Interest details on HMRC Personal Tax Account. Updated to include how to access interest details.

RG2015
RG2015 Posts: 5,816
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
Forumite
edited 2 October 2019 at 4:27PM in Savings & investments
In the last week HMRC have added full details of my interest received in my online personal tax account. Previously they had just shown the one figure that I had reported to them as my total untaxed interest income for the 2017/18 tax year.

This amount has shown for a few months as the estimate for 2018/19 and is now showing the individual details for 11 of my savings accounts. Only one bank is missing and the amount for this one is a balancing figure to get back to my annual amount rounded down to the nearest pound.

Clearly my banks have reported my interest received to HMRC and with the one exception noted above every account is correct to the penny. Just for information the missing bank is Virgin Money and the figure for this bank and the rounding is classified as follows which incidentally is the narrative that was previously used for the single total figure.

DUMMY ACCOUNT
****$$$$
00-00-00

After hearing accounts of HMRC reporting incorrect figures I am pleasantly surprised to find that their figures are 100% accurate for 11 of my 12 accounts.

Edited to give details of how to access interest received details within the HMRC personal tax account online as requested by veryIntrigued on Sunday 24th February 2019.

The personal tax account can be accessed via the Government Gateway or the Gov.uk Verify portals as per the link below.

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account

Once in click on the PAYE block and then click on check current tax year. You should then see a heading for your income from other sources with a sub section for untaxed interest income with a single figure. Below this is a link to view details. Click here and you will see a page with information on interest earned from your accounts.

Finally, at the foot of this page there is a link to check your account details and estimated interest.

Here is where I can see every savings account with individual amounts earned in the previous tax year, in this case 2017/2018.

Good luck, and if HMRC have not received and information from the banks I assume that these options will not be there for you.

NEW LINK INSERTED 02/10/2019

As per posts #340 and #341 I have added the link to access the interest details. The interest page will only become active after you have signed into your personal tax account.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income/bank-building-society-savings

Comments

• Me too :-)
    Did you receive an email saying "Your income tax estimate has changed"
    "It is not the critic who counts..." - Theodore Roosevelt
  • RG2015
    Forumite
    Me too :-)
    Did you receive an email saying "Your income tax estimate has changed"
    No, although my income tax estimate hasn’t changed as the total untaxed income estimate has remained the same.

There has however been a note on my personal tax account online for the last 2 or 3 months that my 2018/19 tax code has changed from 1304M to 1304M. I just ignored that one. :)
  • drlabman
    drlabman Posts: 305
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just curious. When I log in to my PTA, all I can see is my NI contribution history and state pension forecast (and some benefits stuff that doesn't apply to me). I was hoping it would at least have records of tax paid but I see nothing. Also no record of savings interest. Am I missing something? Where are you folks seeing this?

BTW, I'm sort of early-retired (within the last year) so wasn't expecting to see a tax code or anything like that.
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and you’ll get rid of him every weekend.
  • RG2015
    Forumite
    drlabman wrote: »
    Just curious. When I log in to my PTA, all I can see is my NI contribution history and state pension forecast (and some benefits stuff that doesn't apply to me). I was hoping it would at least have records of tax paid but I see nothing. Also no record of savings interest. Am I missing something? Where are you folks seeing this?

BTW, I'm sort of early-retired (within the last year) so wasn't expecting to see a tax code or anything like that.
    Once I am logged in there are seven sections that I can choose from; PAYE, Self Assessment, National Insurance, State Pension, Tax Credits, Child Benefit and Marriage Allowance.

All of my tax payments and allowances are in the PAYE section. Curiously, the self assessment section appears if I log in via Government Gateway but not when I log in via Govt Verify. I have not had any self assessment requirements for about 15 years.

If you pay tax via PAYE, I would expect your tax payment records and tax code to be shown on your PTA. It may be that they are in the process of updating your file. A phone call or letter may clear this up. If you write to them they show the progress of your enquiry in the Check progress link at the top of the home page.
  • drlabman
    Forumite
    When I log in I see Income (within which is only my NI history), the 3 benefits, and the Pension forecast.

I had to submit a SA in about 2010, but I've been PAYE since then - up until I stopped working last March. I see none of those details. Maybe they haven't got round to me yet.

BTW, I log in via Gov Verify.
    Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and you’ll get rid of him every weekend.
  • RG2015
    Forumite
    drlabman wrote: »
    When I log in I see Income (within which is only my NI history), the 3 benefits, and the Pension forecast.

I had to submit a SA in about 2010, but I've been PAYE since then - up until I stopped working last March. I see none of those details. Maybe they haven't got round to me yet.

BTW, I log in via Gov Verify.
    Yes, I also have the three categories of Income, Benefits and Pensions. My PAYE section is in Income as is my NI section. My SA section is also in Income but only when I login via Govt Gateway.
  • dont_use_vistaprint
    dont_use_vistaprint Posts: 600
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 January 2019 at 7:49PM
    RG2015 wrote: »
    No, although my income tax estimate hasn’t changed as the total untaxed income estimate has remained the same.

There has however been a note on my personal tax account online for the last 2 or 3 months that my 2018/19 tax code has changed from 1304M to 1304M. I just ignored that one. :)

Mine also had the note of the change from 1150L to 1321L and yesterday I got the letter. I login here using Gateway ID:

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/sign-in/prove-identity

Then see the 7 main options
    "It is not the critic who counts..." - Theodore Roosevelt
  • newatc
    newatc Posts: 836
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Looked at my account today. Took me a while to find the untaxed interest section but after finding it found all the entries (haven't actually checked they are correct amounts) have been duplicated.
    Sent a message and they say they will reply in 2 days.

We'll see !
  • drlabman
    Forumite
    edited 9 January 2019 at 11:12PM
    Can I ask where you found your untaxed interest section?

And whether you login in via Govt Gateway or Govt Verify?

Update: This is all very strange. There seem to be different routes into the data HMRC hold.

Yesterday, I started my login process from here
    https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account
    and landed on my "Account Home", from where I couldn't see any way to get to my PAYE history.

This evening, I started from here
    https://www.gov.uk/check-income-tax-current-year
    and lo' and behold, I landed straight into my PAYE details. However, if I navigate from there to "Account Home", I'm in the same situation as yesterday.

How very strange. It's like it's not very joined up.

Regardless, I still couldn't find any recorded untaxed savings interest details.
  • Huh, I only logged in to look at that on Tuesday and the interest details weren't there, but they are today! I sign in using Gateway. I haven't received any emails or letters.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback