Supreme Court’s decision in ParkingEye v Beavis will have an impact on the outcome of this POPLA appeal. If the operator does not cancel this charge and/or if there is no other ground upon which the appeal can be determined, I ask that my appeal is adjourned pending the Beavis case."

Given the situation of this being a private car park and my lease surely prevailing, should I still add this part please?

So, not a GPEOL, lease has no requirement for a permit, no changes to that lease by the landowner, no evidence of the landowner giving permission for UKPS to operate their business on the land, car park has been free to use for over 7 years, now they add signs in an attempt to foist a contract upon me, breach of Contracts Act 1999 (they're a 3rd party and are intefering in my contract with the landowner). Anything I've missed please?

Sorry to ask all the questions, but it's really important for me to get this cancelled by POPLA, as then I can (hopefully) get them to stop issuing PCN's to me. I got all 22 issued by the previous PPC (UCS Parking) cancelled without even getting to POPLA, as they knew they had no rights on the land. Shortly after they cancelled them all, they packed up their signs and !!!!!!ed off! and then the managing agents put UKPS in place instead....

Thanks
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 27 August 2015 at 6:16PM
    They are accusing you of trespass. They would have a job to pin this on you in a court.

Have you told them of the 22 tickets you had cancelled? Have you threatened them with a Davey type action? Let the know that they have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxtXOisa0cY
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Keep on appealing the tickets using the 'lease trumps permit' argument.
    Basically, your lease allows for 'quiet enjoyment' of a parking space. There is no mention of the requirement to display a permit of any kind.

In order to change the lease, there would need to be an AGM with an agenda item regarding this. There would then need to be a vote and only if 100% of the voters agreed, the lease could be changed.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure