PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Fuddle, I agree everything always looks better when it warms up and the sun shines.
    The potatoes, peas and onions are growing well.
    Only planted the beetroot and carrots a few days ago.
    Tomatoes, leeks, beans and other seeds are doing well, hopefully they can go out in a few weeks. Even got a couple of tiny lemons on the tree, kept inside until it warms up a bit more.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hester - welcome to the wonderful life on water! If it goes on a boat the price seems to double! I've found acceptable or similar items in caravan shops to be cheaper on occasions.
    Well done to CHS for the doggy rescue - DH did something similar for an elderly overweight dog who didn't make the jump from boat to pontoon and got stuck under the pontoon. His owner was getting a bit hysterical so DH hauled him out - cue a soaked DH who hadn't bothered with a change of clothes - no good deed goes unpunished!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    mmm! Apart from the inevitable ferries I think I will settle for staying on terra firma after hearing Hester's and Silva's stories. I recall that old friends of mine - the ones who named their boat Ridiculous Extravagance - used to refer to chandleries and they like as GUAGs. Give Us A Grand.

Silver-oldie, you are in a difficult place with an awful decision to make. It seems as though your DM is still well able to make her own wishes known, in which case I don't understand why the PTB are coming to you to make the decision. If she is, in fact, confused then I suppose it comes down to weighing up quality of life against quantity. It's a lesson to us all to make these decisions in advance for ourselves, while we are still able to.
    Good luck with the lemon tree, I've never been able to keep one. Due, no doubt, to my slapdash gardening methods.

It was bright sunshine when I got up this morning, but it's a bit overcast now. Still, no rain forecast so may take the scenic route to the shop today. It has been far too muddy and puddley for a long time now.

Nothing urgent planned for today so will do a bit more sorting out and write a long overdue letter.

Hope all is well with everyone.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

If you want to feel rich just count all the things you have that money can't buy.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Monna - feeling very rich! Just walked down the garden and we've got TWO nests under the eaves of our garden shed! DH put a little shelf across underneath the timbers where the roof extends to form an overhang as its somewhere where any cats cant get to. Think its a blackbird - or maybe she's made two nests so she can decide which she prefers!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Perhaps it's her weekend cottage. Or the beginning of her portfolio and she will rent it out. Or its a granny annexe for her in-laws. Keep us posted Silvasava.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hmm, having worked like a trojan over the past few weeks, I seem to be having an attack of the CBAs today :o I may admit defeat and clean the house.....:eek:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    VJsmum wrote: »
    Hmm, having worked like a trojan over the past few weeks, I seem to be having an attack of the CBAs today :o I may admit defeat and clean the house.....:eek:

Eh? CBA does not equal clean the house!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    That's what I thought too. You just click on YouTube one more time, read another chapter of a book or fall asleep on the sofa.
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Brr...it is chilly here. I can't wait for the sun tomorrow. I might need a cocoa to get me through the rest of the work day. Strictly to help me focus, you see.:A

VJsmum--having survived a PhD I can commiserate about cleaning the house being an excellent CBA activity. Baking and making just one more hot drink before you get started are also perfectly acceptable.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Not planted a thing yet up here, even tatties don't go in until mid May.
    Hellish wind today, got blown all over the place on way to the bus stop, then the bus got blown all over the road on the moor, And same again on the way home. Edinburgh was sunny and breezy - home was raining and a howling force 10 :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback