prescription charges annual certificate

Options

Comments

• EMcG
    EMcG Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just wanted to say a BIG thank you to this site and its users for highlighting this scheme.  

My wife is very ill but unable to claim benefits so prescription charges were crippling us (doctors keep prescribing medication and then changing it).  

I called up the helpline (0845 850 0030) and bought a 4 month prepayment cert. for £32.90 (you can also buy 12 months for £90.40) by debit card.  

You can also backdate the cert. for up to a month so you can claim back for any prescriptions within the last month that you have paid for already. (I should point out that to do this you will need an NHS reciept - big brown form - which the chemist will give you if asked) - you then take this with your Prepayment Cert. to the Post Office for a refund.

The price of the Prepayment Cert. rises each April so get in there quick.

Remember this certificate is available to everyone.

Martin, perhaps this great moneysaving scheme should be flagged up in your email or perhaps on a TV/Radio slot?
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have put it in the email before - but will do so again - it's been a while :)

As for your PS - hope you donty mind i deleted it - there are some things i want to keep secret for the moment (i think you'll understand what i mean) :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My wife is very ill but unable to claim benefits

EMcG - You say that your wife is very ill and cannot claim benefits. Is she claiming Disability Living Allowance? This benefit is not means tested so is not decided on your income(s). If she has had the condition for three months and expects it will last for the next six months she may be entitled. You can get help filling in the form at your local Citizens Advice Bureau (some will do a home visit if she is unable to get to a bureau). It is best to get the form filled in with an experienced person as it takes a while to fill in.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Prescriptions going up - I think in April, it usually is - so if you're buying an annual certificate get in before the price hike!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you also know that you can get a whole course of nicotine patches (which consists of about 8 weeks worth or more) on one prescription for £6.30.

They usually retail for about £18.99 for one weeks worth.

And they definitely helped me!
  • System
    Options
    I think some of the respondents to this subject should re-consider where they obtain their prescriptions from. The staff within the company for whom I work, a multiple pharmacy group in Lincolnshire, always recommend the purchase of pre-payment certificates where there is an obvious cost saving to the patient. There is no benefit to pharmacies in not recommending purchase of a certificate as all prescription levies collected go directly to the government anyway. It would appear that those who missed out simply went to the wrong pharmacy where patient care was not high on the agenda.
  • System
    Options
    I agree completely with Alistair. Some of you should definately change your pharmacy to one that actually has a high standard of patient care.

I work as a dispenser in a pharmacy and just want to say that i always try to tell my customers about any benefits i can. I always tell them about pre-payment certificates. i also always tell people if they can buy their medicine without a prescription.

Pregnant women also get free prescriptions until their child's first birthday.

I have just had a baby and as a result of the birth i am now taking 4 different medicines so i can appreciate that it is very expensive to pay when you are on regular medication. However I also want to point out that it isn't as bad as a lot of people think. Some drugs are extremely expensive. I wasn't was prescribed medications for shingles and a weeks course cost over £100, I paid just £6ish (can't remember exactly how much prescriptions were then.)

Another way to save money (sometimes) is to get the medications on private prescriptions (if your doctor will agree). Things like amoxicillin do work out cheaper. However pharmacy do have a mark up and the large chain that i work for will charge £4 as a minimum, regardless of how much the drug costs.
  • System
    Options
    You can also backdate the cert. for up to a month so you can claim back for any prescriptions within the last month that you have paid for already. (I should point out that to do this you will need an NHS reciept - big brown form - which the chemist will give you if asked) - you then take this with your Prepayment Cert. to the Post Office for a refund.

This obviously varies by Health Authority - in BroTaf (Cardiff area), you can only backdate by 7 days and they must RECEIVE your application within 7 days of the date you put your prescription in to the chemist's.

I strongly support using the 4 month card and being sure to get your last prescription in close to the expiry date. Also see if you are getting 30 days' worth of some tablets and only 28 of others - ask your GP if you can synchronise. 28 has its advantages if you can reorder on the same weekday every time - you won't find yourself running out on half day closing day or weekends.
  • System
    Options
    As Alistair and Plumpmouse said, most pharmacies I've ever visited have a) checked whether I have a pre-payment certificate and b) if the item is cheaper to buy than pay the prescription charge they have issued it that way (and yes, this includes busy city-centre branches of big chains).

Also, do people not look at the back of their prescriptions?

Part 1, Box F asks whether you have a valid prescription pre-payment certificate.

... or the back of the counterfoil on computerised repeat prescriptions (which most Practices have been using for seceral years), where there is information about the pre-payment certificates.

I'm fairly sure my surgery waiting-room has a poster up as well ...

Maybe the more general lessons that apply to all money-saving are keep your eyes open, and shop around!
  • nomadic_2
    Options
    Well to add my 2p worth.... My Asthma nurse offeres me a private prescription for "Ventolin" as it was cheaper than the normal prescription price by about 20-30p, not much I know but it's the principle!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure