Breaking Through, Travelling On

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I like everything about it.
    Always wanted to live in a bungalow when I was wee and am lucky enough to be able to do so.
    No stairs. Easy access to the facilities, reasonably easy to keep. Reasonably easy to heat.
    Love love love it.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    KC, are you actually drawing any pension money yet? If so, remember that you can still pay in £2880 into a pension which will be grossed up to £3600. A free £720/year for your £25k target? The suggestion does assume that a) you have a spare £2880 a year and b) that you will be able to structure your withdrawals at the other end to avoid paying tax...

Also, sure you've said, but do you have max qualifying years for state pension?
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Ooh, Beanie, tell me! I have two strikes against bungalows ... one is that since there are more spiders downstairs, a bungalow will have more spiders :o:o:o sorry, my ex-phobia is showing :cool:

That's strange, most of my spiders are upstairs. Sounds like you have lazy ones which don't like to climb...
    and the other is that in a flood, there's no upstairs to retreat to - my mum is on the edge of a flood area (50 yards away!) and if she was in a bungalow, I'd be really, really worried.

That only applies if you live somewhere really flat at the bottom of a river valley. I have bungalows opposite me. They're not going to flood...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    beanielou wrote: »
    I like everything about it.
    Always wanted to live in a bungalow when I was wee and am lucky enough to be able to do so.
    No stairs. Easy access to the facilities, reasonably easy to keep. Reasonably easy to heat.
    Love love love it.
    Aw! I'm really glad you got one then :):):) thats lovely.
    KC, are you actually drawing any pension money yet? If so, remember that you can still pay in £2880 into a pension which will be grossed up to £3600. A free £720/year for your £25k target? The suggestion does assume that a) you have a spare £2880 a year and b) that you will be able to structure your withdrawals at the other end to avoid paying tax...
    I'm not drawing pension, thats true. And I have funds on tap I can use to pay in the £2880, hurray. I'm sure I can structure my withdrawals to avoid tax - I don't know the details at the moment, pension rules seem to change so often I haven't faffed about with it much, but I'd bet a large sum of money on it :D Thanks for reminding me of that :)
    Also, sure you've said, but do you have max qualifying years for state pension?
    Yes I do, Ed, thanks https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/eligibility I checked here again just in case. 30 years - I've been working from when I was 22 to now, age 61. I had two years when I didn't work for 3 months, both of them by choice (I was pootling around doing fun stuff :D) but I was still paying NI anyway.
    ZTD wrote: »
    That's strange, most of my spiders are upstairs. Sounds like you have lazy ones which don't like to climb...
    :eek: Some come down from the loft hatch, it's true ... I'm not going to think about your statement, la-la-la-la- ... can't hear you.
    That only applies if you live somewhere really flat at the bottom of a river valley. I have bungalows opposite me. They're not going to flood...
    In my little town, the pensioners' bungalows are sort of jutting into the edges of the flood plain of the local stream, which is a healthy little beggar that rises by ten feet or so when there's been heavy rain. I haven't seen it overflow its banks yet, but that stuff happens, quite near me http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sussex/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8330000/8330270.stm

I wouldn't live there, and ... dunno, I suppose I'm the opposite of Beanie, I just don't fancy bungalows. I wouldn't want a ground floor flat, either, just my choice really.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    This isn't a list for today, or even for this week - but I do want to take these five steps by the end of the month. Will be printing out this post.

1 Leeds Building Society and Virgin Money both pay good percentages on Regular Savers.

2 Nationwide and TSB ditto on current accounts, if you pay in regularly. Like Goldie has, you could set up standing orders to push the same money around, for no extra cost.

3 TalkTalk: I get unlimited broadband and unlimited landline phone calls from them, they sent me a letter about beating their price rises and its in Martin's weekly email too. Take action!

4 unlocking mobile phone, I have EE and I could save a little bit by going to giffgaff as MvM did. Check how to unlock, alternatively check whether the unlocking charges have disappeared.

5 as per previous post, pay in £2880 to pension. Transfer that pension fund into cash, leave the others as shares etc.
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    :eek: Some come down from the loft hatch, it's true ...

Do you not close your loft hatch? I saw one in the bathroom the other week. I have the window locked ajar there for ventilation. Wowsers - it must have had to sucked its chest in to make it through the gap...
    In my little town, the pensioners' bungalows are sort of jutting into the edges of the flood plain of the local stream, which is a healthy little beggar that rises by ten feet or so when there's been heavy rain. I haven't seen it overflow its banks yet, but that stuff happens, quite near me http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sussex/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8330000/8330270.stm

I wouldn't live there,

I wouldn't live on a flood plain full-stop. If you need somewhere flat, there's plenty towns built on the top of a hill.
    1 Leeds Building Society and Virgin Money both pay good percentages on Regular Savers.

Be aware that although most regular savers are limited to a year, the Leeds one is not. That means you can get that interest rate on two, three, etc years savings. However, it does come in "editions" - once this edition stops, you have to start from scratch in the next edition.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!

I met the mother in the noisy-neighbour house too. Thing is, they're not *really* that noisy: somebody plays a radio very late and very early, yes, but its nearly always very quiet (they have the windows open, and you can't hear it on the street, it doesn't blast out). I've come to the conclusion that the soundproofing between the houses is extremely poor - I can hear a normal cough next door, if I'm sitting reading, for instance. They never hear me, because even when I'm being quiet, they still have the three dogs :p
    I'd caution against a detached house, noise wise. If you're a semi, or terraced, and you hear noises at night it must be the neighbours. If you're in a detached house and you hear noises then it MUST be the mad axe-murderer coming to get you. No other option :(. Or is it just me that thinks that :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Karmacat
    ZTD wrote: »
    Do you not close your loft hatch? I saw one in the bathroom the other week. I have the window locked ajar there for ventilation. Wowsers - it must have had to sucked its chest in to make it through the gap...
    Yes, but its one of the many bodges in this house ...
    I wouldn't live on a flood plain full-stop. If you need somewhere flat, there's plenty towns built on the top of a hill.
    Well, thats true. I think the last word on the subject might be that I don't really want to live in a bungalow anywhere, I just don't fancy it. Sorry Beanie!
    gallygirl wrote: »
    I'd caution against a detached house, noise wise. If you're a semi, or terraced, and you hear noises at night it must be the neighbours. If you're in a detached house and you hear noises then it MUST be the mad axe-murderer coming to get you. No other option :(. Or is it just me that thinks that :rotfl:.
    You had me going there :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Been writing and backing up. Rain has stopped, sunshine is here, I'm off out :j
    Save
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I need to get back into backing up, but updates for Windows 10 seems to have killed my (almost new!) external drive. Giving some thought to swapping my mahoosive laptop out anyway, will probably switch to a fancypants network-attached storage solution that backs up a much more modest laptop (in terms of spec and dimensions). Mrs E's brief is that any replacement has to fit into a small drawer (kitchen drawer, that sort of thing).
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Don't apologise Karmcat.
    To each their own & we are all different :grin:
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure