PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

landlord bashing

Options

Comments

• rentmekid
    rentmekid Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    excellent views and comments. Thank you all
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    BTL (Sometimes known as Borrow To Leech) creates it's own demand... every property taken off the market by a landlord denies someone from buying that property as an owner occupier.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Tiners wrote: »
    BTL (Sometimes known as Borrow To Leech) creates it's own demand... every property taken off the market by a landlord denies someone from buying that property as an owner occupier.

That's not how it works, so I assume that's just an opinion?....
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tiners wrote: »
    OK, and if there was no demand for buying that property from owner-occupiers?
  • LadyL2013
    LadyL2013 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have no issue with good landlords that are buying properties that FTB can't otherwise afford or doing up dilapidated properties.

My issue comes with cash buyers competing against FTB's on houses that are well within their budget. An FTB only has a finite budget compared to many cash buyers and so in my and many people I knows experience, they lose out all the time to investors who can top even a very high offer from FTB. This means they then rent them out at a higher cost to people like FTB and it inflates the bottom of the property ladder and you can never get on it.

You only have to go on Rightmove to see even a 1 bed property is very expensive, but a 2 or 3 bed isn't really that much more than a 1 bed.

Personally, I'd like to see a law change that prohibits BTL from buying starter homes.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    LadyL2013 wrote: »
    My issue comes with cash buyers competing against FTB's on houses that are well within their budget. An FTB only has a finite budget compared to many cash buyers and so in my and many people I knows experience, they lose out all the time to investors who can top even a very high offer from FTB. This means they then rent them out at a higher cost to people like FTB and it inflates the bottom of the property ladder and you can never get on it.

Owner-occupiers can afford to pay more than sensible landlords, because they don't have the cap of having to return a realistic yield after costs, tax etc - many of which hit smaller properties disproportionately hard. A gas safety check costs the same for a four-bed house as a 1-bed flat, for example.
    Personally, I'd like to see a law change that prohibits BTL from buying starter homes.
    Which, of course, would then mean no studio, 1-bed, 2-bed "starter" private rentals...
  • LadyL2013
    LadyL2013 Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Owner-occupiers can afford to pay more than sensible landlords, because they don't have the cap of having to return a realistic yield after costs, tax etc - many of which hit smaller properties disproportionately hard. A gas safety check costs the same for a four-bed house as a 1-bed flat, for example.

Which, of course, would then mean no studio, 1-bed, 2-bed "starter" private rentals...

The problem is way too many people seeing starter homes a san easy way to make money without thinking it through. The market encourages it.

I see your point. Perhaps then the system should be FTB gets priority over a cash buyer then, presuming the FTB offer is at or above asking price. Ultimately something has to be done. Anyone who has been an FTB recently will tell you it is nigh on impossible to compete with cash buyers. It is then incredibly frustrating to see a house you could afford and offered over the asking pride for being let out for double what a mortgage payment would have been. You don't mind losing out to another FTB, at least they're getting they're own home, it stings to lose out to somebody whose not even going to live in it.
  • Guest101
    Options
    The problem is way too many people seeing starter homes a san easy way to make money without thinking it through. The market encourages it.

I see your point. Perhaps then the system should be FTB gets priority over a cash buyer then, presuming the FTB offer is at or above asking price. Ultimately something has to be done. Anyone who has been an FTB recently will tell you it is nigh on impossible to compete with cash buyers. It is then incredibly frustrating to see a house you could afford and offered over the asking pride for being let out for double what a mortgage payment would have been. You don't mind losing out to another FTB, at least they're getting they're own home, it stings to lose out to somebody whose not even going to live in it.

Hold on you want to regulate who can buy property? You see nothing wrong with that?...
  • AdrianC
    edited 13 June 2017 at 5:06PM
    Options
    I see your point. Perhaps then the system should be FTB gets priority over a cash buyer then, presuming the FTB offer is at or above asking price.

Who gets to decide on when that priority is outweighed, then?
    Ultimately something has to be done.
    ...and this is something, therefore this has to be done!
    Anyone who has been an FTB recently will tell you it is nigh on impossible to compete with cash buyers.
    Cash buyers, or landlords? Don't confuse the two. The BtL buyers you're complaining about are usually highly geared, not cash buyers.
    It is then incredibly frustrating to see a house you could afford and offered over the asking pride for being let out for double what a mortgage payment would have been.
    ...the numbers don't work anywhere NEAR that simply...

Let's take an example of a £100k property.
    MSE best buy mortgage is 2.45% for 90% LTV. That's £402/mo repayment, using the MSE mortgage calculator.

Are you telling me that a £100k flat would rent for £800/mo? That'd be a damn near 10% raw yield. No... Not realistic at all...

I could point you to a very nice 2-bed modern flat in the centre of my local city at £112,500, with service charge/ground rent/management/sinking fund payment slightly north of £110/mo. The rent on it would be around £550/mo. So that's around £440/mo in the landlord's pocket, before other costs and tax - a yield of around 4.7%. Mortgage repayments on that flat would be £448/mo, so £560ish after the service charge. And that flat has been for sale since SEPTEMBER 2015... Simply, it's overpriced. That service charge doesn't help one bit.
  • Guest101
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Who gets to decide on when that priority is outweighed, then?

...and this is something, therefore this has to be done!

Cash buyers, or landlords? Don't confuse the two. The BtL buyers you're complaining about are usually highly geared, not cash buyers.

...the numbers don't work anywhere NEAR that simply...

Let's take an example of a £100k property.
    MSE best buy mortgage is 2.45% for 90% LTV. That's £402/mo repayment, using the MSE mortgage calculator.

Are you telling me that a £100k flat would rent for £800/mo? That'd be a damn near 10% raw yield. No... Not realistic at all...

Bravo! - I cant believe someone would actually suggest that. - and then when it came to selling their property they'd be back on here complaining.

"I have a cash buyer offering more, but have to accept the lower offer of the FTB HELP!!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure