PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Missing planning permission

Options

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 May 2017 at 10:42PM
    Options
    Detached garages are classed as outbuildings and usually fall under Permitted Development rights.

This is the guidance. You should be able to establish whether it is PD from it:
    https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

But as everyone else says, enforcement cannot be taken after 4 years (unless in a designated area) even if did need PP at the time. Unless it's a listed building or suchlike, this is likely to be a non-issue.

A covenant in the deeds is totally unrelated to obtaining planning permission. The planning office do not care what is in a covenant - that is your own issue to deal with. Different indemnities are available for covenants. Covenants can only be enforced by the party named in the deeds. What is the liklihood of the owner of your covenant coming out of the woodwork - and are you sure it covers garages? Older ones usually only cover additional dwellings. Is it a Barratt type estate?
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • slightlychilled
    Options
    A covenant in the deeds is totally unrelated to obtaining planning permission. The planning office do not care what is in a covenant - that is your own issue to deal with. Different indemnities are available for covenants. Covenants can only be enforced by the party named in the deeds. What is the liklihood of the owner of your covenant coming out of the woodwork - and are you sure it covers garages? Older ones usually only cover additional dwellings. Is it a Barratt type estate?

I'm lost, if the covenant states that planning permission must be obtained for any outbuildings how can that be unrelated ? The owner of the covenant is the council and no, it's not a Barratt estate.
    Anyway seems everyone is agreed that the 4 year cut-off has passed and the garage is OK.

Thanks to all who contributed useful advice.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I'm lost, if the covenant states that planning permission must be obtained for any outbuildings how can that be unrelated ? The owner of the covenant is the council and no, it's not a Barratt estate.
    Anyway seems everyone is agreed that the 4 year cut-off has passed and the garage is OK.

Thanks to all who contributed useful advice.

You could interpret that as needing planning permission 'if it needs' planning permission. PD is itself a form of planning permission afforded to most houses.

You can't force the council to give you something you don't need. I could have a covenant saying that I have to live in my house with George Clooney but it doesn't mean he has to agree with it. :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • slightlychilled
    Options
    I just don't want this subject to be ever mentioned again if or when I sell the house, I want to put it to bed now. I'm thinking along the lines of suggesting to my solicitor that my seller takes indemnity insurance as a temporary measure to meet the exchange deadlines, with the proviso the garage is added to all legal documents asap at his cost. How does that sound ?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm thinking along the lines of suggesting to my solicitor that my seller takes indemnity insurance as a temporary measure to meet the exchange deadlines, with the proviso the garage is added to all legal documents asap at his cost.
    What do you mean by "added to all legal documents"?
  • slightlychilled
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    What do you mean by "added to all legal documents"?

If only I knew. I didn't expect to have to be chasing stuff I assumed my solicitor would do. I have a pile of papers, land registry, various searches etc etc and none of them have the garage marked or mentioned on any plans or drawings. I think it should be there as other houses in the vicinity have outbuildings and such marked on the plans and diagrams.
  • davidmcn
    Options
    If only I knew. I didn't expect to have to be chasing stuff I assumed my solicitor would do. I have a pile of papers, land registry, various searches etc etc and none of them have the garage marked or mentioned on any plans or drawings. I think it should be there as other houses in the vicinity have outbuildings and such marked on the plans and diagrams.
    You own the land, whatever is built on it. Whether the plans show that the Ordnance Survey have updated all outbuildings etc doesn't make any difference from a legal point of view, what matters is whether the outline shows the correct boundaries of the land.
  • slightlychilled
    Options
    You own the land, whatever is built on it. Whether the plans show that the Ordnance Survey have updated all outbuildings etc doesn't make any difference from a legal point of view, what matters is whether the outline shows the correct boundaries of the land.

Hmm.... I find it extraordinary that council planning offices don't have accurate details of structures on any land. I would have thought it could make a huge difference to future planning permissions. Forgive my ignorance but does this mean that all buildings erected under "permitted development" are not documented anywhere ?
  • davidmcn
    Options
    Hmm.... I find it extraordinary that council planning offices don't have accurate details of structures on any land. I would have thought it could make a huge difference to future planning permissions. Forgive my ignorance but does this mean that all buildings erected under "permitted development" are not documented anywhere ?
    The whole point of permitted development is that you don't need to contact the planners to ask for permission. So no, they're not likely to have details of things erected under permitted development, or even of things erected which should have had planning consent but didn't apply for it.
  • slightlychilled
    Options
    The whole point of permitted development is that you don't need to contact the planners to ask for permission. So no, they're not likely to have details of things erected under permitted development, or even of things erected which should have had planning consent but didn't apply for it.

I guess my concerns are unfounded and I'll just leave it to the solicitor to do as she sees fit. I can't help feeling uneasy, I feel as though I'm buying something that has no legal right to be sold to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure