Moving radiators in house with concrete floors

My son is about to move into former council house, circa 1920s, with concrete floors. I have not yet been inside, (he gets keys next week) but looked through window and ch pipes are on outside of wall, neatly installed. He wants to move one rad initially to opposite wall. What is recommended way of doing this?

Comments

• ST1991
    ST1991 Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The pipes will most likely run beneath the floorboards upstairs, so should be able to be moved by removing the floorboards and redirecting them to exit against a different wall downstairs.

Although, i'm not sure how much that would cost, it is do-able.
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,003 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Or, if the ceiling in the room is coming down, they could be re-routed that way. I've just had mine done in the kitchen, but the ceiling was coming down anyway.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Rad to be moved is in the front room downstairs opposite the window. Want to relocate rad under the window in order to put bookshelves on the wall where rad is now. No plans to do any other structural work in the room.
  • Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    My house has concrete floors.

Really you need to get in the house and see where all the pipework is.

My radiator under the window in the living room is fed from pipes in my hallway. These go through the wall near the door and it then goes along one wall and then onto the next wall where the window is. All boxed in with skirting a bit deeper than usual. If there is a radiator in the hallway you might be able to do this.

Other option is as mentioned below, reroute pipes under upstairs floor to run down. These will need boxing in.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 12:38AM
    Probably a bad idea efficiency wise.

Sometimes there is no other choice but radiators under windows mean a lot of the heat will go out the window.

Last house had 2 not under windows. This one has just 2 under. it is much cheaper to heat.

Just a thought.
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Carrot007 wrote: »

Sometimes there is no other choice but radiators under windows mean a lot of the heat will go out the window.

Last house had 2 not under windows. This one has just 2 under. it is much cheaper to heat.

Just a thought.

I always thought the convention was to purposely locate radiators under windows to stop a cold draught being caused as the window cools the air next to it.

https://www.first-utility.com/the-utility-room/energy-uncovered/radiators-under-windows
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    I always thought the convention was to purposely locate radiators under windows to stop a cold draught being caused as the window cools the air next to it.

https://www.first-utility.com/the-utility-room/energy-uncovered/radiators-under-windows

Yes you are right, heating should always be placed underneath or close as possible to windows. Heat rises and cold air falls therefore the two mix at the window and the air is temperate.
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Carrot007 wrote: »

Just a thought.
    Rubbish - radiators are actually about 70% convective and 30% radiation despite the name, so a position under the window is the preferred option efficiency and heat distribution wise.

Your current house may be cheaper to run but it's not because of this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure