edf battery offer

Options

Comments

• Reed_Richards
    Options
    Baalmaiden wrote: »
    We were lucky to just get our system put in before the FIT was reduced and are very happy with it. It has paid for itself by now so in some ways I am reluctant to change a system unless it offers a real advantage.
    It comes down to the relative cost of the electricity you export versus the electricity you import. If it costs you more to import than to export then you have the potential to benefit from a battery. But if you got in early enough then I think you will be paid more for your exported electricity than it costs you to import it so a battery would be counterproductive.
    Reed
  • Hexane
    Hexane Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It comes down to the relative cost of the electricity you export versus the electricity you import. If it costs you more to import than to export then you have the potential to benefit from a battery. But if you got in early enough then I think you will be paid more for your exported electricity than it costs you to import it so a battery would be counterproductive
    Not sure this is right - the large income from FiT for early adopters was for generation, not export. So reducing export would not make a difference to it. Or were there super-high rates for export back then as well, in addition to the super-high FiT rates for generation?
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,763 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hexane wrote: »
    Not sure this is right - the large income from FiT for early adopters was for generation, not export. So reducing export would not make a difference to it. Or were there super-high rates for export back then as well, in addition to the super-high FiT rates for generation?

Early adopters (installs prior to 31/7/12) get 3.82p/kWh for export, whilst those with install dates from 1/8/12 onwards, get 5.38p/kWh.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • warrenb
    warrenb Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 August 2019 at 4:52PM
    Options
    Only place I can put this is in the loft, but I see this not advised. So this would be an issue for me. If they are happy to put it in the loft I would bite their hand off.
    Living in supposedly sunny Kent
    14*285 JA Solar Percium Panels
    Solis 4kw inverter
    ESE facing with a 40 degree slope
  • Zarch
    Zarch Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hexane wrote: »
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Early adopters (installs prior to 31/7/12) get 3.82p/kWh for export, whilst those with install dates from 1/8/12 onwards, get 5.38p/kWh.

Yep and yep.........

I know I go on about Octopus a lot!!! :D

But an option for early adopters on the old 3.82p could be to move their export to Octopus and get 5.5p per unit. (leave their generation FIT where it is)

Although I doubt early adopters care too much about 1.5p extra per exported unit when they are rolling in huge sums of generation payments!! :rotfl:
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kW) on a 3.68kW SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    12kW Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Zarch wrote: »
    I know I go on about Octopus a lot!!!

I think you're well ahead of the game here, so as far as I'm concerned keep going on. We're at the stage now where huge numbers of households have smart meters and I think it's only a matter of time where these time of use tarriffs become the norm, significantly changing the economics of green investments like solar panels and batteries.
  • warrenb
    warrenb Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have more chance of getting a Time of Use (TOU) tariff if you are not on a smart meter unless it is with your current supplier. The issue being that nearly all smart meters installed at present are SMET1 which are non transferable as a smart meter to a new provider. New providers will not swap it for one of their smart meters as it doesn't go toward their target for smart meter installation.

So the bizarre fact is, if you don't have a smart meter installed and want a TOU tariff, the world is your oyster, if you do have one and want a tariff that is not with the installing provider, then hard luck.
    Living in supposedly sunny Kent
    14*285 JA Solar Percium Panels
    Solis 4kw inverter
    ESE facing with a 40 degree slope
  • Solarchaser
    Solarchaser Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Keep going Zarch, I agree with Mmmmikey. keeping us informed is great.

When I switch to octopus.... which will be in the next month or two, I will of course be using your link, you are doing us a great service here.

The octopus website states that if you have smart meter other than what they can read, they will change it to enable time of use tariffs.
    West central Scotland
    4kw sse since 2014 and 6.6kw wsw / ene split since 2019
    24kwh leaf, 75Kwh Tesla and Lux 3600 with 60Kwh storage
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,169 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 August 2019 at 8:49AM
    Options
    warrenb wrote: »
    Only place I can put this is in the loft, but I see this not advised.
    I have my battery [not the EDF battery] in the loft and was not advised against this. I suppose a concern might be that lofts can get very hot and this would be bad for the battery; otherwise i cannot envisage any problem. A fair area of my roof is shaded by the solar panels so that may help keep the temperature down.
    Reed
  • Zarch
    Zarch Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Keep going Zarch, I agree with Mmmmikey. keeping us informed is great.

When I switch to octopus.... which will be in the next month or two, I will of course be using your link, you are doing us a great service here.

The octopus website states that if you have smart meter other than what they can read, they will change it to enable time of use tariffs.

Thank you! :j

Correct. I had an EDF smart meter which Octopus couldn't use so they came and put their own in.

Its all a bit daft really...... hopefully SMETS2 will sort all this out. But that is not without its challenges as Octopus CEO regularly blogs about.

https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-the-innovators-challenge/

https://octopus.energy/blog/unblocking-second-generation-smart-meters/

Simplest way I can describe the difference between SMETS1 and SMETS2 is

SMETS1 - data goes directly over the air to provider
    SMETS2 - data goes over the air to central repository before passing on to the supplier.

So all that needs to happen when you change supplier in SMETS2 is that the end data goes somewhere else.

And why SMETS1 is a 1:1 relationship with your provider.

But to make things more complicated, it appears that the implementation of SMETS2 is different in the south as it is in the north and use different central hubs.

In the south I was told that SMETS2 continue to use mobile/cellular connections as per SMETS1..... whereas in the north they are using some form of radio and each SMETS2 is in effect a piggy back for other SMETS2...... so forming some sort of mesh network.

I got all this from the engineer and the CEO of the install company that I had the pleasure of talking to. :D
    17 x 300W panels (5.1kW) on a 3.68kW SolarEdge system in Sunny Sheffield.
    12kW Pylontech battery storage system with Lux AC controller
    Creator of the Energy Stats UK website and @energystatsuk Twitter Feed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family