Santander sending me text messages that I cannot identify as Genuine

Comments

• 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    If everyone causes the banks grief in the way that you clearly have, by forcing them to pay a £500 charge to the FOS, then guess what? This will surely impact further on the already derisory interest rates that the banks pay.

Thank you for pointing this out. I took advice form the FO and the ICO if they thought it had no merit they would have said so so end of matter for me. This is the first text message I have had in years of being a Santander customer and was surprised to discover they had sent it.
    It would have been cheaper and easier to i enclose a request when they send the next statements.
  • 2e0arr
    edited 18 April 2018 at 6:53PM
    8i6daddy wrote: »
    To go to the extreme of contacting third parties is absolutely ridiculous. Im so pleased my mind doesnt work in this way!!! The OP must be a paranoid wreck constantly!

Does your bank regularly send you text messages please ?
    and how can you tell if they are genuine please ?

The third parties you mention have help telephone numbers to contact them on for advice. Santander should consider contacting them too for advice
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    2e0arr wrote: »
    Does your bank regularly send you text messages please ?
    and how can you tell if they are genuine please ?

The third parties you mention have help telephone numbers to contact them on for advice. Santander should consider contacting them too for advice

My bank sometimes send me text messages that I'm unsure of. So I call them up and we have a discussion about it, and usually, all is ok. What I don't want to do is to make an MGM production out of something that the bank has actually sent in the first place!
  • 2e0arr
    I have a nokia 3410 for texts that's all i need. Santander do not have my email address on my account, they have landline, homes address for letters and my mobile phone number for 3 account balance alerts and for fraud alerts. Not for admin reasons. Also why should I have to pay for the text ?
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    2e0arr wrote: »
    I have a nokia 3410 for texts that's all i need. Santander do not have my email address on my account, they have landline, homes address for letters and my mobile phone number for 3 account balance alerts and for fraud alerts. Not for admin reasons. Also why should I have to pay for the text ?

You dont have to pay for the text, if you don't reply and you either keep the statements at three months or you call into your local branch or call up to change your frequency.

I of course understand your paranoia about texts being sent from people other then the bank, but on this occasion you are just replied with a number, not much use to someone who is not the bank.

I would also review your marketing preferences as I don't want messages sent to me, so I have ticked that box (note I don't like paper or email communication either)

I think to be honest you are making a massive hoo har over something that is trying to reduce the amount of paper.

It is something many banks are doing, when I last logged onto one of my account I was told if I wanted to change to paperless and I ticked accordingly. Some banks give you an incentive if you don't have paper statements.

I am surprised that the FOS have sent a complaint to Santander as they normally ask if you have completed the banks complaint procedure before they help or get involved, and you didnt just go straight to Santander to raise this issue, (which is normal activity for a bank I must add), you have agreed and signed up for balance texts so they were questioning about statements now you have agreed to a partial mobile based service, namely the balance updates.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • 2e0arr
    edited 19 April 2018 at 7:12PM
    Westie983 wrote: »
    You dont have to pay for the text, if you don't reply and you either keep the statements at three months or you call into your local branch or call up to change your frequency.
    Westie983
    my reply will not be free it says standard SMS charges apply

I would also review your marketing preferences as I don't want messages sent to me, so I have ticked that box (note I don't like paper or email communication either)

Westie983
    well how do i know the texts are genuine when I called they were unable to check and assumed it was a Santander text but they could not confirm this..And if i was replying to a fraudster they would know my mobile number is live and active.

Westie983
    My marketing settings are for no contact already

I think to be honest you are making a massive hoo har over something that is trying to reduce the amount of paper.

Westie983
    but they offered to send statements monthly but didnts say whether by post or whatever?

[QUOTE=Westie983;74183015 It is something many banks are doing, when I last logged onto one of my account I was told if I wanted to change to paperless and I ticked accordingly. Some banks give you an incentive if you don't have paper statements.
    Westie983[/QUOTE] My other bank accounts all send me paper statements.

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
  • 2e0arr
    edited 19 April 2018 at 7:35PM
    Last night i had a call from Santander complaints. Before we discussed my complaint i had to go through security but when I asked the OP to identify in some way that they were a genuine it became difficult and the OP could not see the irony in this.

As the conversation went on it got to the stage that I said to the OP that i have lost confidence in you and unhappy with how you are handling this. The Op said they would send me a final response I said I want your supervisor or manager to call me and the OP refused to do this and said take it up with the FO. So last night I emailed the CEO of Santander (google ceo email) with my concerns.

By then it was past 5 pm so first thing today I contacted the complaints team we agreed to listen to the call with the previous OP. We set milestones for them to contact me and although he said a few days I said make it a week today.

Now my complaint included the Santander OP

However ten minutes later he called me back and said that the CEO complaints team had taken over the case. And they will be in touch.

About ten minutes later i received an email from them and ironically there was a pdf attached titled Talk to us about your complaint.pdf.

It says "Following our response to you If you don’t agree with our response after we’ve investigated your complaint, you can choose to come back to us using any of the contact routes above.", which ironic considering the OP I was complaining about LOL.

I will wait and see and I hope they listen to the call.

I decided to Contact The FO and I was told that I cannot make a seperate complaint about how case is handled but I can ask the FO to request the recording and they listen and include it in an adjudication.

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Mchambers - is that you?
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    robatwork wrote: »
    Mchambers - is that you?

Whoever it is there are some serious issues going on :rotfl:
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    My bank sometimes send me text messages that I'm unsure of. So I call them up and we have a discussion about it, and usually, all is ok. What I don't want to do is to make an MGM production out of something that the bank has actually sent in the first place!

Exactly and I would do the same, a simple 5 minute phone call woild sort it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure