IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

New parking regulations at home...

Hi all, I've been reading through threads for a few days now, including the "newbies" and guides - all great info and very much appreciated.

I'm always very careful to check notices when out and about and parking up, so have avoided any charges so far, but something happened a few weeks ago which has annoyed me, although I must stress it only comes into force next week, I'm looking for a bit of specific guidance if you would be so kind please :)

From posts I've read, I gather the following info will help you to help me.
I am in England
I am over 18
The vehicle is not a lease car

I live in an apartment block, with a leasehold purchase, and have done so since it was newly built in 2007. I am allocated a single parking bay as part of my lease. Until these notices were put in place recently, there has been no parking enforcement in place in any way, just a gate to the car park, opened by a remote fob. This new parking situation has been initiated by the managing agents for the apartments, but not something I've been asked to agree to.

A few weeks ago, I came home to find the following notice on display in various locations around the car park (edit: oh, I can't post an image as I'm a new member :( )

I've read on here that I should ignore any screen ticket, wait 28 days, I should get a NTK within 56 days.

My question really is, given the above information on my specific scenario, does any of the advice I have read on here change, should I happen get a ticket on my windscreen please?

I really don't want this round sticker on my windscreen....I'm happy the tax disc is finally going bye bye in October, but now I'll have to have this NCS Parking sticker/advert on my car instead anyway!

I thank you for your time and help in advance.

Regards
Dan

Comments

• Daniel_san
    Daniel_san Posts: 232 Forumite
    This is the best I can do to show you the parking notice

srbpower.com/dandan/ucs-parking-notice.jpg
  • Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • The_Slithy_Tove
    The_Slithy_Tove Posts: 4,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 July 2014 at 4:41PM
    You say that you own the flat (rather than rent), which makes it easier. You also state that your parking space is a specific, numbered, allocated space, which effectively makes it YOUR property.

As long as your lease doesn't allow the management company to make arbitrary changes and impositions like this (unlikely, but check), you need to write to them and state:

Your parking space is yours. The management company have no authority to impose additional requirements on you around how you use that space. You do not accept any permit scheme. You will not be displaying a permit. If their agent, i.e. the PPC, come onto your property and attach any kind of ticket to your car, that will be treated as a trespass on your property and they (the management company) will be held fully responsible.

Get them to read this: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?377246-UKCPS-liable-for-trespass-

You need to nip this in the bud right away, and try to get your neighbours on board, too. Some oik from the PPC has sold them a story that they'll be fixing a problem that does not exist. All that will happen is that they'll prey on the residents and really p*** them off.

EDIT: Having just seen the sign, you can also tell the management company that no third party has the right to impose conditions about the tax status and roadworthiness of cars in the parking spaces. Ask they why they have brought in such a parasite and what kind of kickback they are getting from tickets issued.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2014 at 5:02PM
    If your lease allows you "quiet enjoyment" of your property and para 2 of Mr. Tove's post above does not apply, I would suggest that you do the following

Refuse the permit

Write to your MA telling them that you are opting out of the scheme and that they must inform the PPC that they are not to ticket your car. If they do they will be committing a trespass, and that you will hold them jointly responsible with the PPC.

Leaflet all the residents, sticker their cars, and place notices in the communal areas referring them to MSE and peppipoo.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=73598

Furthermore, they are exceeding their authority if they ticket untaxed vehicles, residents are almost always allowed to park sorned vehicles in their spaces. You could report this to the BPA as a breach of their code of practice, (14 - Misrepresentation of authority)

See what one fed up resident did to UKPC when they insisted on ticketing him in his own space.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?377246-UKPC-liable-for-trespass-**SUCCESS**

If you are up for it you can test them by removing your licence sticker at night and not displaying a permit.

You can also ask the MA for a copy of the contract and ask whether they will be receiving a commission from the PPC.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yep, wait for the Notice to Keeper then send the usual template appeal. And as far as stating clearly that they are trespassing on your car/space and that you opt out of the scheme etc., and will sue them if they issue any more fake parking tickets or even touch your car, look at the letter I suggested for tospig to write, in post #30 here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4777418

That's the sort of approach I suggest.

:)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Daniel_san
    Thanks for the quick responses!
    As long as your lease doesn't allow the management company to make arbitrary changes and impositions like this (unlikely, but check), you need to write to them and state:

I'll check the above. Just need to get my lease agreement as my solicitors have held it since purchase.
    You need to nip this in the bud right away, and try to get your neighbours on board, too. Some oik from the PPC has sold them a story that they'll be fixing a problem that does not exist. All that will happen is that they'll prey on the residents and really p*** them off.

Apparently some people have complained that cars have parked in their space.

We also have several areas without bay markings, where cars have parked, not in anyone's way at all IMO, but as there is no provision for visitor parking on site, people have used these areas for overnight guests etc, which I personally think is fine. Some flexibility without causing anyone else a problem is how I would describe it.

The second page of UCS's letter gives me a lease reference, so that helps me check exactly what it says. It says vehicles require a permit, but we've never had that, so I assume it's attempting to amend my leasehold agreement. I'll report back when I've checked the original lease.
    Here's a photo of the letter
    srbpower.com/dandan/ucs-parking-letter.jpg

Thanks for your ongoing assistance everyone!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,434 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2014 at 5:16PM
    'apparently' that's the excuse that managing agents always give for allowing these scum on site. Usually the agent gets a kickback from each ticket and the complaints are imaginary.
    Daniel_san wrote: »
    We also have several areas without bay markings, where cars have parked, not in anyone's way at all IMO, but as there is no provision for visitor parking on site, people have used these areas for overnight guests etc, which I personally think is fine.
    Of course it's fine and I doubt anyone has complained. A PPC has seized an opportunity. Don't let them get away this this at your expense and that of your visitors.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Daniel_san
    Thanks coupon-mad, I'll have a read :)

I just remembered, I have a 2nd copy of my lease which a neighbour borrowed a while ago. She's popping it back to me later today so I can look it up :)
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite

I have the same problem in one of my properties. The MA wants to appoint a PPC, (probably UKPC), but I have warned them that, should they do so, and the PPC tickets any of my or my family's, or any vehicles belonging to a tenant, I will sue them.

So far they have held off.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Daniel_san
    edited 14 July 2014 at 12:18AM
    Update:

I didn't get my lease dropped off to me so will hopefully pick it up tomorrow.

Also, I found on another thread forums.pepipoo.com/lofiversion/index.php/t78136.html that UCS Parking may be owned by Warwick Estates Property Management....the managing agents for my block! Does anyone know if this is a fact please?
    I hoped we'd moved on to better management after getting rid of Solitaire/OM - owned by Theowall, who own the building itself after buying it from Bellway about 18 months after build finish.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport